German Shepherds Forum banner

I think many of you may be right about Kira's aggression tendency.

26K views 173 replies 45 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
I've been keeping a close eye on my Kira. She's been with all of us for almost a year, and I've come here for every little thing, and have gotten great answers.

I think I may not be reading this correctly, and may warrant a discussion.
Her actions are escalating.

A few days ago, I shrugged off Kira going bonkers at a Chihuahua that showed up at my house unattended. That may have been more a red flag than I realized.
I may have a developing issue that needs attention.

Today, I observed a few new bouts of "what may appear as aggression". I'm not sure what's she's doing. She's charging forward, with a loud bark, and stopping at the "victim", and doing nothing at that point, but a sniff and walk away.

1) My daughter's 18 yr old male friend comes up from the basement. Kira didn't know he was the house. As soon as she saw him, she barked, tail up and curled, and barked as she moved towards him. He's a dog owner, so he stood still. She stopped barking, sniffed and walked away.

2) Kira was sitting inside my home, laying on an ottoman that overlooks the front of my house. All was quiet. My 13 yr old daughter had a male friend with her in front of my house. I was also outside with my daughter and her friend. My daughter asked for a ride to the mall.
As soon as the male friend approached my truck, and opened the door to enter, Kira started going bonkers at the window.

3) 9pm tonight. I take my 8 yr old and 13 yr for ice cream. Kira comes with us.Upon returning, I pull into my driveway, and see my 18 yr old daughter at the top of my steps with a male friend. Kira literally chased him in the house. Barking and approaching. Knowing that Kira is not known to be aggressive, and witnessing today's behavior, I commanded a stop, and down. She obeyed, and just dropped. The boy walked past her, and nothing happened.

What's going on?

See less See more
#91 ·
I find that there is a fine line between "protective GSD" and "reactive GSD." I feel like some people don't want to teach their dog to stay calm in situations in case that one time there is danger and the dog doesn't react. Sadly, this is exactly what Carmen is talking about. This has to do with nerve and temperament. You shouldn't have to teach your dog to stay down when people come in because the dog is running at them and barking. It should just be a natural reaction depending on how everyone else is reacting at the time.

Here is an example...I live in a second floor apartment that has a private entrance. You walk in, and go straight up stairs to our living room. My dog usually greets people at the top of the stairs. We've never had anyone over that was a danger, or freaked us out, but his reaction is easily seen by his tail. If its someone he knows/seen a lot, the tail starts wagging as soon as they walk in, if its someone new (usually we let those people in) he doesn't wag as much, but he comes down to investigate and greet.

So...although I would definitely recommend teaching Kira a better way to greet people (work with her with treats and corrections when she does things like that). I don't think you're too worried about security (I'm not) and you just want her to be a sociable dog that you don't have to worry about. She seems to be an adolescent girl with some problems, problems that most dogs have in some way or another. If you have time, go back to obedience class, start agility, do something that will give her more confidence and give her an outlet for her energy.

Mrs. K...don't know if you read the chihuahua story but the chihuahua walked in with the owner and Anthony's younger daughter. So it wasn't sneaking onto the territory (that was a different thread). My assumption would be that if a family member walks in with new people, the new people are clearly okay and allowed to be there. Now...if the chihuahua roams and goes onto their lawn and Kira is in the yard off-leash for some reason, she can do whatever is necessary to get that dog off (that's just instinct). Sadly even that kind of situation will cause problems in the neighborhood. Kira has a great pedigree, she should be an excellent example of our breed, the father was world sieger, and I'm sure the mother is no slouch as well. She has issues that have to do with the expectations of a dog in normal day to day society.

I think my goal for a GSD is the same as Anthony's. I wanted a dog that was fun, playful, energetic, and could just do whatever the family wanted. No issues with new people, old people, children, babies, and other dogs. Just a dog that loves life. I don't need him to protect me, I don't need him to defend his territory, I just need his to not have a worry in his mind and listen well. Now, I got lucky and got exactly that (from a breeder that is so far below where Kira came from). Trust me...no sieger champions or even challengers in my boy's lines. Anthony is just trying to get through these issues to get to the dog he wanted, and I don't think they are such huge issues, they just need to be worked on. We're not talking about the next world schutzhund champion, or westminster champion, just a normal family pet.

