In dire need of advice, please - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm sorry you are having these issues with Kaiser - it does sound like something is amiss with him -

At this point, I would work with your vet to try and find the issue - it does sound more like a neurological problem, rather than a behavioural one.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

Brain tumors are hard to diagnose, but do cause issues as you have stated. My granddaughter had a well bred Sheltie puppy that started attacking for no reason. He would be lying on the floor, on the bed, sitting beside you, whatever set him off and he attacked and drew blood , he was not playing or acting like he was going to bite, he meant it and they were full out attacks. Thank goodness he was only 20 lbs, he was 6 months old.
We did euthanize him and had an autopsy done, he had a brain tumor. Nothing could have prevented it, nothing medically could have been done to keep him from attacking. Was he in pain? We don't know, but also wonder if the attacks were from intense pain?
I hope things work out for your boy. He is alot bigger and able to do lots more damage than a Sheltie could. I ended up with stitches in my leg when he attacked me, that is when the decison was made to euthanize him.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

Im sorry this has happened to you. If this has been an ongoing problem that has escelated to this point I would say behavioural issues that have gotten out of control through a lack of boundaries and consistent leadership. If its out of the blue Id place my bets on medical in which case your vet would know best. I hope you have a good vet, testing can be hard on the pocketbook. Until then i would keep him crated, muzzled and well excersiced.
Blitzkrieg1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

PETFAX Behavior Consultation: Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University you can do that.

Your vet can do this: VETFAX Behavioral Consulation : Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine

I think those are a good starting point and could be helpful to you to get to that point of understanding what is happening/what you will do.

Contact your dog's breeder just to let them know what's going on - I know from a rescue/foster's point of view, we always like to know and if we can help with referrals, information, etc. we will.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Wyominggrandma's post expressed the worst fear that you probably have for your dog. But that is all it is - at this point you don't know, your dog could very well have an illness that can be treated with medication or surgery. Please give your vet a chance to diagnose the illness. Blitzkrieg1 has a good point about vet expenses, and again, your vet can help you with that by giving an estimate of the cost and payment plans. If you have vet insurance for your dog, that will certainly help. If you purchased your dog from a breeder with a health guarantee that could also help once a diagnosis is found. To help your vet find the cause, I suggest you keep a careful record of your dog's behavior: date/ time of attack, what set it off, what was your dog's behavior prior to the incident and after. Also note carefuly if your dog is sleeping well, eating, drinking water, peeing & pooping normally, behavior on walks and during playtime. Keep a record also of what your dog eats and be sure to include everything, treats and any table scraps. Include labels that list the ingredients from the dog food package and treats.You could start this detailed record now but also include, as much as you can remember details from the start of the first incident. Take the record when go to your next vet appointment. Until then, get the basket muzzle that was recommended, so that you can keep your dog on his schedule for walks and play. For your dog's sake so he doesn't pick up on your anxiety, try to keep a postive attitude.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've been wondering how did you react when Kaiser first lunged/bit? Did you correct him? Now, I understand that there may be a medical issue here, and that should be cleared up first. But aside from that, and considering it from training perspective and that your dog is in his adolscence, and that the behavior is continuing to get worse, it is possible that Kaiser is living up to his name, he has become the emperor. Sure when he was a puppy, he was fine, most are, or their antics are considered cute. But when the dog grows up, and those big teeth can do serious damage, it is no longer cute. Each time the dog acts up and gets away with the behavior, it encourages him to act up more and get away with more. It would be helpful for all of us who have posted on your thread, if you could let us know if you have done any training with Kaiser.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Was wondering if there was an update on this dog... Did you speak to the breeder about these issues? Have you gone back to the vet for more testing? Your last post describing the dog's behavior sounds much more than a behavioral issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just came on here and read all of this. No one can tell over the internet but it sounds more medical than anything else to me. I too would like to know an update on Kaiser. Poor family.

URO3, UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/20/03)
UAG1,URO3, UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/4/07)
UAG1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,RN,CGC, (4/4/12)

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Did the vet check his thyroid levels when you were there? Sudden behavior changes can sometimes be a sign of thyroid trouble (easily treated with an inexpensive medication). If your vet ran the thyroid labs in-house, I think I might be tempted to have a full thyroid panel (5-factor test or whatever it's called now) sent out to HemoPet, just to rule it out conclusively.

Here's some language from Dr. Jean Dodds, an expert on thyroid disorders in dogs (she runs HemoPet and personally reviews the lab results and reports there):

In recent years, many investigators have noted the sudden onset of behavioral changes in dogs around the time of puberty. Most of the dogs have been purebreds or crossbreds with an apparent predilection for certain breeds (e.g., Golden Retrievers, Shetland Sheepdogs, German Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, Akitas, Doberman Pincschers and Rottweilers). Many of these dogs also had begun to show the seasonal effects of allergies to inhalants and ectoparasites such as fleas, followed by the onset of skin and coat disorders, including pyoderma, allergic dermatitis, alopecia and intense itching.
A typical history starts out with a quiet, well-mannered and sweet natured puppy. The dog is outgoing, has attended puppy training classes to prepare for obedience, working or show events, and comes from a reputable breeder whose kennel has no history of behavioral problems.
However, at the onset of puberty, which varies from seven months to a year in age, sudden major changes in personality are observed. Typical signs may include incessant whining, nervousness, schizoid behavior, fear in the presence of strangers, hyperventilation, undue sweating, occasional disorientation and failure to be attentive. These can progress to sudden unprovoked aggressiveness in unfamiliar situations with other animals and with people, especially children.

The full article is here:
Behavioral changes associated with thyroid dysfunction in dogs.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Magwart, excellent post. I had wondered about thryoid also. I sure would do it. I'm keeping this in mind for the future. Hope Kaiser gets tested.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.