German Shepherds Forum banner

my buddies pitbull

27K views 245 replies 25 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
a buddy of mine has acquired a shelter dog but when I tried to introduce it to my German Shepherd (9 months old) it got really aggressive, snarling and growling. It didn't go well so my dog and I left. I guess it's done the same thing with another dog and he wisely used a muzzle during that occasion.
The dog is less than a year old, still a pup, he seems very people friendly but I think it was sheltered because it was a dog fighter or something.

I'd like to try another meeting between the two dogs as long as the pitbull is muzzled. I certainly don't want my dog attacked and I don't want to be in the middle of a dog fight but given that these dogs are both less than a year old how serious can this pitbulls problem be? As I said he's really affectionate with people but so far he's met a few dogs and reacted aggressively...my dog just looked at him as if he had some mental problems or something...

any advice?? This dog has learned to live well with his cats at first he chased and chomped on one, but now he doesn't mind them at all. Will this dog ever be able to be around other dogs?

#2 ·
Pit Bulls are Dog Aggressive, it's in their genes. This is something that can't be "trained" out of them, but it can be managed IF you are willing to give it a shot. I'd start by telling your friend to check out this site: Pit Bull Chat: A Pet Pit Bull Community
Some Pit Bulls can't be around other dogs, for your dogs safety and his dog's safety I wouldn't have them together. Period. I'd have him start NILIF with the Pit Immediately.
If for some reason you do what to try to put them together (which I would advise not too) I'd invest in a break stick and learn how to use it properly :)

#7 ·
Pit Bulls are Dog Aggressive, it's in their genes. This is something that can't be "trained" out of them, but it can be managed IF you are willing to give it a shot. I'd start by telling your friend to check out this site: Pit Bull Chat: A Pet Pit Bull Community
Some Pit Bulls can't be around other dogs, for your dogs safety and his dog's safety I wouldn't have them together. Period. I'd have him start NILIF with the Pit Immediately.
If for some reason you do what to try to put them together (which I would advise not too) I'd invest in a break stick and learn how to use it properly :)
LOL :) And I don't mean that in a condescending way but in a stereotypical, media driven way.

And since you are a GSD owner you should tread lightly in this area as GSDs were the "Pit Bulls" of the 80's......

"Pit Bull" is a social class not a breed, and encompasses upwards of 30 different actual breeds. So deeming the entire class DA is ludicrous.

Now to give my opinion on the OP's question......
Deeming this dog DA on two introductions is inappropriate. How long has the dog been in his new environment? Has he properly settled in yet? How did you do the introduction? What exactly was the dogs' reaction, from both sides? Without a full picture one cannot accurately state that the "Pit Bull" is DA. Could possible just be reactive which is completely different than DA but misdiagnosed often.

And IT IS possible to train DA dogs to become accepting of other dogs. It takes intensive behavior modification but it can be done, I have seen it done many times.

I would allow this dog to settle in his environment first. Get a good training foundation started and consult a trainer/behaviorist.

And let's leave the mislabeling of breeds to the media. They do a good enough job without everyone jumping on the bandwagon :)

#3 ·
Some pit bulls are DA - many are not and are very good around other dogs (there are a number of them in our obedience club and I trust a number of them around my GSD a lot more than a number of other breed dogs).

And i would guess that your dog can be trained to tolerate other dogs, but since he is already aggressive i suspect that it would take a pro to do it reliably.

BTW pits are no worse at DA than a lot of dogs - the problem is that they are so good at dog fighting! (the ones that are DA, that is)

#4 ·
Some pit bulls are DA - many are not and are very good around other dogs (there are a number of them in our obedience club and I trust a number of them around my GSD a lot more than a number of other breed dogs).

And i would guess that your dog can be trained to tolerate other dogs, but since he is already aggressive i suspect that it would take a pro to do it reliably.

BTW pits are no worse at DA than a lot of dogs - the problem is that they are so good at dog fighting! (the ones that are DA, that is)
you're right not all Pit Bulls are DA, BUT it is in their genes regardless, whether or not it shows up is another story (usually around two years of age) plus they are more prone to DA than other breeds.

the OP said his buddies Pit was DA not his GSD, but continued meeting that end up like the first one will make him (the GSD) aggressive if not fear aggressive.

