In dire need of advice, please - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

What I am going to suggest may not be popular.....

Consider waiting on the neuter until after the trainer has done a full evaluation and the results are back on any blood test. I am not saying do not neuter, just the timing. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes after altering behavior does get worse (taking into account time needed for hormones to leave the system). That did happen with my dog and if I remember correctly a couple others on here. I would also make note of the meds he was on this last time, so the vet can look at a lower dose or a different med next time.

In the meantime, full management is needed: muzzle, lead on all the time. If anyone is unable to stop showing fear, the dog needs to be separated completely from them.

I have a dog that a former vet and a few trainers I had spoken with in the past said the best thing to do was pts. So I can understand your anger at hearing that. It does take working with the right people and understanding the work ahead of you, which it appears you do.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #42 (permalink)

If it were me I'd take Cliff up on checking his pedigree for clues and I'd be asking the vet about a full thyroid panel.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #43 (permalink)

The people i got Kaiser from, have been in close contact with me. Both of the parents of the litter, and the previous litter, ( the mother was bred twice, with the same stud), and none of the other littermates show any signs of what my dog is showing. She did inform me however, that one of the pups from kaisers litter is having a hip replacement, but...both of the parents are hip certified. The breeders are actually really good people, and have helped me out a lot, have called checking up on him etc. I don't blame them for anything with Kaiser. I have noticed most of his aggression is from sounds...he seems to have a noise sensitivity ...anyone have any suggestions on how to work with this issue with him?

Oh and Kaiser is getting neutered today.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hope Kaiser's surgery went well. And I'm sure you're relieved that is over. As for the noise sensitivity,I have a couple of ideas. I read in Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas, that she worked with a dog who was very scared of the train whistle. The dog lived in a house close to the tracks. She told the couple who owned the dog, to yawn when the train went by. When I was in college, I would walk a collie for elderly neighbors . The dog was terrified of thunder. He could sense a storm coming and would bolt and run home when they walked him. I did work with him and taught him to heel. When he would start to act nervous during our walks, I would have him heel. He had to concentrate on that and that seemed to help calm him. Giving Kaiser something to do when there is noise, and praising him for that, may help him also.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #45 (permalink)

Hi everyone

So the constant battle with my dog continues...

Some things have changed...as far as he is with me, he is fine, he submits to me on his bed, i can walk over to him and lay with him, he lays in my lap etc. I can handle anything, do anything. He no longer comes after me. The problem still lays with my mother. He seems to pick her out and comes after her all the time.

The biggest problem is: my mother sitting in her chair in the living room, scratching herself, or picking something off the table, or doing her knitting when she starts to unraveling the yarn, Kaiser comes after her. He has been letting her back into the room after she doesn't back down and tells him "NO" firmly...This stuff normally occurs late afternoon or night. But its not just limited to that, he has done it in the morning and early afternoon...

Its so hard because i see how he is with me and how he is with her. Its insanely frustrating. The trainer I had arranged for an evaluation with suddenly backed out and stopped returning my calls. Frankly, i think he just wanted kaiser because after i told him he was neutered a couple days later his interest dropped. ( He had told me a friend of his was looking for a GSD). But i had told him of course i would want to keep him if he was willing to work with me on these issues....

Anyone have any ideas at all..I have talked to my vet, to trainers I have called so many in state, even stated to call out of state, they all tell me the same thing that i have a dominance issue, I just think there's something more to it then that, Though i am not a dog expert by any means, the sheer lack of anyone willing to help me is killing me. I fear I will have to put my dog down, I have even tried to find an alternative home for him, I have called new England gsd rescue, other places, no one will take him, or if they would they told me straight up he would probably be put down. I feel like i keep hitting a brick wall
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Wow. So...huh. I would try the Tuft's Vet Behavioral clinic - not sure if you are in NE and can actually get there, or would need to do Pet or Vet fax but I would give that a shot.

I would also tether him to me in the house and not allow him to practice these behaviors with your mom. Not sure if you've had his thyroid check but it might be worth it. When you say he comes after her what does it look like?

Here you go: Tufts Animal Behavior Clinic : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

Got her info off of the Suzanne Clothier website:
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Wow. So...huh. I would try the Tuft's Vet Behavioral clinic - not sure if you are in NE and can actually get there, or would need to do Pet or Vet fax but I would give that a shot.

