In dire need of advice, please - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe I missed it... But how long have you had him?
Did you raise him as a puppy?

Is he a rescue?
Or did you get him from a breeder?
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Like others have said, I would get a quick vet exam to rule out medical issues. I would also quickly get into training. Have you done any training. By this age you should have been training for several month already. Keep people from getting near enough to get bit until you get this under control. Leash, crate, and control until you figure it out. If you don't it could mean the end for your dog if it bites the wrong person. Socialization with dog wise people first. Keep children and non dog wise people at a distance until you work it out to protect the dog and you from legal problems. If it comes to it, a basket muzzle worn around the house will prevent any bites from happening and is more comfortable than the kind that keep the mouth closed completely. Here is a picture of Rossi, a friend's dog modeling the basket muzzle.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah, I'd take him to the vet first thing just to rule out anything medical going on, since this is new. Also, I think others' questions about who he is doing this to is important. My first GSD would nip/bite people (not our family) who came to our house/yard and picked things up. Didn't help that my ex-husband thought it was funny. We had to teach him no, that we didn't want him to do that. It can be that simple, then again it could be the first signs of resource guarding or some kind of fear aggression. More answers to some of the questions everyone has asked would be helpful.
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe View Post
It sounds like fear aggression.
Does he draw blood? Does someone speaking to him cause him to get aggressive? Was he a shy or aloof puppy? You need a vet check, like the others have said, and then you need a veterinary behaviorist or trainer. Until you figure out what's going on he needs to be muzzled or crated when you have guests over. Don't let people touch him in public and get him into an obedience class as soon as possible.
He did it again. Sorry if i jump around in this i'm really stressed out.

Last night he did draw blood. He attacked my mother as he was eating, she was walking away and he came at her.

He DOES shy away or growl sometimes when people talk to him. Or if someone moves their foot, or hand, or gets up. If you put your hand out to him he will shy away too, sometimes growls. No ,he wasn't this way as a puppy, he was so lovable and playful..He is currently in his 3rd bout of pano, i got his pills for him. The change in him is disturbing to me and nothing has happened, there has been no traumatizing event or bad experience

Another big issue is he has started going after people for simple stuff like, wiping done the counter with a cloth, he chargers at you. Or his you go to pick up something off the floor like a piece of paper, or even a clump of his hair, he charges barking and snapping.

I have made an appointment to have him neutered, not that i think this will completely fix the problem, but he constantly has an erection anymore and maybe he has some sexual aggression? Mixed with the pain from the pano this was a pretty bad bout he put almost no weight at all on his leg.

I'm highly considering getting him a muzzle, I saw the recommended one someone talked about in this thread. How safe is it for them to wear for an extended period of time? And what if muzzling him makes it worse? I mean he can't wear it forever, and then i will have to put it back on him, i'm worried that the second time i try and put it on he will pitch a fit.

People keep telling me to put him down, but i love him and i don't want to just give up on him.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevastra View Post
He did it again. Sorry if i jump around in this i'm really stressed out.

Last night he did draw blood. He attacked my mother as he was eating, she was walking away and he came at her.

He DOES shy away or growl sometimes when people talk to him. Or if someone moves their foot, or hand, or gets up. If you put your hand out to him he will shy away too, sometimes growls. No ,he wasn't this way as a puppy, he was so lovable and playful..He is currently in his 3rd bout of pano, i got his pills for him. The change in him is disturbing to me and nothing has happened, there has been no traumatizing event or bad experience

Another big issue is he has started going after people for simple stuff like, wiping done the counter with a cloth, he chargers at you. Or his you go to pick up something off the floor like a piece of paper, or even a clump of his hair, he charges barking and snapping.

I have made an appointment to have him neutered, not that i think this will completely fix the problem, but he constantly has an erection anymore and maybe he has some sexual aggression? Mixed with the pain from the pano this was a pretty bad bout he put almost no weight at all on his leg.

I'm highly considering getting him a muzzle, I saw the recommended one someone talked about in this thread. How safe is it for them to wear for an extended period of time? And what if muzzling him makes it worse? I mean he can't wear it forever, and then i will have to put it back on him, i'm worried that the second time i try and put it on he will pitch a fit.