#8 ·
dog aggression is not something that is "in the genes" of any breed.

#13 ·
You have know idea what you are talking about.

Would you agree that different breeds have different personality traits even though they may have been raised the same?

Ok so now we agree that personality and behaviors can be similar within a breed and therefore must be genetic.

Would you agree that certain lines of terrier are very bad with cats and certain lines of GSD's are not great with strangers?

So now we've established different types of aggression is heritable.

Ok so why is it a leap that American Pit Bull Terriers, a breed created and designed to fight other dogs might have a greater chance of inheriting genetic DA than a Golden Retriever?

Dog's bred to fight other dogs (even if its removed a few generations) are genetically predisposed to be DA. Doesn't mean it's automatic just means it's much more likely.

#9 · (Edited)
dog aggression is not something that is "in the genes" of any breed.
I have been told by breed-type knowledgeable folks, and read in more than just sensationalistic media reports, that the types that make up the "Pit Bull breed" were actually breed to be animal aggressive. Those traits were encouraged in breeding practices, while also selecting for submissive attributes with people. They are supposed to be very "user friendly" dogs. Some "lines" are more gamey than others. Some dogs can be socialized early on and love other animals. Some dogs will never tolerate other animals, regardless of how well they are socialized. And some dogs tolerate other animals well until the hit early adulthood and then they decide that they really would rather not be tolerant at all anymore.

Bad Rap, the uber-reputable rescue in California, has some wonderful information on their web site that really addresses a lot of the misconceptions. Check them out at: Untitled Document
Sheilah

#10 ·
gee thanks guys for making me feel like I don't know squat about pit bulls just because I own a GSD. I have friends that own pit bulls, I'm apart of a pit bull forum. I believe I said later that not all pit bulls are dog aggressive, but it is in their genes wether or not it shows up or not :) go check out that site I posted and ask questions.

#11 ·
The dog is less than a year old, still a pup, he seems very people friendly but I think it was sheltered because it was a dog fighter or something.

I'd like to try another meeting between the two dogs as long as the pitbull is muzzled. I certainly don't want my dog attacked and I don't want to be in the middle of a dog fight but given that these dogs are both less than a year old how serious can this pitbulls problem be?

any advice?? This dog has learned to live well with his cats at first he chased and chomped on one, but now he doesn't mind them at all. Will this dog ever be able to be around other dogs?
By no stretch of the imagination would I try and get my dog to get along with this dog. The first meeting went badly and you are questioning if the dog has been fought.

If the dog has been fought, the chance of him ever being dog safe is slim to nill. Even if he hasn't, putting your dog in the position of a potentially bad experience with another dog, could ruin your dog's attitude towards other dogs. For some dogs, it only takes one bad experience and they are ruined for life.

It's your job to protect your dog and this is one of those times to protect him.

#22 ·
You are nuts!
And your comments are exactly the reason why "Pit Bulls" are being executed each and every day by tens of thousands. And another reason why we have such a high perpetuation for dog fighting in our communities.

I invite you to audit the HSUS newly integrated "Pit Bull" Awareness with curriculum disproving your theory. DA is environmental period.

#16 · (Edited)
Pit bull is a breed. It's short for American Pit Bull Terrier, just as Am Staff is short for American Staffordshire terrier. People just 'misidentify' dogs such as the American bulldog and staffies and such as pit bulls, so it's pretty much been accepted that they're also pit bulls, but they're NOT.

And dog aggression is a genetic trait, as well as environmental. Yes, some breeds are more prone to dog aggression than others. In nurture vs. nature, neither can completely void the other one. Each plays a vital role in the personality of an animal, and in humans. I hope that makes sense.

#27 ·
If you believe that DA is a genetic trait in "pit bulls" then you must also agree that a lack of "people aggression" is equally genetic in them since the fighting dogs cannot have any people aggression as there are people in the pit with them as they fight and any dog showing ANY PA would be destroyed and never allowed to breed. Following along that line, why are there so many cases of "pit bulls" savagely attacking people? Doesn't seem likely given their genetics, does it?