I would also tether him to me in the house and not allow him to practice these behaviors with your mom. Not sure if you've had his thyroid check but it might be worth it. When you say he comes after her what does it look like?

Here you go: Tufts Animal Behavior Clinic : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

Got her info off of the Suzanne Clothier website:

When he goes after her, he flips his tail up, and its very stiff, he looks very tense. Just before it happens, very quickly, it seems like he is trying to avoid her...he turns quickly, walks away, lowers his head...but then turns back to her and charges her barking...

I'm no where near NE. And honestly, everyone that has said they deal with behavioral issues and aggression has turned me away its leaving me a little bitter. Mostly, because i know there are worse dogs, haha, my dog is no angel but i mean I exhausted the phone book and online resources for a trainer, behavioral expert, or jus anyopne to talk to me and give me advice, i have scoured over books in stores and online articles about the issue since those seem to be the only things that cant cut me off saying " i can't help you, you have a dominance issue and a dog that lacks bite inhibition" after talking to me for literally 30 seconds with some of them.

And to answer a reply from a while back, Yes,he is vaccinated against rabies he's up to date on all of his shots.

Oh, and i have had his thyroid checked, and he is fine health wise. The vet did however think he had a brain tumor or something neurological that was wrong, but seeing as he has made huge progress with me, and only focuses it on my mother...that seems unlikely now.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I hope Kaiser's surgery went well. And I'm sure you're relieved that is over. As for the noise sensitivity,I have a couple of ideas. I read in Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas, that she worked with a dog who was very scared of the train whistle. The dog lived in a house close to the tracks. She told the couple who owned the dog, to yawn when the train went by. When I was in college, I would walk a collie for elderly neighbors . The dog was terrified of thunder. He could sense a storm coming and would bolt and run home when they walked him. I did work with him and taught him to heel. When he would start to act nervous during our walks, I would have him heel. He had to concentrate on that and that seemed to help calm him. Giving Kaiser something to do when there is noise, and praising him for that, may help him also.

I've actually tried playing with him while my mother is knitting, or when shes just sitting in the living room..moving around normally like a person would...and it does seem to distract him as long as i am distracting him CONSTANTLY, haha. Which leaves me no time during the day to do anything i have to do.

Anyone have any ideas while he will let her take him for walks and play with him outside, but as soon sometimes AS SOON as he gets in the door, he will go after her. It seems like he doesn't want her in his space, in the house, at all. I'm not sure why..

Another thing, just out of left field here, I don't know if he is protecting me, or thinks he is...he seems to be alot worse with her, i am in the room too. I also get really bad headaches, and my ear bleeds and i leak spinal fluid ( the doctors say i will end up with seizures from massive scar tissue in my brain) and he seems to be a lot worse with her, when i have a really bad headache....i don't even know I'm just reaching at this point
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #49 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I really doubt the Tuft's clinic will turn you away - and they can do stuff that is not in person - it's limited, but you know with Skype and things like that, you never know if they might even be able to "see" you. That's what the Vet/Pet Fax service is though (minus my Skype idea) a way for pet owners to get access to their behavioral clinic without having to be there.

Have you ever contacted a Karen Pryor certified trainer? I do not know how they would deal with these behaviors but...you can't just let this behavior continue on the off chance that something were to happen....just throwing that out there as a different approach. https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer/YghZP

Have you read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

Like I said, I would tether - this dog would not be near my mom unless he was attached to me, and if alone, he would be crated (I am guessing you do that but OCD forces me to say it).
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I really doubt the Tuft's clinic will turn you away - and they can do stuff that is not in person - it's limited, but you know with Skype and things like that, you never know if they might even be able to "see" you. That's what the Vet/Pet Fax service is though (minus my Skype idea) a way for pet owners to get access to their behavioral clinic without having to be there.

Have you ever contacted a Karen Pryor certified trainer? I do not know how they would deal with these behaviors but...you can't just let this behavior continue on the off chance that something were to happen....just throwing that out there as a different approach. https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer/YghZP

Have you read "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell.

Like I said, I would tether - this dog would not be near my mom unless he was attached to me, and if alone, he would be crated (I am guessing you do that but OCD forces me to say it).
I will look into doing that, thank you very much. I never leave my mother alone with him, no. And he is still crated when he is alone. I have thought about attaching him to something on a longer leash in the house, but not long enough for him to get at her when he decides to...I'm not sure if that would aggravate the issue or what. Sometimes I can't have him attached to me 24/7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.