#99 ·
I find that there is a fine line between "protective GSD" and "reactive GSD." I feel like some people don't want to teach their dog to stay calm in situations in case that one time there is danger and the dog doesn't react. Sadly, this is exactly what Carmen is talking about. This has to do with nerve and temperament. You shouldn't have to teach your dog to stay down when people come in because the dog is running at them and barking. It should just be a natural reaction depending on how everyone else is reacting at the time.

Here is an example...I live in a second floor apartment that has a private entrance. You walk in, and go straight up stairs to our living room. My dog usually greets people at the top of the stairs. We've never had anyone over that was a danger, or freaked us out, but his reaction is easily seen by his tail. If its someone he knows/seen a lot, the tail starts wagging as soon as they walk in, if its someone new (usually we let those people in) he doesn't wag as much, but he comes down to investigate and greet.

So...although I would definitely recommend teaching Kira a better way to greet people (work with her with treats and corrections when she does things like that). I don't think you're too worried about security (I'm not) and you just want her to be a sociable dog that you don't have to worry about. She seems to be an adolescent girl with some problems, problems that most dogs have in some way or another. If you have time, go back to obedience class, start agility, do something that will give her more confidence and give her an outlet for her energy.

Mrs. K...don't know if you read the chihuahua story but the chihuahua walked in with the owner and Anthony's younger daughter. So it wasn't sneaking onto the territory (that was a different thread). My assumption would be that if a family member walks in with new people, the new people are clearly okay and allowed to be there. Now...if the chihuahua roams and goes onto their lawn and Kira is in the yard off-leash for some reason, she can do whatever is necessary to get that dog off (that's just instinct). Sadly even that kind of situation will cause problems in the neighborhood. Kira has a great pedigree, she should be an excellent example of our breed, the father was world sieger, and I'm sure the mother is no slouch as well. She has issues that have to do with the expectations of a dog in normal day to day society.

I think my goal for a GSD is the same as Anthony's. I wanted a dog that was fun, playful, energetic, and could just do whatever the family wanted. No issues with new people, old people, children, babies, and other dogs. Just a dog that loves life. I don't need him to protect me, I don't need him to defend his territory, I just need his to not have a worry in his mind and listen well. Now, I got lucky and got exactly that (from a breeder that is so far below where Kira came from). Trust me...no sieger champions or even challengers in my boy's lines. Anthony is just trying to get through these issues to get to the dog he wanted, and I don't think they are such huge issues, they just need to be worked on. We're not talking about the next world schutzhund champion, or westminster champion, just a normal family pet.
That's not the way it happened. My 8 year old daughter came in. Front door was still open. A few moments later, the Chi walked in with the owner lagging behind.
The Chi was litteraly walking into my home unattended.

#94 ·
The process of training, really training, not just going to obedience classes, but learning the dog, training, the dog, that is where bonding and trust/confidence comes. It does not happen overnight, and while you can definitely pass in six-eight weeks, it doesn't mean she is done. If you are going to obedience classes, then work on a title. If you are good at the novice level, start working on open. While it is not the title, it is the journey, sometimes, if you just go to classes, you limit yourself to her going only so far, because that is all you want or need.

Increase your stays, in distance and in time. Train a down on recall. Train an emergency down.

When you have been working with the dog, and you realize your dog is getting near her threshold, you can give her a command, and then suddenly, you have a dog that goes from "uh-oh, do I need to get him out of here, this is scary, what should I do, should I bark, should I chase him, should I ..." to a dog that is "SIT, yes, I know SIT, that's my person, he says SIT, he's got it covered. I don't have to worry, because I know SIT." I know dogs don't think exactly like that. But too often, we wait until a dog fails and then correct them for doing the wrong thing, which in some cases is not exactly fair, and in most cases isn't helpful at all. If we tell the dog what we want them to do, and they do it, we can praise them, and that builds their confidence. That will have them looking to you when they are uncertain about something.