Could every PB who attacks people either be highly trained to overcome their lack of PA or maybe just a genetic throwback (exception to their genes)?

BTW, do you think pit bulls are genetically more DA than GSD's? Akita's? Or how about more DA than almost any other Terrier?

#17 ·
Cody and my buddies Pitbull pup (4-5 months) get along just fine...He also got along well with a pitbull / black lab Mix

I wouldn't label the whole breed as dog aggressive, that's for sure

#18 ·
I wouldn't label the whole breed as dog aggressive, that's for sure
First off the dog is 4-5months old. I know of many a dog that turned "on" at 18 months (to people or dogs).

Second no one is accusing the whole breed of being aggressive. My point is to ignore that your dog is genetically predisposed to DA is like getting a GSD because you like Rin Tin Tin and then never socializing and ignoring that GSD's can be predisposed to being snotty with strangers.

#19 ·
RVA dog are you serious????,

1st off (haha) YOU said "they come out of the womb aggressive" how on gods green earth are you NOT accusing the breed of being aggressive? read your own dang post!

if you want to be scerrred of pits go fot it. I know some nice one's and one's that are older than 4-5 months as well. I've also known DA pits. SO...like I said you can't label the whole breed DA.

#21 ·
I personally wouldn't try to get your dogs together again if the dog acted this way. He may or may not be dog aggressive, but the possibility is obviously there and I wouldn't put my dog in that position, even if the other dog were muzzled. That's not fair to the other dog, and if he has to be muzzled to be around yours, what's the point?

American Pit Bull Terriers and the like included in the term "pit bull" have mostly originated from dogs that were bred to be aggressive towards other dogs. SOME Pits get these genes, some don't. Some have had the genes bred out of them which is great. Those that DO have the gene, were born aggressive. This doesn't mean that they're aggressive as puppies, but they always have the gene and nothing you can do (socialization/training) will stop them from becoming DA upon maturity. I know TONS of Pit Bulls, some of which grew up to be great with other dogs, some of which were NEVER good with other dogs (even from 8 weeks) and some that were great with other dogs until 1-2 years and then became Dog Aggressive. There's no way to tell in a puppy how it will turn out.

#30 · (Edited)
Pits were/are bred for dog fighting. The best fighters (they have to be DA to fight) are bred again. Process repeats. Those lines become more dog aggressive. That is the basic premise of selective breeding. DA can be a learned behavior, but it ABSOLUTELY is also a hereditary predisposition. A good friend has 2 pits. One comes and plays with my dogs. The other is highly DA. He raised both. How do you explain that? I have 2 dogs. One is DA sometimes. The other is absolutely not DA. I've had both since 9 weeks and raised them using the exact same formula with training tailored to their unique personalities. How do you explain that?

There are pitbull kennels focused on reversing the DA. They certainly believe it is genetic.

Why do APBT's handlers always get so touchy and unwilling to admit that APBT's are in fact, a product of a history breeding for dog fighting? Of course they are lovable to a loving handler... they were never breed to be people aggressive. Infact many fighters use other breeds to guard their prize dogs, who would otherwise willingly follow a thief out the door. Anecdotal accounts of a friends pit that is sweet and nice doesn't reverse decades of selective breeding.

#31 ·
Why do APBT's always get so touchy and unwilling to admit that APBT's are in fact, a product of a history breeding for dog fighting? Of course they are lovable to a loving handler... they were never breed to be people aggressive. Infact many fighters use other breeds to guard their prize dogs, who would otherwise willingly follow a thief out the door. Anecdotal accounts of a friends pit that is sweet and nice doesn't reverse decades of selective breeding.
Did you mean why do APBT OWNERS get so touchy?

Because IME most that are TRUE, GOOD pit bull owners go out of their way to let people know about the possibilities of the breed, what they were bred for, and what they're capable of to ensure that no pit bull ends up in the wrong hands. Maybe these are just the owners I know though, and myself. I certainly wouldn't recommend someone with other dogs or a newbie to dogs/training to adopt a pit bull breeder from anything other than a reputable breeder because of the potential for that dog. Heck, I won't adopt a pit bull puppy as much as I love and admire the breed because I can't handle the thought that he may grow up to be DA and have to manage that at this time in my life.

