Will neutering help with aggression?? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

It won't solve it, but can make him easier to work with.
If I was a trainer I would recommend altering your dog, scheduled to coincide with training.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am pro-neuter but if this dog is truly "severely aggressive" to both humans and dogs then there is something really wrong here. I have owned and fostered dogs that were fear aggressive to people or dogs but never both.

Before I scheduled a neuter (and, again, I am pro-neutering and think you should neuter him) I would schedule an appointment with a really good certified animal behaviorist to figure out what is going on with your dog and how to fix it. This is far beyond message-board help.

And, if you haven't done this already, you need to condition your dog to a wire-basket muzzle and keep it on him at all times.

Honestly, I'd be taking him to one of these folks: http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSApp...caab-directory

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Last edited by BowWowMeow; 02-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Well that can never hurt, but I don't take it as seriously as all that. He isn't aggressive as much as testing the waters, seeing what he can get away with.
By no means do I mean keep exposing him to situations where he can do this. No, keep him away from them in fact. He's proven he will nip (has he even made contact, or just "attempts to?) One thing that's happening too, is the tension from the owner is traveling down the leash and the dog is probably interpreting it as "my owner's afraid, something BAD is going to happen" and trying to take control of the situation.

But yeah...whip off the 'nads and train, train, train, get him back under control, a trainer will help.
PS. Remember he's just one year of age, barely out of puppyhood.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #34 (permalink)

Default 1 year old is second fear stage

Take the behaviour assessment . It is about 100 or so questions. C-BARQ: Canine Behavioral Assessment & Research Questionnaire

Also he is in his second fear stage at 1 year old for larger breeds ie GSD it can last up to 16 months.

I wouldn't flood him . Slowly progress, but try to figure out what is going on in his head, the CBARQ will help a trainer also.

The CBARQ with compare him to all breeds and his breed and doesn't does account for age.

There are more than 650 GSD in there database thus far that he will be compared too.
benbennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhn204 View Post
i think i am going to take him to a trainer before attempting to neuter him. it is going to be expensive but i guess that is better then having an another close call.

let me know what you decide and how it turns out for you

now i need to go and find an expensive trainer
It doesn't have to be expensive. Please make sure you do your homework on the trainer before just forking over money. Ask for testimonials etc. They may recommned neutering as part of the rehab plan, as well as evaluating nutrition and exercise.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbennett View Post

Also he is in his second fear stage at 1 year old for larger breeds ie GSD it can last up to 16 months.
You say that like it's a given. I've never had a dog (large or small) have a "fear stage" at 1yr.-16 mos.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
It doesn't have to be expensive. Please make sure you do your homework on the trainer before just forking over money. Ask for testimonials etc. They may recommned neutering as part of the rehab plan, as well as evaluating nutrition and exercise.
expensive doesn't mean good.
There's some wanna-be trainers in our area who know nothing and aren't even accredited, in fact one recommends squirting the dog w/a squirt bottle for fear of the husband in the home. We got a call after these folks had forked over a bunch of money to this "trainer", and the people wanted to give us the dog.
The dog was terrified of hubby and barking at the guy when he'd walk in the door, and this "trainer" suggested squirting it when it would bark.
Yes, they paid good money for that advice
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #38 (permalink)

gsdraven,

i assume you live in montgomery county, pa. do you know a trainer you could recommend? i am doing online research on the only place that only does gsd training is : www.BojovnikaK9.com
www.warriork9.com but it is about 1.5 hr drive to kutztown.
hhn204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
expensive doesn't mean good.
There's some wanna-be trainers in our area who know nothing and aren't even accredited, in fact one recommends squirting the dog w/a squirt bottle for fear of the husband in the home. We got a call after these folks had forked over a bunch of money to this "trainer", and the people wanted to give us the dog.
The dog was terrified of hubby and barking at the guy when he'd walk in the door, and this "trainer" suggested squirting it when it would bark.
Yes, they paid good money for that advice
Even schooled Vet Behaviorists suggest this. I've had experience with dogs who have gone to schools like Tufts to see a behaviorist. Their advice was to tell the owner to put a GL on the dog and if the dog barked, lift it off the ground and shake it. No matter the breed of dog, even ones who are notorious for having weak backs, like Daschunds and Corgis. So even if you spend $80,000 on school to be a licensed behaviorist, sometimes you can still be a moron..
Chance&Reno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhn204 View Post

now i need to go and find an expensive trainer
A trainer is much less expensive than a lawsuit!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.