Personality Clash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Personality Clash

Lupa seems to have it out for what Ceasar Milan would call "unbalanced" dogs. Does anyone else have this problem or know what to do about it?

I find the hardest part trying to explain it isn't my dog's fault, she's just a dog and is responding to the other dog's behavior and just because their dog is small does not mean mine was the aggressor; in fact, Lupa has never been the one to show aggressive or defensive posture, behavior or noises first.

These dogs are usually small dogs coddled by their owners who insist on holding it at all times or dogs that display signs of anxiety, fear or insecurity such acting up on a leash and barking at nothing.

RIP: 1 Betta Fish (Quasimodo)
ilivenanigloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

huh? Are these dogs showing aggressive and she is reacting to it?

You are right, it is not your dogs fault. However, it is a training issue that YOU need to deal with. Just because a dog is going nuts at her does not excuse her behavior. You can train her to ignore those dogs.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Scarlett HATES any out of control dogs. If they are at all "unstable", whether that means overly excited, overly submissive, or just kind of neurotic, she tries to correct them. I wouldn't describe her as aggressive or out of control but she is very aware of her environment and it's up to me to let her know that I control the environment and she doesn't have to. She's a pretty typical cattle dog but lucky for me, she's also extremely responsive to me.

So to answer your question I taught her a "No dog" command. It's essentially a leave it but I taught it so that not only does she leave it but she looks at me and waits for my next command. She knows that it's only associated with dogs and means really awesome interaction with me and she trusts me to control her environment. It's been an AWESOME command

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sashadog,

Lupa is similar; when my roommate's dogs start brawling and playing rough, she will hop over to them and snap/bark in an attempt to make them settle down. It never works, but she keeps trying.

Thanks for the "no dog" suggestion; I'll try that! Maybe after she's learned it, I can use it to condition her to meet these unstable dogs, but "no dog" when the other dog shows aggression and, thus, enforce the idea that snippy little brats are to be left alone. I'll start with ignoring non-problem dogs first, though, and see how that goes.

Jax08,

Yes, it is her response to their actions. She is quite happy to meet them at first, then, after sniffing each other a few seconds, the other dog shows aggression and she returns it. She is also very "forgiving;" if the 2 are separated and reintroduced later, she forgets the former negative experience and starts from scratch. However, the other dog tends to run to its owner's lap, high ground such as furniture, or start acting defensively/aggressively toward her immediately.

I completely agree her behavior, although understandable, is unacceptable. Obviously, there is no way for me fix the other dog's instability, so even IF she is "in the right," at least from a canine perspective, it's a potentially dangerous situation and I can only work on the problem from her end. I truly believe I am the only person that can prevent these spats from becoming fights, or worse, since a small dog wouldn't stand a chance.

RIP: 1 Betta Fish (Quasimodo)

Last edited by ilivenanigloo; 09-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.
ilivenanigloo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

mine will pick these dogs out easy its wierd she wont hurt them or punish them though for being unbalanced. But she knows they are she might jump on them and they just end up getting scared. As long as im there mine is fine with dogs like this.

are you introducing your dog to other smaller snappy dogs on leash? i would not do that

If you want to introduce your dog to another dog on leash do it to another very stable dog, i would not let my dog meet another german shepherd on leash even i know that sounds bad but i just wouldnt lol

I save it for labs, goldens mountain dogs newfoundlands dogs that usually seem more mellow

I trust my dog but i dont trust theirs and then **** will break loose if theirs trys something stupid

dogs feel cornered on leash if you want to let her interact with smaller dogs make it offleash the smaller dogs wont be so snappy most of the time but not always.

Last edited by pets4life; 10-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I absolutely CANNOT let my two near small dogs well behaved or not. It's difficult I don't even know where to begin to socialize them with small dogs but I will be going to classes in to address the issue...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

We brought Roxy into a home full of cats and a dog and none of them want anything to do with her The schipperke is old and set in his ways ( and seriously if I thought I could get Caesar in here to show us how to work with him I would do it in a heartbeat)...but he is on the lower level with my son..we have tried to introduce them a couple of times and he wants to shred on Roxy -- I'm thinking after she gains about 50 lbs she might be a better match for him but I won't keep forcing them together trying to "make this happen."
Buddy was never socialized..and my ex sister in law fell on him when he was a puppy while we were camping...seems like he never trusted people after that..totally an accident and she felt horrible but he was ok until then.
The cats want to be friends on their terms..not those of Roxy's..so Roxy stays in the kitchen most of the day while the cats roam and then at night..the cats get sent to the lower level or bedrooms while Roxy gets to come out and romp. Encounters are not pleasant..and we have 2 cats that will tease and torment..even to the point of scaling the gates and stuff just to get Roxy to chase them.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.