#33 ·
based on the logic that a pitbull puppy who's parents fought will come out of the womb DA... then wouldn't a GSD puppy who's parents are Sch trained...come out of the womb attack peoples arms? LOL

a puppy to agility parents comes out the womb over jumps and through tunnels?

a puppy from a SAR dog comes out of the womb searching for dead body's?

the dock diving puppy...comes out the womb and makes a mad dash to a lake?

I don't buy it...maybe I'm naive, but INDIVIDUAL dogs have INDIVIDUAL personalities. I'm not totally denying a genetic influence, but some of these posts seem pretty far fetched

#38 ·
All of these things you listed are trained to the specific dog. It is like comparing apples and oranges. People bred the pit bulls that would kill other dogs the fastest and the most brutally. They culled the nice ones, so they bred for genetically aggressive dogs that did so on their own accord. If you found a dog that naturally ran and agility course with enough ease to qualify and bred it to another like individual, enough times through the generations you would have puppies coming out of the womb with the natural tendency to do so. :)

#34 ·
We could go back and forth about this forever so sometimes its just better to disagree. And no hard feelings whatsoever, it's can be very touchy subject.

I just invite you to watch the upcoming Pit Bull awareness video called "Beyond the Myth". It sites many many studies for both sides allowing people to make an educated decision.

#37 ·
the whole statement that DA can't be untrained is completely wrong. my trainer has trained many, many, many DA dogs into nice friendly dogs. seen it 1st hand, heard testimonials from others in my OB class.

#40 ·
the whole statement that DA can't be untrained is completely wrong. my trainer has trained many, many, many DA dogs into nice friendly dogs. seen it 1st hand, heard testimonials from others in my OB class.
Once again, this depends on the reason for a dog's dog aggression. If it was raised to be DA/not socialized (environmental) then YES, it can be changed, which is what your trainer is doing. If those dogs were genetically bred to be aggressive towards dogs though, you would not be able to train it out of them, only manage it.

#42 · (Edited)
how is it apples to oranges? i'm just using different breeds, and different things they were trained to do...

people breed the best SCH dogs too. so again... is the SCH pup coming out looking for the closest arm to bite? if you ask me NO. that pup still needs to be trained to bite the sleeve...

the SAR pup still needs his handler to train him to search... he doesn't out of the womb or months later realize he should be off looking for a corpse...

even just look at simple things "all" dogs are trained to do like "sit". every dog on the planet know's "sit" so over and over and over again people have bred dogs that were trained to "sit". YET, when a puppy is born, us human's need to teach him that command...

#47 · (Edited)
how is it apples to oranges? i'm just using different breeds, and different things they were trained to do...

people breed the best SCH dogs too. so again... is the SCH pup coming out looking for the closest arm to bite? if you ask me NO. that pup still needs to be trained to bite the sleeve...
How many Schutzhund dogs have you worked or trained? You honestly don't think top level schutzhund dogs are actively looking for something to bite and hold in their mouth at 6 weeks?

Your posts in this thread tell me you know nothing about how dogs mature, genetics and inherited traits.

#58 ·
From www.realpitbull.com

Not A Breed For
Everyone
(And no breed is!)
Studying breed trends over the course of the 20th century, there is a clear
pattern that shows popularity for any breed is extremely detrimental.
Popularity manifests itself in a variety of problematic ways: over-breeding
without regard to health or temperament; dogs sold to whoever forks
over the money regardless of their suitability as owners; and lots of
people without a real understanding of their breed of choice creating
problem dogs that generate a negative effect that spills over to the public
(by way of attacks); and lots of dogs ending up in shelters.

Popularity for Pit Bulls has been and will continue to be disastrous. A
breed that should only be in the hands of but a few is now in the ends of,
well, everyone. Many people who make decent dog owners make really
bad Pit Bull owners. And there are lots of decent dog owners out there.

But just because not everyone should own a Pit Bull doesn’t mean no one
should. This is a strong point that can be validated many ways, but two
extremes that do not necessarily agree with this point are waging war
right now and a win on either side will mean a loss for the American Pit
Bull Terrier breed.

