German Shepherds Forum banner

I Need Opinions!

28K views 245 replies 55 participants last post by  Jessiewessie99 
#1 ·
Please dont bash me. I dont know what to do and I need some help here.

As most of you know I adopted a GSD/Husky mix about 11 weeks ago. His name is Rogue and he is 1.5 years old and unaltered. He didn't know how to sit when I got him, he was used to being allowed on furniture, he door dashed, he had no impulse control, he hated his crate and he hated car rides. We improved on all of those problems.

He gets along wonderfully with my GSD, they are the best of friends and glued to the hip. He gets along with all 3 of my cats. He can be very sweet.

Here are my problems......

He is aggressive towards other dogs, bares his teeth, he growls and he lunges on his leash. He is toy and food aggressive towards my GSD. They cannot have toys together unless they are supervised (I have to stand between them) because Rogue will go after his face and take the toy away and he will growl if my GSD goes near him when he has a toy. They have to be fed apart ( I have had to physically stop him from going over to my GSD's bowl, he was literally pushing me back to get to the bowl).

He poops in my house ALL OF THE TIME! He gives no warning! When I take them outside he pees, we stay out there for 15-20 minutes and sometimes he will poop and other times he will go to the back door and sit because he wants to go back inside and then 5 minutes later he is pooping on my floor! :mad:

He has an issue with water. The bowl will be completely full and he'll be drinking and my GSD will come over to the bowl to drink some and Rogue will go after his face and then he will stand there and drink the whole entire bowl so that my GSD doesn't get any.

Now the worst part of his behavior, he growls at everyone and bares his teeth at them. I have no doubt in my mind that he would bite. He is very cautious and aware, he is always looking around and always watching people and everything they do. He is unpredictable and I do not feel comfortable taking him places. I did not take him with when I went trick-or-treating with my nephews and niece, I do not trust Rogue especially around children.

Although I dont give him the chance because I take steps to make sure it doesn't happen I am still worried that he will bite someone and I do not want to be sued. Even though he is best friends with my GSD I am still afraid that he might turn on him.

I am having a hard time bonding with him. Is there something wrong with me? I dont know why I cant bond with him, I have done one on one time with him, I have done training with him, I like him. But I do not love him like I know I can. I love all of my animals more than anything else in this world but I cant love him. I dont know if it's because I didn't raise him, I didn't have him as a baby like I have had all of the others, I dont know if it's because he has the "what's in it for me" type attitude where my GSD has the "What can I do for you" attitude. I dont know if it's because I dont like the way he treats my GSD sometimes and I become the protective mother of my GSD. I dont know if it's because I am scared of him sometimes and I am afraid he will hurt others.

What do I do?

See less See more
#195 ·
Rogue might be just fine in someone else's care or he might not. However, before any attempts to rehome are made he must be neutered and he should also be evaluated (away from his current owner) by a certified animal behaviorist.

That assessment should be given to any potential new owner. Ideally you could at least work with a rescue to help you find an experienced home who will truly give this dog a chance to succeed.

#196 ·
paddyd: i would just like to say to you...the word euthanize simply means "good death", which has nothing to do with the reason. calling elective euth for reasons of aggression/safety issues "execution" is inaccurate, and offensive to every person who has ever had to make that difficult and heart wrenching decision to protect people from a dog, not to mention protecting the dog from the horrors that can happen when they're passed from pillar to post, and wind up...well, we know where dogs like this can wind up...there are things that are so much worse for a dog than a "good death".

#200 ·
Laren, I do agree with the neutering him, I had forgotten he was not neutered. I don't agree with keeping him if you really do not want him. It's not fair to him or you.

Have you called your cousin the trainer yet? I would do that asap.

#204 ·
Laren, I do agree with the neutering him, I had forgotten he was not neutered. I don't agree with keeping him if you really do not want him. It's not fair to him or you.

Have you called your cousin the trainer yet? I would do that asap.
I emailed my cousin last night, he has not replyed yet.