#97 ·
Anthony, this is a dog that is related to yours through Yasko vom Farbenspiel. He's scored a V in the IPO3, he's scored a V1 at the BSZS 2011, he also is a SAR dog.

Not all Showlines are bad dogs. Schutzhund - Xander von Fidelius Drago

Take this as an example and make something of it. Give your dog work. Work with your dog, include the family and make it a family project. If you believe you have a good dog on your hands, put that dog to work and train her. Get into some serious obedience training and serious obedience training IS INTENSE! It will tire her out and you get to know yourself and your dog as a handler team.

#101 ·
Anthony, this is a dog that is related to yours through Yasko vom Farbenspiel. He's scored a V in the IPO3, he's scored a V1 at the BSZS 2011, he also is a SAR dog.

Not all Showlines are bad dogs. Schutzhund - Xander von Fidelius Drago

Take this as an example and make something of it. Give your dog work. Work with your dog, include the family and make it a family project. If you believe you have a good dog on your hands, put that dog to work and train her. Get into some serious obedience training and serious obedience training IS INTENSE! It will tire her out and you get to know yourself and your dog as a handler team.
The saddest part of all this?.....
I keep in touch with some of Kira's siblings. A few of them are doing a fine job in their Shutzhund training. I see them in action, and I feel as if I've deprived Kira of that privilege.

That's an entirely different thread.

#109 ·
Classes are just part of it, you have to daily train if you want to progress. I train once a week with my club and go to private lessons where we work on certain things. Then I train almost daily to reenforce what we're working on.

#110 ·
You go once a week, and then you take it home with you and every day you give her a short training session, or two short training sessions.

I think the key is not to think you are done when you complete a six week course. We can continue to train our dogs until they are geriatric. No it is not necessary for basic manners and obedience, but people who are really into their dogs, often find that their class time with the dog is something that both dog and owner get a whole lot out of. You can always find more and better stuff to teach a willing dog.

#112 ·
I'm way late to this party, and it sounds like you've gotten a ton of advice from some of the best minds on this forum, so it seem silly for me to add my 2 cents but here goes.

My dogs, both of them, would react the same way to the appearance of a stranger on the property. They would run up to and bark at someone coming into my house too. And not only that, my dogs will bark when people they know come onto the property, or into the house. Last week when I came home from a bike ride, guess who ran up barking at me? :)

My problem with the dogs barking stems from me being a pretty clueless dog owner (at least at first, I'd like to think I have learned) and the fact that we rarely get visitors. You, on the other hand, have lots of visitors by the sounds of it and therefore you have a ton of training opportunities. What I would do if I wanted to work through this issue of barking at strangers (or non-pack members since you say some of these people are known to Kira) is to try to make each and every experience a positive one.

Can you get your visitors to pre-load their pockets with treats before they come over? Immediately upon seeing Kira, have them toss some treats down for her, even if they have already been at your house for a while but in a different room or something. And have them give her the treats even if she is barking at them. It might sound like they are rewarding the fear, but you are just trying to change the tone of the interaction from one of fear (and has she ever gotten scolded for this barking? because that probably enhances the negative connotations she has of visitors coming) to one of positivity. You can also reward the behavior of Kira stopping barking, if and when she does.

I'm a big fan of treats (it helps that I have a couple of chow hounds) and their effect on stressful situations. It turns "people who scare me" into "people who might have food!" and with a LOT of work (and dreadfully slow progress I must admit) you can slowly change Kira's reaction from fear to at least a couple short barks and then acceptance.

Oh, and I want one of Carmen's dogs!