There are two ends of a broad spectrum: both are extreme, and both
could ultimately spell disaster for the breed. One end believes no one
should own Pit Bulls and the world would be a better place without them.
This camp is working to destroy the breed through fear tactics, half truths,
and lies. The other end of the spectrum believes Pit Bulls potentially
belong in any dog-loving home, and can and should be in the public eye
represented as the perfect breed of dog for lots and lots of people. This
latter line of thinking seems to permeate large segments of the pro Pit Bull
faction lately. This is a huge concern, as well-meaning people push the
breed into the spotlight, declaring them, "the same as any other dog",
and the perfect play pal for kids, teens, dogs, cats, horses, hamsters,
whatever.

One tell tale sign of this latter segment - let’s call them the Pollyanna Pit
Bull Brigade - is their pushing of the notion that Pit Bulls are the same as
all other breeds, no more and no less prone to aggression - any sort of
aggression - than any other breed. This is too general a sentiment to
even warrant being taken seriously, but it is doing damage nonetheless.
Suffice it to say, if all breeds were the same, we would not have breeds,
we’d just have dogs. Any dog could be trained to do any task to extreme
efficiency. Shetland Sheepdogs could be trained in attack police work to
perform like German Shepherds, and Siberian Huskies could be trained to
herd sheep like either of the aforementioned herding breeds.

Pit Bulls are gluttons for human attention, love bugs supreme, and the
real representatives of the breed don’t have an ounce of human-
aggression in their blood. It is insulting to any self-respecting bulldog fan
that anyone would suggest Pit Bulls are no more and no less prone to
human-aggression than any other breed. The breed should be rock solid
and never show signs of unwarranted human aggression. In fact, the
breed is so human-friendly that even sometimes when you wish they’d
show some aggression (i.e. someone breaking into your home), you
shouldn’t bet the bank that they’d do more than wag their butts and
scramble to give a kiss on the lips. They aren’t guard dogs! (If you want a
guard dog, get, hmmm, maybe a Rottweiler, or a Cane Corso - breeds
bred for the task!)

Conversely, because of their history, Pit Bulls may be more prone to
showing aggression directed at other dogs than say, a Beagle which is a
breed bred to run in packs with - not fight - other dogs.

What’s so difficult to wrap your head around, here? Still, many folk want to
insist "Pit Bulls are just like any other dogs". You wouldn’t insult the
German Shepherd folk, or the Siberian Husky folk, or the Rhodesian
Ridgeback folk by insisting that their breeds are "just like any other
breed". Besides, it’s just not true.

Pit Bulls like all breeds are prone to their own breed-specific traits,
idiosyncrasies of temperament, and likely to demonstrate certain
behavioral tendencies. There ARE genetics involved in the manifestation of
behavior, after all, an inextricable intertwining of nature vs nurture so that
two breeds of different genetic makeup raised in the same environment
will show different temperaments and behaviors. The same environment
acting upon two unique beings made up of different genes. Environment is
important. Unbelievably so. But without genetics, there would be no
behavior to mold to begin with.

Since breeds are unique, just like people, it is a simple leap of logic to the
mindset that says, "Not all breeds are suited to all people". When people
who are mentally, personality-wise, environmentally, financially,
educationally unsuited to a breed but obtain said breed with false notions
of what that breed is all about, the end result can be truly disastrous.

When lots of people, as in the case of the Pit Bull, own a breed but are
not necessarily properly suited for it, you have lots of problems, all over
the place. Welcome to the Current Era and the Pit Bull Problem as we
know it.

And here we are back to that Pollyanna Pit Bull Brigade that pushes
popularity of the breed and insists Pit Bulls are just like any other dog -
what breed IS 'just like any other dog???' The answer? None. This line of
thinking when propagated creates for situations in which inexperienced, ill-
prepared dog owners end up with Pit Bulls they cannot manage.