You know alot of people here have alot to say, but I wonder how many of you would truly stick with a dog that you are not bonded to for the rest of his life? We are talking 15-16 years with a dog that you do not love. Why would I do that to him? I do not think it is fair to him at all. He deserves to be loved, he deserves to be someones best friend. I absolutely refuse to keep a dog in my house when everyone is unhappy. Rogue and I dont click. It's not working. He needs a better home and I dont think there is anything wrong with that. I've had him for almost 4 months, I improved on some of his problems, I did try with him.

#205 ·
Personally speaking, my issue is not so much with rehoming him. I think it's for the best of all involved from the sound of it. It really sounds like you hate this dog, and given his issues them I really can't fault you for it.

However, with that said -

You took in a dog off CL with no back history and clearly didn't do a proper behavioral evaluation or these issues would have come out. The other possibility is that it's not him that came with the problems, but that you caused/created them. That may be a tough thing for you to accept because it's easier to assume someone else created the problems and they aren't your fault, but they very well may be.

A responsible and loving owner would neuter this dog, period, prior to placement. it is RIDICULOUS that you keep arguing that you want to wait until he's two. There is NO reason to wait. There are more people on this forum that propose waiting than anyone I've ever talked to collectively in all my years in rescue with numerous rescues and close associations with many veterinary practices. This is not a 2 month old puppy, it's a year and a half old dog. Do you have any idea how many puppies and young adults are sputered all over the country on a daily basis? And how FEW of them ever have a problem? You are not neutering this dog because you don't want to spend the money, which is just sad.

He should have a clear fecal and a urinalysis IMHO because you have no idea that these problems aren't medical instead of behavioral. We have to learn from our mistakes. These were good suggestions by someone else and worth pursuing.

I understand if you don't want to dump thousands into him for training, but he should at the very least be cleared medically and neutered prior to placement.

#206 ·
Personally speaking, my issue is not so much with rehoming him. I think it's for the best of all involved from the sound of it. It really sounds like you hate this dog, and given his issues them I really can't fault you for it.

However, with that said -

You took in a dog off CL with no back history and clearly didn't do a proper behavioral evaluation or these issues would have come out. The other possibility is that it's not him that came with the problems, but that you caused/created them. That may be a tough thing for you to accept because it's easier to assume someone else created the problems and they aren't your fault, but they very well may be.

His food/toy/dog aggression showed up within the first week. He started pooping in my house the first week, he didn't even know how to sit when I got him. He door dashed, he had no impulse control, he jumped on people/furniture. He was absolutely terrified of car rides. I fixed all of that.

A responsible and loving owner would neuter this dog, period, prior to placement. it is RIDICULOUS that you keep arguing that you want to wait until he's two. There is NO reason to wait. There are more people on this forum that propose waiting than anyone I've ever talked to collectively in all my years in rescue with numerous rescues and close associations with many veterinary practices. This is not a 2 month old puppy, it's a year and a half old dog. Do you have any idea how many puppies and young adults are sputered all over the country on a daily basis? And how FEW of them ever have a problem? You are not neutering this dog because you don't want to spend the money, which is just sad.

I am not arguing that I will not get him neutered, I was answering the question "Why didn't you neuter him" it was because I was going to wait until he was 2 years old. I already took him to the Vet and he was cleared, the Vet said he was in great condition but that was a while ago, if he has something now then I dont mind taking him into the Vet at all and now that I am getting rent I can take him in and get him neutered. I never said I wouldn't.

He should have a clear fecal and a urinalysis IMHO because you have no idea that these problems aren't medical instead of behavioral. We have to learn from our mistakes. These were good suggestions by someone else and worth pursuing.

I understand if you don't want to dump thousands into him for training, but he should at the very least be cleared medically and neutered prior to placement.
I understand

#209 ·
Do you plan on getting Rogue neutered?

Why ask for advice/opinions - you named this thread "I Need Opinions" - if you are really just looking for people to tell you what you are doing is good or somehow best for the dog? Until very recently everything seemed to be going pretty well with Rogue.

As far as sticking with a dog for life--it has never even occurred to me that rehoming was an option after bringing a dog into my home. Seriously! And I haven't always had perfect dogs-believe me!

