German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8 month old snapped at my child

99K views 711 replies 54 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
I'm so angry with Grom right now. My kids usually behave crazy with him like the ordinary 8 and 9 year olds would (of course I teach my kids to respect the pup and mind the boundaries) and Grom was very good with them, he just walked away when kids were too much. They play tug with him. Would pet him and hang around him, while he was chewing his bully stick, and he was just fine with it.

He didn't have any bully sticks for some time and to be honest I didn't exercise him enough this week, so he was bored. I brought him a bully stick tonight and he was very eager to have it. He laid down on my command and I let him have it, and when I reached to pet him, he growled. It was an agressive growl with his lip curled, that was the first time he growled like that. He then growled at my kids and when my son came closer, he lunged with a growl at him. I managed to grab him, I don't know if it could be a bite, if I hadn't. Yelled at him and put him in his crate.

I practice NILIF with him, took him to puppy classes and did basic obidience, which we stopped doing lately and started with Schutzhund. He is our very first dog and right now I feel like I cannot trust him anymore.

Sorry, this is long, but I need your input on what to do now. I'll put Sch training on hold for now and will work on obidience with a trainer and involve my kids into that too. Right now I don't feel safe when he is around kids, I don't know what to expect from him and what else can provoke him to behave like that.

See less See more
#247 ·
well...Jinx is a pretty smart cookie. She is a Wildhaus dog. :wub: I think that Jinx will help Holmes overcome her fear aggression and resource guarding by teaching her to trade a bone for the TP. Then Jinx will teach her how to put the roll on correctly (pull from the bottom).

And that is my prediction for 2012. Please pay as you leave.

#268 ·
Had you taken the time to read previous posts you would see this has been answered :D lol

Honestly though, I never realized that it mattered until I got married. My husband never changes the darn roll and when he goes in after I do it he complains its not done right however after 9 years I still don't know which way he THINKS is right and honestly I could care less lol. Either way you can wipe your butt so get over it or do it yourself haha.

Shepherdmom just for the record when you came in to "defend" the poster there was nothing to defend. When ever someone posted something in general about training that differed from her view she posted rather defensively that she was some horrible person etc... She is the one that got defensive when there was nothing to be defensive about no one was even talking about HER we were talking about training in general some people just can't handle differing opinions without taking it personal.

#264 ·
Yes you're the only one. I'm somewhat OCD - and the design is also on the top of the roll when it rolls from the top, further proof bottom rollers are backwards! Are you lefties too?
Or just afraid of your TP!?

#265 ·
I already told you I was!! Afraid that is! I take my shotgun with me in case the TP bites me in the face!

It would make it easier if I knew which one was a shotgun...

I'm tellin' ya...the design on top...conspiracy! It's on the same roll of microfilm as the Kennedy assassination and Elvis being alive...conspiracy.

#270 ·
Mine's not as fancy but look how easy it is to change out the paper on these!

toilet paper stand : images5031
uh huh...and when you are in a hurry and pull it from the top...

IT FALLS OVER!!! And makes a very loud clang in your friend's bathroom so she asks if you are alright in there while you are accidentally destroying her bathroom trying to bring the TP stand back close enough to reach with your toes.

Bottom pull doesn't cause that awkward situation!!!

#273 ·
hmm never mind strike my last statement.. I don't know why I didn't comprehend what Jean said it was jibberish until after I replied..... hmm maybe I don't need a drink after all haha.

Anyone else notice in that link that every other picture the roll is facing a different direction.. guess they didn't want to stir the debate as to which way is better haha

#288 ·
Originally Posted by shepherdmom
but a real all out and out bite no. That is simply not allowed. If my dog ever did that, they would be taken outside and shot. There is no other method or working with that kind of behavior. .

Oh crap I didn't see that one... (why can't I get the dang italics to go OFF?)

This is so.. harsh...

I am so slow sometimes.

Really, you'd march it out back and kill it? I didn't see the rest of the context of the thread, so I don't want to jump to conclusions... but mercy me. That's a big statement to make. I mean, you'd surely take into account any conditions that were present, right???

#295 ·
Well, Dad's 70th tonight. My sister brought her girls over. My parents were at my other sister's earlier with her girls, they cannot be around germs yet because of the whole premie deal. Anyhow, the five-year-olds were over today.

