7 Month Old Male & 10 Month Old Female Fight - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default 7 Month Old Male & 10 Month Old Female Fight

My friend has a 7 month old male Doberman (Ace) and a almost 11 month old female Doberman (Addison), they get along wonderfully, they play, sleep, run, lick and lay with each other. They have never had a problem with each other. They have had Ace since he was 10 weeks old and they got Addison when she was 8 months old.

My friend and her boyfriend practice NILIF, they work on basic obediance with their dogs everyday, in separate rooms and they switch dogs after 10-15 minutes.

I spend alot of time with these dogs, we take our dogs to the beach a couple of times a week and I bring my GSD to their house almost every saturday. All 3 dogs get along wonderfully.

Yesterday my friend and I took the dogs to the beach like we always do and they ran, played and swam together. When we were making our way back down the trail to our cars, Addison started making these weird barks at Ace, then Ace's hair went up and they got really loud with each other, Sinister went over to them to join in and it became 2 on 1, Addison and Sinister VS Ace. As soon as we saw what was going on we stopped it. My friend leashed Addison and the boys continued running and playing as if nothing happened.

After about 10 minutes my friend let Addison off leash again. Addison and Ace started running around and playing while Sinister and I took off jogging (bugs were attacking) the next thing I know I hear a dog fight. I turned around to see Addison on top of Ace and she had him by the skin on the top of his head. My friend was trying to pull them off each other so I made Sinister sit and stay while I ran towards the dogs, my friend managed to get them apart right before I got to them and she immediately leashed them. She walked them side by side, they were fine and licked each other. Addison had no marks but Ace has a fingernail sized cut on his head.

Ace and Addison are not spayed/neutered. Addison will be spayed next month on her 1st birthday and Ace will be neutered in 5 months on his 1st birthday. Addison finished her 1st heat cycle almost 4 weeks ago. We did not have any treats or toys with us.

Why did this happen? How can we fix this?

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like a dominance issue to me. About 3 months ago I had the same issue with my oldest male (7 yrs) and female (5 yrs). They got into it, I broke the fight up, and then it started right back up. I seperated them again, threw one into the house and then kept the other with me outside for 30 minutes or so. When I brought them back together some licking and then they wouldn't have anything to do with each other for the rest of the day. Ever since then the female has assumed the alpha role amongst my three. I have never had any issues with them since that day.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Sounds like a dominance issue to me. About 3 months ago I had the same issue with my oldest male (7 yrs) and female (5 yrs). They got into it, I broke the fight up, and then it started right back up. I seperated them again, threw one into the house and then kept the other with me outside for 30 minutes or so. When I brought them back together some licking and then they wouldn't have anything to do with each other for the rest of the day. Ever since then the female has assumed the alpha role amongst my three. I have never had any issues with them since that day.
My friend was just telling me about 2 weeks ago that she believes her female is the dominant one in the house, from what I saw yesterday the female started the fight.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Just a guess, but the male may be getting to a size and age that threatens the female and she is making sure that she remains dominant. The male may have set her off and she just put him in his place. But then, I wasn't there.
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
My friend was just telling me about 2 weeks ago that she believes her female is the dominant one in the house, from what I saw yesterday the female started the fight.
LaRen - IMO, I think the "dominant" one changes regularly. We have 3 females. Banshee is the queen. Always has been and NOBODY is allowed to even look at her funny (our rules). The other two switch "dominant" roles. Given our experience with "dominance", I think that whole theory is bunk.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
LaRen - IMO, I think the "dominant" one changes regularly. We have 3 females. Banshee is the queen. Always has been and NOBODY is allowed to even look at her funny (our rules). The other two switch "dominant" roles. Given our experience with "dominance", I think that whole theory is bunk.
Oh alright, Jax what do you think caused the fight? What do you think we should do?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Female is taking a dominant role. My six month old pups here, I have to keep in check when together. Bella is a dominant bitch, has been since she was 3 months old. She starts it every time. I am very aware of my dogs behaviors and I nip it in the bud when she gets the idea of starting trouble.

Most people misunderstand animals and think the males are always dominant, when it is the females that are. Females rule the roost.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When we had littermates Bandit and Banshee, Banshee would snark at Bandit. In that case, she was the dominant one and he was just a goofball that didn't care. I don't know what started the fight.

If she was in heat 4 weeks ago, are there left over hormones? A breeder can answer that.

Maybe something set her off the first time and she was still in an agitated state for the second one?

If she's 11 months, is she starting to mature?

Just an FYI...Banshee was spayed as a puppy so if the vet tells you that will go away after the spay, they aren't 100% correct.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I agree given my experience as well. I would typically say that Raven is the dominant one of my two (and certainly with fosters) but when Raven and Kaiser have arguments, Kaiser is always the one that ends up in the "dominant" position. I think it totally depends on the situation on who is more "dominant". In normal day to day life, Raven can (but gets in trouble for) take anything she wants away from Kaiser and he lets it happen but Kaiser wouldn't dream of taking it back from her and will just sit there and bark at her until she walks away or I go get whatever it is for him.

Something caused the fight and apparently the humans missed it (we just aren't as observant as dogs). It could be that they both are coming into maturity and are feeling out their position or it could be something stupid. I wouldn't leave them alone together for a long time (and only if it never happens again), would step up leadership and just keep a close on them.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Any other opinions/ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.