#210 ·
Do you plan on getting Rogue neutered?

Why ask for advice/opinions - you named this thread "I Need Opinions" - if you are really just looking for people to tell you what you are doing is good or somehow best for the dog? Until very recently everything seemed to be going pretty well with Rogue.

As far as sticking with a dog for life--it has never even occurred to me that rehoming was an option after bringing a dog into my home. Seriously! And I haven't always had perfect dogs-believe me!
Yes, I will schedule for Rogue to get neutered.

Things haven't been going good for a while, I didn't want to bring it up on here because I didn't want to get attacked but that's exactly what happened to me. I didn't know what to do so I finally made a thread. I haven't been feeling well, my eye sight is going and after going to the DR. I know why now, I am stressed now and everything is too much. I cant give Rogue everything that he needs, I cant give him the love that he needs, he needs a better life than the one he has with me and I am not ashamed to say it

P.S. Still have not heard from my cousin.

#211 ·
Hi,

I have read much of your story with Rogue and I cannot improve upon the advice other people have given you. The experienced rescuers have raised some concerns whether a rescue group would take him. What I wonder is if you can fully housebreak Rogue, neuter him, and continue to provide a safe home for him, whether a rescue group would do a courtesy post on their website. One group near you is Free Spirit Siberian Rescue. They rescue other breeds as well as huskys. It might be worth it to talk to someone there about Rogue's behaviors, what you have been able to achieve, and what might make him adoptable.

It is a sad situation, but people here really want to help your dog.

good luck,
MJ

#212 ·
I don't live near Laren or ever see her in person, but we do PM a lot about our doggies. I can vouch for her effort especially since this thread started. I know she started to crate train him, walk him seperately and in general work with him on his obediance.

I know her heart and intentions are good. I understand people's frustrations with re-homing, and not nuetering. Laren, I would agree the nuetering will help to some degree. We do need to consider too that Rogue is not the only animal in the house, and she needs to look out for the well being of all her pets (ex...toy / food aggression with the other pets). I think Rogue would do best in a single pet home with limited visitors...

#214 ·
I don't live near Laren or ever see her in person, but we do PM a lot about our doggies. I can vouch for her effort especially since this thread started. I know she started to crate train him, walk him seperately and in general work with him on his obediance.

I know her heart and intentions are good. I understand people's frustrations with re-homing, and not nuetering. Laren, I would agree the nuetering will help to some degree. We do need to consider too that Rogue is not the only animal in the house, and she needs to look out for the well being of all her pets (ex...toy / food aggression with the other pets). I think Rogue would do best in a single pet home with limited visitors...
That would be the perfect house for him.

#213 · (Edited)
LaRen,
I am not going to bash you..this is a heartbreaking enough situation as it is but you may have to euthanize him. I know I posted to you before but I did not know Rogue was not neutered. I do not know if he is as aggressive as Victor but this may be in his blood. You do not want to pass this trait along. With Victor I know it is in his blood and I came to realize that Victor can not be rehomed. He is too dangerous. The reason everyone is on you to neuter is because if you rehome him and that new person allows him to breed this aggression is going to be passed down. I can tell you this first hand--Victor's mother was extremely aggressive towards people and it was obviously passed down through her offspring. The aggression in his bloodline will be passed down and you have to break the cycle. We neutered Victor because we can't take the chance of him passing his aggression on. Another reason they are telling you to neuter him it may help with his behavior. In most cases it does help but in Victor's case he has become more aggressive but that is an oddity. I absolutely love Victor but I may have to euthanize him down the road and it is going to break my heart but I can not allow him to be rehomed to someone else and take the chance he is going to hurt someone seriously. Please just take that to mind and understand that is why everyone is trying to get you to neuter him.

#215 ·
Lauren still has Rouge and we have talked yesterday in much detail. She also has a cousin that lives with her that owns the Rott so for someone here to make assumptions without knowing all the facts doesn't really surprise me with some of the members here that live for the drama. Lauren is sick over having to find another home for Rouge as she has been working hard with advice from many to make him a home there with her and Sinister. I suggested that she contact a rescue that works with husky's as they know the breed better than I. What I see is that he was a problem dog that's owner pushed off on Lauren without being totally honest as to his issues. Which I'm sure there are members that I remember reading their posts just like this saying that the said dogs owner didn't say this or that.