#115 ·
to the OP- you are continously setting up your dog to fail ... every "scenerio" every "fake attack" video , every time you do something that you think isnt harmful IS HARMFUL to your dog... you are continously ignoring the excellent advise being given and you are continously setting up your dog to fail...you continously put her in bad situations to try to analyze her behavior- just STOP.. either get a behaviorist in or find her a home where she wont be subjected to be put in bad situations and be confused...

I feel sorry for Kira, she doesnt deserve this and should something happen it will be blamed on her when its really YOUR fault...

#116 · (Edited)
either get a behaviorist in or find her a home where she wont be subjected to be put in bad situations and be confused...

I feel sorry for Kira, she doesnt deserve this and should something happen it will be blamed on her when its really YOUR fault...
I have to disagree and point out that this is a little harsh and uncalled for IMO:(

#117 ·
i fully stand behind my post.. he is setting the dog up to fail over and over.. he allows her to charge people, then corrects.. he tells the dog to go after his wife (he was joking i know but its still bad to do), the dog has weak nerves, and he is not helping the situatiob.. even to suggesting he was going to set her up to video tape her behavior- again, setting the dog up to fail
.. he is giving mixed messages to her ..

just because the other littermates are fine doesnt mean every dog in that litter has strong nerves, kira obviously doesnt have solid nerves.

now, its VERY possible its all the owner... some dogs with a different owner will act different.. its very possible .

i dont sugarcoat. the OP needs to step back and STOP and THINK with this dog before he acts... before he commands her to go after the wifes ankes (that he thought was a joke and funny . which to some it is, but with a dog with weak nerves its a bad idea to allow the dog to nip)

#118 ·
Besides this video, what else has the OP done in your opinion? He listed different scenarios in his home that Kira reacted to. This is a female that is headed for maturity. The only thing that is different with her then any dog that has strong nerves is that she barks as she is going forward, then sniffs, and is fine. If she didn't bark but approached people in a confident silent manner, would that make for a strong nerved dog? She listens to commands instantly and like the OP states all of this happens in the home, HER home. I would never walk into someone house or suddenly appear without making it known if they had a GSD. I have seen the OP ask tons of questions, ask for advice, and follow that advice. Pictures and videos are posted of this dog with other dogs in different settings with no problems. The dog looks happy from what I can see. The OP just needs to fine tune how she reacts in the house and teach her that its okay for these people to be there, at the same time the kids need to help the OP out, so that no one gets hurt during the training process. Since I have joined I have seen nothing but the OP working with this dog and trying their best to be a good owner.

#119 ·
This has really taken on a life of its own.

I think the idea of getting out once a week with some other knowledgeable dog folks who can actually see Kira in person and help is wonderful. It sounds Kira is doing well outside the home but look at all the socialization she has had in that context to build her confidence.

Also the suggestions for extra socializing in the home as it was proposed and with every possible permutation. kids popping out of rooms. wrestling. laughing giggling, over time. all is good and wonderful.

With three daughters and a wife it is hard to imagine there is not going to be some push back if Anthony tries to get out and do too many more "dog things" ...may be maybe not a consideration........

#120 ·
From what it sounds she may not even need more socialization. I think what that dog needs is a break and a place to retreat to from the crazyness. It sounds like there is a lot of traffic going in and out of the house. Give her a break and let her rest in a crate for an hour or two. That can do wonders, especially if a dog is a little on the insecure side. Just take her out of the picture if she gets a little too excited and concerned.

#123 ·
The last time I looked at this thread, it was 4 pages long. I'm really curious as to the almost 10 new pages.

OP. The advice people say about the dog feeding off you-- always remember that. I was just doing an off-leash walk down a very deserted dirt road. It's my friend's property that I have permission to be on, but a strange car came rolling up behind us and I got anxious.. As soon as I got anxious my dog came right to my side, with hackles up and on alert. Which in turn made me more anxious, but it was just a couple of boys who got lost, supposedly. Or the big GSD at my side getting gruffy made them think to take a detour.. Who knows.

I think your willingness to come here and learn is a great thing and I hope you and Kira figure this out and make lots of progress in the near future.