The answer to the problem is simple: stop pushing Pit Bulls on the general
public. Stop promoting them as "just like any other dog". Pit Bulls need to
become LESS popular, not more. The breed is already too popular. That’s
its problem. And until we find a way to drastically reduce numbers and
shout from the rooftops what the Pit Bull IS and IS NOT, we’ll continue to
see the downward spiral of one of the most magnificent creatures to ever
live: that goofy silly special talented loving breed we call the America PIT
BULL Terrier.

#63 ·
Not A Breed For
Everyone
(And no breed is!)
Studying breed trends over the course of the 20th century, there is a clear
pattern that shows popularity for any breed is extremely detrimental.
Popularity manifests itself in a variety of problematic ways: over-breeding
without regard to health or temperament; dogs sold to whoever forks
over the money regardless of their suitability as owners; and lots of
people without a real understanding of their breed of choice creating
problem dogs that generate a negative effect that spills over to the public
(by way of attacks); and lots of dogs ending up in shelters.

Popularity for Pit Bulls has been and will continue to be disastrous. A
breed that should only be in the hands of but a few is now in the ends of,
well, everyone. Many people who make decent dog owners make really
bad Pit Bull owners. And there are lots of decent dog owners out there.

But just because not everyone should own a Pit Bull doesn’t mean no one
should. This is a strong point that can be validated many ways, but two
extremes that do not necessarily agree with this point are waging war
right now and a win on either side will mean a loss for the American Pit
Bull Terrier breed.

There are two ends of a broad spectrum: both are extreme, and both
could ultimately spell disaster for the breed. One end believes no one
should own Pit Bulls and the world would be a better place without them.
This camp is working to destroy the breed through fear tactics, half truths,
and lies. The other end of the spectrum believes Pit Bulls potentially
belong in any dog-loving home, and can and should be in the public eye
represented as the perfect breed of dog for lots and lots of people. This
latter line of thinking seems to permeate large segments of the pro Pit Bull
faction lately. This is a huge concern, as well-meaning people push the
breed into the spotlight, declaring them, "the same as any other dog",
and the perfect play pal for kids, teens, dogs, cats, horses, hamsters,
whatever.

One tell tale sign of this latter segment - let’s call them the Pollyanna Pit
Bull Brigade - is their pushing of the notion that Pit Bulls are the same as
all other breeds, no more and no less prone to aggression - any sort of
aggression - than any other breed. This is too general a sentiment to
even warrant being taken seriously, but it is doing damage nonetheless.
Suffice it to say, if all breeds were the same, we would not have breeds,
we’d just have dogs. Any dog could be trained to do any task to extreme
efficiency. Shetland Sheepdogs could be trained in attack police work to
perform like German Shepherds, and Siberian Huskies could be trained to
herd sheep like either of the aforementioned herding breeds.

Pit Bulls are gluttons for human attention, love bugs supreme, and the
real representatives of the breed don’t have an ounce of human-
aggression in their blood. It is insulting to any self-respecting bulldog fan
that anyone would suggest Pit Bulls are no more and no less prone to
human-aggression than any other breed. The breed should be rock solid
and never show signs of unwarranted human aggression. In fact, the
breed is so human-friendly that even sometimes when you wish they’d
show some aggression (i.e. someone breaking into your home), you
shouldn’t bet the bank that they’d do more than wag their butts and
scramble to give a kiss on the lips. They aren’t guard dogs! (If you want a
guard dog, get, hmmm, maybe a Rottweiler, or a Cane Corso - breeds
bred for the task!)

Conversely, because of their history, Pit Bulls may be more prone to
showing aggression directed at other dogs than say, a Beagle which is a
breed bred to run in packs with - not fight - other dogs.

What’s so difficult to wrap your head around, here? Still, many folk want to
insist "Pit Bulls are just like any other dogs". You wouldn’t insult the
German Shepherd folk, or the Siberian Husky folk, or the Rhodesian
Ridgeback folk by insisting that their breeds are "just like any other
breed". Besides, it’s just not true.

Pit Bulls like all breeds are prone to their own breed-specific traits,
idiosyncrasies of temperament, and likely to demonstrate certain
behavioral tendencies. There ARE genetics involved in the manifestation of
behavior, after all, an inextricable intertwining of nature vs nurture so that
two breeds of different genetic makeup raised in the same environment
will show different temperaments and behaviors. The same environment
acting upon two unique beings made up of different genes. Environment is
important. Unbelievably so. But without genetics, there would be no
behavior to mold to begin with.

