Why would my recently neutered dog suddenly become dog aggressive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Why would my recently neutered dog suddenly become dog aggressive?

My dog has always got along well with other dogs. While out on a walk, if another dog would bark at him, he would just ignore them. He would greet other dogs nicely, but all that has changed since he got neutered a month ago. Now while out on a walk he barks at other dogs. He tried to charge at a bull dog the other day! This is so unlike him- I am baffled by this, as I was always told that after being neutered a dog would be less aggressive. This makes no sense to me, has anyone heard of this happening before?
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

No, but he has just been through a major surgery and may need time to recover a bit more. He may feel not up to snuff and is reacting. Just a thought. I would give him some more time recover mentally from the surgery, make sure the area around the stiches is completely healed and slowly reintroduce him to dogs that he is familiar with. Surgery is always traumatic and he may need some more down time with you. it probably would not hurt to have the vet check him over and make sure all is healing well. Also, how old is your dog, could be an age issue if he is still a young dog, ie. under a year old.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He was neutered a month ago? My first thought was a reaction to the anestetic but that would be to long ago. It does take a while for the hormones to leave their body. He may be reacting to an "imbalance" of hormones? He also might just be going through a stage. The important part is to deal with it and fix his reactions.

Step up the NILIF and start working on treating him when he's not reacting. There are several threads on dog aggression that you'll find helpful. Just do a search for them.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have heard of this happening. I don't have any sites to link to you, but when reading about the pros/cons of neutering I have certainly read more than once that some dogs can actually become more agressive.

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
PupperLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He is two years old. Hormonal imbalance could definitely be causing this. Also, true is that maybe he does need more time to heal from the traumatic experience that he had. He had a bad reaction to the neutering, and so two weeks ago, he had to undergo a scrotal ablation. His scrotum had swelled to the size of a grape fruit two weeks after the neutering. So he actually underwent 2 surgeries in a months time. Could he be experiencing affects from the anesthetic 2 weeks later?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You took away his love muffins and quickly zapped him of some very important hormones....he's adjusting but it can turn into a learned behavior so jump on making some changes now. Hormones help regulate many of our bodily functions especially our emotions...we actually need them but can adjust
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova View Post
This makes no sense to me, has anyone heard of this happening before?
Yes. I had a foster that was okay with other dogs before he was neutered. He tested fine with other dogs during eval and met Raven with no problem at all. Shortly after he was neutered, he was now dog aggressive. He would lunge and try to bite dogs that got within 2 feet of him. He is still dog aggressive and is in a home that understands this and can handle it. He was okay with dogs as long as they didn't get in his space.

I know this sounds weird but I used an animal communicator to ask him why he was suddenly aggressive and he said that he hadn't felt well since the surgery and didn't want any other dogs near him but he was ok with Raven still. I did as much as I could training wise and got him some Reiki before being adopted.

Find a good trainer that understands aggression and can help you with him without using harsh corrections.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund

Last edited by gsdraven; 05-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

happened to my bitch too...
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My dog also still gets along with my other dog, it is other dogs outside of the "pack" that he is aggressive towards. He is also doing another strange thing since he was neutered, he is ok with my 2 cats while he is inside the house, but when we are outside in the yard, and he see's one of our cats sitting inside the house on the window ledge, he barks viciously and runs over to the window, like if he wants to attack them! So much for, "neutering your dog will decrease aggression." How about that, and from your answers I see that he is not the first that this happened to. I researched the pros and cons of neutering before Brutus had the surgery and it said that it would be very rare for a dog to become more aggressive after being neutered, they also said that complications arising from the neutering are rare, and I even had him neutered through laser surgery, which was supposed to practically eliminate the slight chance of bad swelling. I guess we were just the unlucky ones in all this.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
You took away his love muffins
Okay, I think I'm going to puke . . .

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.