#124 · (Edited)
Remember the title of this active thread? "I think many of you may be right about Kira's aggression tendency"

and you said with concern that "her actions are escalating".

Then for the rest of the thread you are battling with people who point out that this dog is insecure , that her aggression is fear based , contradicting your own thread title .
When we were introduced to Kira the issues had to do with the dog park , her reluctance to go play , she, playing the shrinking violet , hiding under the table . Later when she had been with you for a while she would fly past you and head for the exits .

She wants to have a buffer around her to allow her to avoid . I don't believe she is a confrontational animal seaking fights . I think she wants relief from conflict and pressure and her threshold in that perception of pressure or stress is low .

In your HOUSEHOLD there is limited space to retreat , feeling cornered - so she goes forward to drive away the 'threat' . Pressure doesn't have to be an order to perform , it can be pressure to be friendly .

Also , dogs , like this, tend to be super sensitive to environment and to "handler" and if that handler is frustrated , or displeased , that can't be hidden from the dog , who takes it to heart, because things are wrong - everything is falling apart .

At peak hours of household traffic I would put her in a "safe harbour" , whether a comfy crate in a private corner or room , or outside in a spacious kennel for her to enjoy without harrassment .

Then when the house is sane again bring her out and do something rewarding to her --

She needs to be confident in you . Stabilizing force.

any thoughts on this

#125 ·
any thoughts on this
Agreed. Just like I said in my last post. In her case, I wouldn't do more socializing in a high traffic home, instead, I'd take her out of the picture and give her a place to retreat until the craziness is over.
That is what I used to do with my boy when it got too much for him. Putting them away when they get too anxious is the best thing you can do. All you have to do is spot that moment where they are about to go over threshold and take them out.

#128 ·
I have to be honest...

This was an ugly thread., and I'm not sure what I'm feeling today.

I read the entire thread again, and looking back, I feel as if maybe I should not have gotten Kira in the first place.
She deserves more than what she has here, and I also feel as if I've contributed to her behavioral patterns. My so-called training is inadequate to say the least, and I obviously lack the knowledge and skills to raise a dog of this caliber.

I apologize if my thread offended anyone.

I've learned a great deal from this site, and would like to thank you all for taking the time walk me through Kira's first year. It's been a great experience for both of us.

#134 ·
I read the entire thread again, and looking back, I feel as if maybe I should not have gotten Kira in the first place.
She deserves more than what she has here, and I also feel as if I've contributed to her behavioral patterns. My so-called training is inadequate to say the least, and I obviously lack the knowledge and skills to raise a dog of this caliber.
EVERYONE has issues with their dogs. You are overanalyzing Kira's issues and blowing them out of proportion. No dog is perfect, or no one would need to socialize, train, and manage their dogs. You are no different than anyone else here. This is your first GSD, if not your first dog, yes? It's a learning curve.

Of course you have contributed to behavioral patterns. Get off your cross and join the club. :)

You have a nice dog, and you have done a great job socializing her and dealing with issues as they come up. Still, your dog is not perfect and neither are you. I'd say you are better than the average owner, you have a pretty typical GSD with typical GSD issues, there is no need to feel inadequate, just take the good advice you've gotten here and stop getting defensive!

I know you like to think that, because of her pedigree and price, she must be a "perfect" dog, and that you messed her up somehow. That is not true. Temperament is temperament, and you cannot change it, you have to work with it.

Find a trainer or behaviorist to help you get through the issues. In the meantime, I agree with the others who said to give Kira a bit of a break. Give her a safe spot away from the traffic in the household, so she can relax and not feel like she has to take everything into her own paws. She's had plenty of socializing, now allow her to take a back seat while you keep control of the household.

#130 ·
Anthony - this thread is certainly different. I had a hard time following it as it was like being in the mind of Sybil. So many voices!