Since breeds are unique, just like people, it is a simple leap of logic to the
mindset that says, "Not all breeds are suited to all people". When people
who are mentally, personality-wise, environmentally, financially,
educationally unsuited to a breed but obtain said breed with false notions
of what that breed is all about, the end result can be truly disastrous.

When lots of people, as in the case of the Pit Bull, own a breed but are
not necessarily properly suited for it, you have lots of problems, all over
the place. Welcome to the Current Era and the Pit Bull Problem as we
know it.

And here we are back to that Pollyanna Pit Bull Brigade that pushes
popularity of the breed and insists Pit Bulls are just like any other dog -
what breed IS 'just like any other dog???' The answer? None. This line of
thinking when propagated creates for situations in which inexperienced, ill-
prepared dog owners end up with Pit Bulls they cannot manage.

The answer to the problem is simple: stop pushing Pit Bulls on the general
public. Stop promoting them as "just like any other dog". Pit Bulls need to
become LESS popular, not more. The breed is already too popular. That’s
its problem. And until we find a way to drastically reduce numbers and
shout from the rooftops what the Pit Bull IS and IS NOT, we’ll continue to
see the downward spiral of one of the most magnificent creatures to ever
live: that goofy silly special talented loving breed we call the America PIT
BULL Terrier.
I agree with many aspects of this post. "Pit Bulls" NEED to become less popular. And people pushing a "rosy laxy-daisy" idea of the breed are making a mistake as well.
But the same can be said for GSDs.

#101 ·
on a seperate but similiar note... Daschunds I've read are most likely to bite people. clearly they don't do the most damage, but most likely to bite.

now a daschund is a "weiner dog" not trained / bred to do anything as far as I know. so...what's their deal? generations of getting stepped on has caused this? lol what gene did they inherit? no one taught / bred them to bite people...

#105 ·
They were bred to hunt prey in burrows in the ground. Usually small dogs are poorly behaved b/c people think its not a big deal for a small dog to jump on you, or bite you

#122 ·
I don't understand how people can accept that retrievers are great at swimming and retrieving b/c genetic predisposition, GSDs make good herding and police dogs b/c of genetic predisposition, small terriers bred for vermin control are good at vermin control b/c of genetic predisposition, ALL things selectively bred in, but reject that pit bulls are good at dog fighting b/c of a genetic predisposition bred into them.

#125 · (Edited)
I'm not saying that myself. (not sure who if anyone that's aimed at). I am aware that if Cody gets into a fight with a pit it's gonna be an ugly fight as they are often good fighters.

I am aware also though...lots of pits are not DA. pits that are from fighting CAN be trained not to be DA, a pit with fighting parents COULD suck at fighting, and last but certainly not least. NO pit comes out of the womb looking to fight...it's a baby for gods sake!

I'd also say not all retrievers make good retreivers, and not all GSD's can be police dogs.

once again...lets look at the individual dogs personality

#137 ·
I would suggest to everyone to go check out this site: Pit Bull Chat: A Pet Pit Bull Community

tons of facts from people who have owned pit bulls for years and have done a ton of research. get the true facts :)
Who says either side isn't stating "true facts"?

And that they have not owned or have much knowledge when it comes to this "social class". This is a GSD forum but many of us have other breeds as well :)

#135 ·
killing a 6 week old puppy...really. what is wrong with you? you should be turned in. it's 6-8 weeks old!!!!!!!!!

find it a home where it can be the only dog if its DA. don't just wipe out baby puppies!!!! for the love of god. please do NOT breed again. you're out of your mind

sounds like that was irresponsible breeding on your part. why breed them and foster them all out anyway?

im seriously digusted by your post

#138 ·
While its certainly very unpalatable to cull dogs, there are simply not enough homes for the number of dogs, much less homes capable of handling a large aggressive breed (be that a pit, GSD, mal, rott, etc etc)

And he could come and prove me wrong, but I *highly* doubt he bred the dogs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.