In dire need of advice, please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default In dire need of advice, please

My Dog kaiser is going to be 11 months old soon. He has suddenly developed an issue. I'm completely confused but it.

Sometimes when you go to pick something up off the floor, he lunges and bites at people. Or when someone moves while they are sitting down, or when they get up, he growls, sometimes lunges and bites. When people come into the room he sometimes charges them and jumps up and bites. I'm not sure if he's being dominate or resource guarding. Right now as i write this...he's laying on the floor, and ever so often staring down people and growling...

What do i do? How do i remedy this, I know i should talk to a trainer ..but up until that point, how should i deal with this??
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

How much training has he had prior to this? And what was his temperament before this started?

You say he is biting? How so? Full bites, nips, front or back?

Right now, he should be 100% managed, on leash or crated. This is to protect the people and Kaiser.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

IMO, If he has SUDDENLY developed this issue, I'd be making a vet appt. Just to make sure he doesn't have a medical problem. Other than that, a crate for sure until he can be evaluated by a trainer or someone with more experience.

This doesn't sound good...or safe
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When you write "people" is it you and your immediate family or casual friends or neighbors? What sort of items are you handling/picking up? To me biting is seriously crossing the line.

At this point all I can say, is that the adolescent stage is very challenging for the next 6 months or so. While searching for a trainer, research some training books and videos, and keep you dog leashed even when inside, or slowly try a muzzle until you can get good advice. Without details it is difficult to say how to deal with this.

Last question - is your dog well exercised?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If he only is nipping it could be playing. I agree with Gretchen - are you giving him enough exercise? Also have you been playing fetch with him and tug? Tug will give him an outlet for biting and lunging - be sure to let him win at the end. Have you done any obedience training with him? You may also want to look into mindgames - there are several threads on it in this forum. As Katsmuse suggested, first rule out any physical cause before working on the training and exercise. You also may want to think back and see if this behavior is only with certain people, also if there were small incidents in the past when he did the same thing. If you got him from a breeder, you may want to ask the breeder.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Is this at home or in public?

Anyone would have to know a LOT more about your dog's behavior before they could even hazard a guess at to te cause and even more so a solution! Maybe a film of it if you can do it safely? but most of all, CONTROL him as others have said so no one or your dog will be harmed.

Given that he is still a puppy - I would guess that you can change his behavior (assuming it is not a medical issue!).
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Vet visit first, then trainer. In my home, biting is something that results in discipline. Mouthing, playing, being a baby landshark is different. Growling, lunging and biting is not acceptable. Don't give him the opportunity to do it until you get help.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

It sounds like fear aggression.
Does he draw blood? Does someone speaking to him cause him to get aggressive? Was he a shy or aloof puppy? You need a vet check, like the others have said, and then you need a veterinary behaviorist or trainer. Until you figure out what's going on he needs to be muzzled or crated when you have guests over. Don't let people touch him in public and get him into an obedience class as soon as possible.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Did he have Pano? Not excusing, just another reason to say vet check.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

take him to the vet for a checkup...get his eyes checked...then maybe check for neurological issues.
if everything healthwise checks out...then look into training and socializing.
iloveshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.