I'd say go out and train for some fun.
How to Choose a Dog Trainer

Dog Trainer Search

Finding Help - Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers

Find a Great Dog Trainer | Karen Pryor Academy

Peaceable Paws

Think of a dog like a liquid - they can expand to the size of their containers. If you have a strong nerved dog, you can let them have a bigger container because they still need one, but are able to discern and make better choices on their own. A weaker dog needs a smaller container - stronger walls (you) - less choices and more controls to be set up for success because they typically do not choose good things on their own. So for my dogs, I leash and watch, shape and reinforce and as they show that they can handle each new thing - able to reproduce the behavior consistently - they get a new thing to try, but again, leash, watch, shape, reinforce.

Find something enjoyable to do with her that you feel confident doing. I was not comfortable doing rally and my weak (very) nerved girl turned inside out because I was unable to help her because I couldn't help myself (left, right, blah blah blah - I can't do that!). Might take a few private lessons to get to the point of being able to lead. That's okay!

#153 ·
Think of a dog like a liquid - they can expand to the size of their containers. If you have a strong nerved dog, you can let them have a bigger container because they still need one, but are able to discern and make better choices on their own. A weaker dog needs a smaller container - stronger walls (you) - less choices and more controls to be set up for success because they typically do not choose good things on their own.

Mind...BLOWN! Great analogy Jean. I love this.

#131 ·
I think you feel too low about your own caliber and too high about your dog's

She has some genetic nerve issues [based on all you have said, but none of us has actually seen her]. Many of us have been there with one dog or another-no shame in that. A dog with good nerve and confidence "bred in" hardly needs any socialization--one with a weaker temperament needs all the permutations covered and a lower stress life.

Just buck up, realize it, don't push her past her limits, and enjoy her.

She has a much better life than many of our own dogs and you have worked through some issues with her than others in your shoes have not mastered.

#138 ·
Just buck up, realize it, don't push her past her limits, and enjoy her.

She has a much better life than many of our own dogs and you have worked through some issues with her than others in your shoes have not mastered.
Completely agreed here. I think you do a great job with her. You take her out, you exercise and socialize her, and you make her part of the family and your daily life.

None of us are perfect and most of us don't have perfectly behaved dogs. Kira has her thresholds and you need to learn to recognize them and not push her past them.

She has her issues, but so does most of our dogs and so do most of us. Blame her genetics, blame certain things you've done, blame past experiences. It's all in the past. Figure out a plan now and do your best to execute it. Either way, I think Kira's lucky to be part of your family and I wouldn't think for a second that she should be with some other family.

#132 ·
Anthony, you've been working hard with Kira and you shouldn't feel like you let her down. There's no such thing as a perfect dog anymore then there is a perfect owner, dogs and humans don't speak the same language. We all muddle through our dogs problems the best we can

Honestly I would find a behaviorist to come to your house and assess her. That can be a major help and will hopefully give you some tools which you can use

#135 ·
Originally Posted by Anthony8858

Anthony,

we are all having the same issues one or the other way.

We all contribute to our dogs behavioral patterns. None of us is immune to that and you know what, she is not a bad dog. Just stop pitying yourself and get to work :)

You don't lack the knowledge and skills. Even experienced people like Cliff and Carmen or others, never stop learning. Every day is a learning experience and everything you learn is another tool in your box.

Neither of us was born experienced. We all have our issues.

Just recently one of my girls broke out of her crate because she saw and heard the other girl do bitework. All the crate games went out the window. So the positive only training is just not enough in her case and I have to start proofing her off in these situations and if I have to, use pressure on the dog.

See, neither of us is perfect. Every single one of us had stuff happen with their dogs. Every single one of us has a living creatures and sometimes we just can't predict what they are going to do next.

I guarantee you, there is no such thing as the perfect dog.

We all had our dogs bark at other dogs, at people, had the leash slipped through our fingers, a dog that broke out of a crate or kennel, a dog fight, sick dogs, injured dogs, worried dogs, dogs that get anxious, excited etc.

It comes with dogs. They are not machines. So we are all in the same boat.

