German Shepherds Forum banner

When breeders advertise..'natural suspicion", is this a good thing or a bad thing?

19K views 168 replies 32 participants last post by  cliffson1 
#1 ·
When breeders advertise..'natural suspicion", is this a good thing or a bad thing?

There is a common thread here on the forum of "my dog is reactive, my dog barks at people standing alone, my dog hackles at an unusual object, my dog is suspicious of strange people, my dog barks when someone knocks at the door, etc."

So, in looking a some websites of what I consider reputable breeders, I see in the description of their breeding dogs.."natural suspicion". I beleive they are promoting this as a good thing.

Would it be wrong to think that this is exactly the reason the above problems are existing? But, what would a GSD be without natural suspicion?...would it be a golden retreiver? Are the problems occuring because the natural suspicion is not balanced with strong nerves? Or is it training problems or lack there-of? I feel there must be a delicate balance to allow the dog to express this element of its DNA without making it a basket case by trying to mold it into a golden retriever.

If GSD's are supposed to have "natural suspicion" then it seems like many of these "problems" are normal behavior and the handling of the dog needs modified to help it succeed. Things you might do with a lab or golden would not be appropriate for a gsd, thus the problems.

So, that is my theorizing for the day..back to the question : do you think natural suspicion is what you look for in a good example of a gsd?

See less See more
#167 ·
i think you can take most any dog and make something out of them with the right handling. proof is my dog, fearful and insecure from the get go, very suspicious of his surroundings out of fear. it was touch and go learning how to handle him. he has had all opportunities in his life, he's 4 years now. done agility, and he is not scared of any surfaces, loud noises, etc. because of the help from an excellent breeder trainer in my area and Cliff you know her i have learned alot about my dog and learned how to handle him and train with him. he is excellent in OB and could definitely pass that part in SchH, he is an excellent tracker and loves it, and is totally involved with the track not whats going on around him. unfortunately because of his temp, we can't do protection work with him, which no doubt he would love judging from his tug work and his drive, but excels in every other way. took tons of work over the years to get his focus, but has been the best for him. not that everyone would want to dedicate themselves to working with a dog like this can be frustrating unless you have the right folks to work with. but i am proud of what we have accoplished and what i have learned as a handler of a dog with these issues. on the field this dog has every confidence in the world, and it has helped him in every day life. so, very possible to take a dog and make him all he can be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.