Now you have a fellow member here coming and asking for some advice and what I see is that there are members that just want to bash her for trying to do the right thing. Although there are some really good comments there are those that dirty the good ones.

Lauren isn't getting rid of Rouge to only purchase a pup from me as I wouldn't have anything to do with a situation as this and also she wouldn't either.

#216 · (Edited)
Well, I think that it shows that she cares for Rogue because she did post asking for help. Let me tell you it is not easy to post threads on here because of all the negative comments made. We have been dealing with Victor's aggression since we got him and I was very hesistant to post for help because of bashing. I got such good help though with mine but I have seen on other posts/threads so many just being plain mean. Sometimes you just need to know there is help and support out there. I feel LaRen's pain you can tell she is so frustrated and I completely understand that. NarysDad is right all the mean,hateful posts dirty all the good helpful posts. Sometimes we need to step back and think about the situation and be respectful of other's feelings. Rude,hateful comments are not going to help it makes members afraid to get help. LaRen, you are not alone in this and be strong!!

#217 ·
I asked her privately last week if she still had Rogue and she told me privately that not only did she still have him, but that she had no intention of getting rid of him. I had received an e-mail from another board member regarding Rogue and the Rottie and I asked Laren candidly if it was true. And she candidly said it was false and I believed her. It seems funny to me, now, that the rumor that was denied last week is actually panning out this week.

All of my frustration comes from two sources. The first is the fact that as someone deeply involved in rescue I hear this exact same story over and over again. Person wants a new pet, gets impatient and jumps too quickly into bringing an animal home. Buyer's remorse sets in and the new owner starts to back pedal. I saw this scenario so many times in the animal shelter, where someone walks in and wants to walk out with a dog that minute. Despite great advice from adoption counselors, they would become attracted to the wrong dog for the wrong reasons. And it was always the dog that ended up losing. Because it would either bounce back into the shelter a week or two later (got to return within two weeks to get money refunded and God forbid the person lose any money), or bounce from friend to relative and then back to the original adopter-who would then just return the dog to the shelter.

There is nothing unusual about Laren's situation. Unfortunately. There is nothing unusual about someone taking good advice and then still giving up because, although there was improvement, it wasn't quick enough. That is the other source of my frustration. There has been improvement, but it doesn't make any difference. She still allowed another dog to come into her home, despite having a dog with issues that needed her whole attention. Regardless of who owns the Rottie, Laren owns the home and should have told her cousin to wait on bringing a 3rd dog into the home until Rogue was where she needed him to be. Sounds like wanting what you want, when you want it runs in the family.

I hope Rogue gets the benefit of the doubt from any rescue that might look at him.
Sheilah

#218 ·
We had a dog from the Shelter that we took in. A White Shepherd named Ellie. Ellie was a super sweet dog, that probably loved too much. She had pretty serious separation anxiety. At first we were able to to adjust to Ellie. We changed our environment to best manage her as much as we could in an apartment. We had no windows with any kind of covering. All the doors in the house had to be open to her, and our front door was a metal door that she couldn't destroy. We had neighbors that were understanding, and we did ALOT of training. We did her CGC and got her involved in some therapy work with school children. We also didn't go out at all apart from school during the day. We would get take out and Ellie would come with us to pick it up. She was technically DH's dog and we managed like this for about a year.

The we got Argos. He was my dog. My very first dog. Ellie and Argos got along great. However she bonded strongly to him as well. We went to training and she would freak out. Her issues became worse and worse. We also had to move to another aprtment. She started destroying the new rental. We got a behaviorist. We spent hundreds of dollars on medications and heavy duty crates. We got to the point that despite our love of the dog- we just couldn't manage anymore.

