My dog killed our pet rabbit!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation My dog killed our pet rabbit!!!!

For the winter we bring our pet rabbit inside our house with us. We put him(the rabbit) in the girls' room.
So I am relaxing, watching It's me or the dog... and all the sudden the girls yell for me. I go in thier room to find Preston(my 6mon th old german shepherd) with the rabbit laying in between his front paws..Dead.

I am soo distressed! I dont know exactly how to go at this..? He chases our ducks and I am afraid he will kill them too. What should I do?
ripsofie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am so sorry your girls had to witness this, but I have to ask why the dog had access to the rabbit in the first place without supervision????

If he chases your ducks, well they are herding dogs. He's only six months old, he obviously doesn't understand he isn't supposed to KILL them..

What you should do? keep the dog away from your ducks. Again, I am so sorry about the rabbit(

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh no! He couldn't be expected to know he wasn't supposed to kill it, same with the ducks, unless he's taught that they're off limits.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to the forum! First, I'll say I am sorry to hear about your rabbit. I wanted to say that your situation reminded me of my first couple posts on this forum. I couldn't figure out how to control my 4 month old pup from tearing stuff up while I was at work.

The forum quickly slapped my wrists for even thinking a 4 month old was even close to old enough to have full reign on the house while I wasn't there. A 6 month old is very much still a pup. You'd be wise to ensure he's always in the same room with you until a bit older. Unsupervised pups generally make poor choices- such as killing pet rabbits. It really is an unfortunately learning experience.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh my word that is one of my fears, as my little girl a 1 yr old super friendly pet rabbit.

Angel is kept in her cage with key locks, so that she can't be let out with my unlocking the cage. Even with her being in the cage Brewski is never left in a room alone with her, that to me would be just teasing him and asking for possible trouble. When Angel is let out Brewski is in his crate locked so that we can hopefully avoid the experience you are now having to deal with....

I am so sorry for the loss of the pet rabbit and it is terrible that your girls had to be part of something so tragic. Why was your pup in where the rabbit was loose? (not trying to be critical) may also ask what if anything did you say or do to your puppy upon realizing what had taken place?
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In the puppies mind he was trying to play- not kill I'm sorry it happened but if they have access to a small animal you have to supervise all encounters or this happens
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am so sorry for you, your girls and your rabbit. But everyone is right, your puppy should not have had access to your rabbit. I had a pet rabbit that I had to have put down at Thanksgiving and Dharma never, ever had unsupervised access to him. When I cleaned his cage and he would hop out of his cage into the living room, I made sure Dharma was outside. I don't think Dharma would have intentionally hurt him but accidently- oh yes, she could have easily killed him trying to play.

I also have a small, 3 legged cat. I give her her own space in the spare room because my foster dog Tessa has shown too much interest in her. Tessa was supposed to be good with cats. I don't know if she just wants to play or if she is trying to hurt her but I never leave them alone just in case.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
Why was your pup in where the rabbit was loose? (not trying to be critical) may also ask what if anything did you say or do to your puppy upon realizing what had taken place?

The rabbit was not loose, and the door is always closed.. well its supposed to be.
I really did not know what to do.. I said NO! and put him outside. I didn't yell at him really at all. I just put him outside for a minute to potty then into the crate.
ripsofie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My rabbits are never loose when the dog is around. The dog can be in the area, when the rabbits are in their cages (bunny condos). Otherwise, the dog and rabbits are on separate floors of the house, with a shut door in between. My dog has never tried to hurt the rabbits, but I think them hopping around her would be too much temptation.

Things happen very quickly. A friend told me that during her childhood years, her Mom was cleaning the rabbit. The GSD pushed through the door and before the Mom could act, had decapitated the rabbit.

These are terrible accidents and we try hard to prevent them. In any case, one cannot blame the dog for being a dog. I am very sorry this happened to your family.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
In the puppies mind he was trying to play- not kill I'm sorry it happened but if they have access to a small animal you have to supervise all encounters or this happens
You don't think a 6 month old dog has predatorial instincts? I bet this dog sure as heck meant to kill that rabbit and wants badly to kill the ducks. It's not malice obviously but it is intent nonetheless.

I would say that it may be time to teach the dog that chasing the ducks is an inappropriate behavior. It's up to you (and perhaps a trainer) how you do this.

http://www.gooddogtrainingco.com
rvadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.