People keep telling me to put him down, but i love him and i don't want to just give up on him.
I have never heard of pano causing aggression in dogs, but as someone else mentioned it, maybe there is a connection. Pain can definitely cause a dog to act differently, and if you are giving him meds, the meds might be causing a change in behavior.

No, sexual aggression -- no such thing. Lots of people do neuter their dogs at the age your dog is because a lot of young dogs (and bitches) go through a teen-age phase where they forget their training and try to push their limits. It is a phase and with or without neutering (spaying) they should improve given they are worked through it with consistent management and training, and IF that is the problem.

We do not know that that is the case here. At this point your dog is at is probably an ok time to neuter if you had planned to do that. Do not think it will magically change this behavior though, because it will not.

I wonder what kind of medication your dog is on, and if there is a different type of medication you could try for pain, etc. Definitely talk this all over with your vet.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Does he attack you or your spouse?
He can not be around guests unless he is crated or muzzled. He will bite again. He should be wearing a muzzle or at least a halti when you walk him. You have a dangerous dog. My girl Lila is the same way-we have to be very careful with her. I highly recommend the book "Aggression in Dogs" by Brenda Aloff. You may want to talk to your vet about psych meds for the dog that can help balance his brain chemistry. It wont cure him but it can help. Private training with an expert in FA dogs can be very beneficial for him. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Sounds very similar to my girl, which we adopted at 4 y/o. My pup was diagnosed with fear aggression and we now muzzle her where ever we go. Its safe for us, others and her. Plus, it seems to keep more people away from us on walks, which is great for her. We have worked with a behaviorist and dogs can work through fear aggression, but expect a year of dedication to training and teaching the dog to relax itself in what it sees as stressful situations.

For a muzzle, get one that is open and allows your dog to pant, take treats and drink water. I picked up the Baskerville Muzzle (size 5) and its perfect for my dog. Watch some youtube videos on how to properly introduce a dog to a muzzle. My girl thinks that the muzzle generates car rides and dispenses treats and has no problems wearing it.

For basic training, look into BAT training and LAT games, easy training to help your dog overcome fears. Works best if you have people who can help by being a trigger (from a distance).

Lastly, be calm and reassuring to your dog. This is the hardest thing, he feels your stress and he'll lash out. GSD are extremely emotional and in tune with the emotions around them.

Good luck and be patient.
Ares0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

If you haven't already talked to your breeder, I would be doing this ASAP. This is not a sound dog from the sounds of it. No respectable breeder would brush this off. I'm very sorry. If not a medical problem it's likely to be a genetic issue.. and one that isn't fun to deal with in the long run.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What meds is he on for pano.....rimadyl? Send me a pm with his pedigree....just curious what I will see. Seldom are situations like this occurs out of the blue....usually it is a gradual increasing behavior, whether it is genetic or lack of structure in home. Things like seizures can have an onset of aggressive behavior in people and dogs.....not normal but can be the case. It's is worth your while to take your dog to a very good behaviorist or trainer whom can usually spot very quickly the underlying causation if it's genetic or environmental.....if its medical you need your vet weighing in on possible causation.jmo
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes ,He gets a couple walks a day and he gets free play during the day. He gets plenty of exercise.

Kaiser will charge you if you are simply wiping something off your shirt while sitting in the living room chair. He is not playing, its a full on attack, he barks ,growls ,snarls...and bites. If you slightly move your foot he will do the same thing.

The types of things on the floor are like, a paper you drop, or clumps of his hair on the kitchen floor. Trying to put the door stopper back in front of the door. its literally everything.

Today i had a bunch of clothes i was folding on the chair, he didn't like that i was moving stuff around up there. Noises really bug him, if anyone coughs, he growls and gets really rigid.

He is attacking the members of the house, Myself and my mother and my father. It was ONLY my mother, but recently he started with my father. And now myself. The past 2 days he has come at me 3 different times.

I went into the vets yesterday and spoke with him about Kaiser. I let him know every issue he's been having, how he has been acting. He thinks he might have a tumor or some other neurological thing going on with him. Its a terrible situation that i really don't know how to go about
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.