And even though some people put a lot of emphasize on genes and rock solid nerves, believe me, you will have issues with these dogs as well, not the same issues that you have with a thin nerved dog but other issues.

There is no such thing as raising a dog and not having any kind or form of issues at all because it's a living, breathing, bleeding being.

#137 ·
Anthony, it is like marriage, the first ten years are the hardest.

But really the toughest year, is year 1, at least for dogs. Year two will be a bit easier, she will grow more confident, and you will learn her, that is, you will learn to be aware of the environment and make slight adjustments that will be so subtle, and it will become second nature, that by year three, it will be darn right easy. Partly due to training, partly due to the work she has had with you, partly because she has matured, and partly because of how she has trained you.

I have a nine month old girl right now that I was ready to GIVE to our trainer last night. I offered (only half-joking) and she refused, lol! I am confident that by this time next year, I will wonder what the heck I was thinking.

I will tell you this too. Cujo, my parents dog, came to live with my Mom and Dad when he was 14 weeks old. No training classes. No socialization, though their house does have more people in and out than mine for sure. He STILL barks at the guys and whines for girls. People do come right in to my parents. Cujo does recognize them, and he still barks, but we don't have to drag him away or anything. He did not meet babies until my sister brought hers home for the first time nearly five years ago.

He was downright scary. But Mom put up a pet yard (for the babies) in the living room, and we kept subjecting the poor things to this large, energetic 2 year old dog with no manners, and no socialization.

At Christmas time, and one other time he snapped at one of the kids for falling/jumping on him. The children were rebuked/explained to them that they hurt the dog. He has barked at children, he has knocked them down and pinned them with his giant paw.

My sister kept bringing the kids over, and they trained Cujo how to act around little ones. Now when my little sister brings her 1 and 2 year old, he is careful, and he is very good. Actually, after that first year, he has been awesome with kids. He lets them follow him, hand on his butt, he will wait for them, turning his head back, he gets all excited when they come. He has even let them cover him up with a blanket-tent they were playing with -- the older girls. And the girls are all excited about seeing Cujo. It will be hard when he goes.

It did not happen over night. It was not written in his genes. I would be over there hanging on to the dog while the kids were running around. But I had to go home at some point, and the next day (they would stay over-night a couple of times a year), I would come over and the dog seemed just fine without my death grip.

It is scary, because if he bites one of those kids, my mother will not hesitate to have him put down. They, and particularly she, loves him dearly, but she is convinced that he will not bite them. And he hasn't. But 98% of the time Cujo is around only people that he knows, all of them older adults. So he is generally unexposed to running, screaming kids.

When he was 10 months old, he was already over-sized, big, energetic, barky. Dad was working, and Mom was recovering from a bowel surgery, and the home health nurse had to come in and change the dressings. Cujo let her come right on in, and work on Mom. Mom could not have stopped him if he decided to be more assertive or aggressive.

I got a lot of guff for giving him to my parents. But that noise has silenced now. Even my Dad takes him out and walks him, and he has had a few falls (not with the dog), and a few surgeries (bone put in his neck, two shoulder surgeries, and his gall bladder) since we have gotten Cujo. The dog does not get walked regularly, but it is pretty amazing that he gets walked at all, considering the type of surgeries my dad has been through.

The dog is seven now. He is easy to manage, still barks at guys he knows coming in, still whines for girls, still has had no training or socialization. But even my Brother in Law that threatened to kill every dog in my kennel if he bit him, lets his one year old and two year old have access to the boy.

My point is that there is a lot of hope. Your dog is YOUNG. It sounds like she is actually pretty normal. Build her confidence and build your trust in her through training.

I should not say my parents' dog has no training. He is trained to sit on the rags when he comes in from outside when it is muddy. He is trained to sit and down and take the treat gently after his meals. He is trained to let Mom or Dad work the chain when he goes out. He is trained to pull my mother out of bed if necessary if he needs to go out. And he can talk quite plainly with his eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.