My dad fed Cujo. He lays down to eat -- yeah pretty crazy, but whatever. My sister and I are in the kitchen and Elena walks over to Cujo and bent over to pet his head. Now remember, I have been following this thread. My sister an I in unison said, "Don't bother the dog when he is eating."

Elena looked at us and walked out of the room. Cujo was fine, did not grumble or guard or whatever. Cujo is the dog that everyone walks over instead of making him move. Later, Analisa is bending over him (he was laying down) and saying good bye to him. All I could think of was what would happen if Cujo reared his head up at that moment. They have such rock-hard skulls, that they do not have to snarl or bite or anything to inspire fear of injury.

Not sure what that story was all about.

Once upon a time, (I guess I top load the TP), but Dubya when he was just a tyke, grabbed a hold of the hanging end of the roll and ran, paper trailing him all the way to the living room.

#298 ·
Well, Dad's 70th tonight. My sister brought her girls over. My parents were at my other sister's earlier with her girls, they cannot be around germs yet because of the whole premie deal. Anyhow, the five-year-olds were over today.

My dad fed Cujo. He lays down to eat -- yeah pretty crazy, but whatever. My sister and I are in the kitchen and Elena walks over to Cujo and bent over to pet his head. Now remember, I have been following this thread. My sister an I in unison said, "Don't bother the dog when he is eating."

Elena looked at us and walked out of the room. Cujo was fine, did not grumble or guard or whatever. Cujo is the dog that everyone walks over instead of making him move. Later, Analisa is bending over him (he was laying down) and saying good bye to him. All I could think of was what would happen if Cujo reared his head up at that moment. They have such rock-hard skulls, that they do not have to snarl or bite or anything to inspire fear of injury.

Not sure what that story was all about.

Once upon a time, (I guess I top load the TP), but Dubya when he was just a tyke, grabbed a hold of the hanging end of the roll and ran, paper trailing him all the way to the living room.
Hahaha! :D What is going on when we think of these threads in our normal lives? (I do!)

Rock hard skulls is RIGHT. Oh my gosh, ouch! Like a dang brick!

My only issue here is the top loading. I am going to retire for the night soon and I'm seriously a little disheartened that only Jax and I are bottom loaders. :eek::D:eek:

#303 ·
Wow, what a long discussion this turned into and it's sooooo out of control:) I've been able to read through only a half of it.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm taking all in. I'm sure that either method is working fine as long as it's implemented correctly and consistently. The end result should be the same - respect from both parties - a dog and an owner. Maybe consistency and lack of discipline lately and a bratty butthead teenage working GSD that is checking the boundaries on top of that is what escalated that situation. I've contacted our Sch trainer who thinks it's pure dominance and hormones issue.

Another problem is that it seems that Grom is not as confident as GSD pup should be, there were situations when his reaction was not very adequate and I'm not sure whether it's just a phase or a temperament issue.

#306 ·
Another problem is that it seems that Grom is not as confident as GSD pup should be, there were situations when his reaction was not very adequate and I'm not sure whether it's just a phase or a temperament issue.
I realize I'm not wanted around here but I just want to help the OP so take it for what its worth or not.

In my opinion I think that the best thing you can do with a non-confident puppy is to give him consistency. Make sure you react the same way every time. He needs to feel secure and the best way IMO to be consistent. Good luck.

#304 ·
Its ok basically all the advice is in the first few pages anyways lol.. everything else is bickering and repeating what was said in the first few pages.

Depending on what your goals are in Schutzhund and who you train with continuing with SchH could be rather helpful... however if you have poor trainers it could make things worse he should be working more in obedience and tracking then bites right now IMO.

Now this is just MY opinion so take it as such however if he has a lack of confidence I doubt this is a true dominance thing. After talking with plenty of people WAY more experienced then I am I have come to the conclusion that way to many people blame things on dominance when its not the cause nearly as much as people would like to think. I would have a hard time fully trusting someone to train me and my dog (especially in something like schH that can screw up a dog when done wrong) to someone who is blaming something on dominance in dog that already lacks confidence. Either he doesn't have confidence issues or it wasn't dominance... personally I don't think it was truly dominance. The dog felt unsure and didn't want something taken away so he tried to back you off not dominance really.

Kind of like when you go to your son while hes engrossed in video games and give him a big hug and he goes "moooooooooooooom" as he tries to wiggle you off of him so he can continue playing in peace. Not a dominance thing or a challenge just more of a "I really don't feel like being bothered now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.