In dire need of advice, please - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

Implement these immediately, especially leashed to you.

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

Do not give him "free reign" at ALL in your house. A dog attacking others hasn't earned "free reign".

When he's not leashed to you he's crated.

Attacking others is self-rewarding to him and he's rewarding himself, Take that away from him.

As far as "submits to me when he's on his bed", what does that mean? What measures are you taking to make sure he "submits"? Are you using rolling techniques or some such?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #52 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
He is currently in his 3rd bout of pano, i got his pills for him.
What pills, I think I've head that some of the meds they give you for pano can in some cases cause aggression as a side effect.

Would his behaviour coincide with around the time frame of starting the pills?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Implement these immediately, especially leashed to you.

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

Do not give him "free reign" at ALL in your house. A dog attacking others hasn't earned "free reign".

When he's not leashed to you he's crated.

Attacking others is self-rewarding to him and he's rewarding himself, Take that away from him.

As far as "submits to me when he's on his bed", what does that mean? What measures are you taking to make sure he "submits"? Are you using rolling techniques or some such?

He currently does not have free- reign , he never has yet because of his behavior..as far as him submitting to me on his bed, he used to have an issue with anyone coming towards him on his bed, he no longer does with me...I don't roll him, he rolls over himself and licks my hand. I sit down with him on his bed and he lays his head on my lap.

The pano pills was Tremadol, which i stopped giving him, because i think it made him nutty and some other one i don't remember but it was for inflammation, it started with a "V". But he started this way right after he ate a bad batch of food and he got extremely ill at 4 months old, during that time he started this kind of display as in not wanting to be approached or growling at movement.

i should add a few months ago i thought i was on my way to fixing all of this for about a month, he was fine, no attacking, no barking or growling...then suddenly out of no where he started again. I know to me its out of no where, probably some kind of trigger that I am no aware of.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Can you remember what changed during that month?

Also yes, I'd certainly do some bloodwork and see if there's a physical cause for the aggression.
You should go ahead and implement the "Mind Games" techniques, as long as you don't feel he'll attack you at any point during them.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you can, move out. Since the dog is fine with you alone and the dog's issue is with your poor mother. If you can't, you may need to consider giving the dog up , to the trainer who wanted him. If you want to keep the dog and live at home, then have an outside kennel for the dog where he stays unless he can be with you inside the house in his crate or loose in your room with the door shut and you mother knows not to enter the room.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #56 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here's another option. I would contact Hollow Creek Farm & Rescue Hollow Creek Farm Equine and Canine Rescue Inc Animal Rescue Dogs Horses Adoptions Sponsor Donations. They give training advice - the option is on their website. They really have experience with the "hard core" rescue dogs.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Can you remember what changed during that month?

Also yes, I'd certainly do some bloodwork and see if there's a physical cause for the aggression.
You should go ahead and implement the "Mind Games" techniques, as long as you don't feel he'll attack you at any point during them.
During that month, and really since we got Kaiser, and before really...My mother has anxiety problems, she get panic attacks suffers from depression. But During when he was around 4 months old, she started to get a little worse...I'm in no way blaming my mother at all i don't want anyone to take that statement the wrong way. Truth is, My mother, father and I decided to get a puppy as a family together, my mother went with me to the breeders and visited with me almost every other day...She and I thought having another dog, after our dog of 15 years passed away would help her in certain ways. Clearly, that hasn't gone to well, and despite everything she still loves him, i love him. This whole thing is terribly heartbreaking.

My finances at this time, i can't move out..

thank you to everyone for your advice/links/suggestions, i'm going to look into it all.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #58 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What about having your mom work with the dog more? Maybe others could chime in, because I'm not sure this is the best idea, but it's an idea.

What if she feeds the dog, walks the dog, trains the dog etc? Everything comes from her. Have her teach the dog to sit and wait for food, then she puts it down and gives the 'ok' to eat.

If you find a trainer to help you, I think it would be a good idea if your mom is involved.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am not blaming your poor mother either, but from what you are saying with her panic attacks, your dog is picking up on that. He senses her fear and anxiety and that is what makes him afraid and so he reacts. It probably all started when she had those severe eposides when he was only 4 months old. If you want to keep him, I really think, even if it means it means getting a roommate, that you will need to move out. Or consider rehoming your dog. It has got to be extremely stressful for your dog to live under these circumstances. If you still want to try training, be upfront with the trainer and explain your home situation.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Wait- the pup got really sick from bad food at 4 months old... and then the changes started?? So it could be from poisoning from the food?

I agree. For everyone's safety and mental health, I'd either move out or re-home the dog. Especially since you can't find a behaviorist/trainer to work with you. That just blows my mind. They're supposed to work with these types of dogs! I can't imagine the stress level in your home from all of this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.