However, we understood that the reality of the situation with this dog was that unless I could find a homebound person who was understanding of the situation- She would need to be euthanized. If WE couldn;t handle this dog...No one else would want to either. We were fortunately able to find that home, but I would say we were only days away from euthanizing her when that home surfaced. It was still an extremely hard day. Admittedly I felt like a failure. Ellie had a condition I couldn't fix. And that was hard.

The reason I say this is because what I think people need to understand is that while it is NOT wrong to rehome a dog- it is wrong to pass on the problem. And understand that the DOG HAS PROBLEMS. In cases involving behavior problems, aggression, medical issues...often it is kinder to euthanize the dog than to just keep passing the problem. So understand that while it is OK that you didn't bond with the dog, it is OK that you do not want to keep the dog, you also have to ACCEPT RESPONSIBILTY, because that's what you did the moment you took the dog. That means doing whatever is necessary to give that dog a better start in his next home. Because that's what you committed to when you took in the dog- whether you realized it or not. And if you cannot do that be honest with yourself about the reality this dog faces if it goes to a home that is as unprepared as you were. And the life this dog will have if his training issues are really that major. Sometimes you have to have the guts to make the hard decisions.

#220 ·
We had a dog from the Shelter that we took in. A White Shepherd named Ellie. Ellie was a super sweet dog, that probably loved too much. She had pretty serious separation anxiety. At first we were able to to adjust to Ellie. We changed our environment to best manage her as much as we could in an apartment. We had no windows with any kind of covering. All the doors in the house had to be open to her, and our front door was a metal door that she couldn't destroy. We had neighbors that were understanding, and we did ALOT of training. We did her CGC and got her involved in some therapy work with school children. We also didn't go out at all apart from school during the day. We would get take out and Ellie would come with us to pick it up. She was technically DH's dog and we managed like this for about a year.

The we got Argos. He was my dog. My very first dog. Ellie and Argos got along great. However she bonded strongly to him as well. We went to training and she would freak out. Her issues became worse and worse. We also had to move to another aprtment. She started destroying the new rental. We got a behaviorist. We spent hundreds of dollars on medications and heavy duty crates. We got to the point that despite our love of the dog- we just couldn't manage anymore.

However, we understood that the reality of the situation with this dog was that unless I could find a homebound person who was understanding of the situation- She would need to be euthanized. If WE couldn;t handle this dog...No one else would want to either. We were fortunately able to find that home, but I would say we were only days away from euthanizing her when that home surfaced. It was still an extremely hard day. Admittedly I felt like a failure. Ellie had a condition I couldn't fix. And that was hard.

The reason I say this is because what I think people need to understand is that while it is NOT wrong to rehome a dog- it is wrong to pass on the problem. And understand that the DOG HAS PROBLEMS. In cases involving behavior problems, aggression, medical issues...often it is kinder to euthanize the dog than to just keep passing the problem. So understand that while it is OK that you didn't bond with the dog, it is OK that you do not want to keep the dog, you also have to ACCEPT RESPONSIBILTY, because that's what you did the moment you took the dog. That means doing whatever is necessary to give that dog a better start in his next home. Because that's what you committed to when you took in the dog- whether you realized it or not. And if you cannot do that be honest with yourself about the reality this dog faces if it goes to a home that is as unprepared as you were. And the life this dog will have if his training issues are really that major. Sometimes you have to have the guts to make the hard decisions.

Tough words but all too true!

#219 ·
The problem with internet descriptions of a dog's behavior is that the dog has no say in what is being explained. If we see a dog in person and they are doing XYZ, that's one thing to say hey, wow, this dog may not be workable. But to rely on what someone says, is simply not good enough, ever. I would not even expect someone to believe me.

I have also seen remarkable turnarounds when a dog is with a different person. From fearful to aggressive and everything in between, it can make a huge difference.

Of course for everything not done, that makes it harder to get a dog into a rescue.

This would include:
Neuter
UTD on everything
Urinalysis
Fecal
HW test
Behavioral evaluation

All of those things can help make a difference to a rescue who may feel badly about this particular dog - they can focus on behavior if all health things are checked off. IF there is a rescue who can take him - not based on the owner's evaluation (which is rarely even close to accurate - good or bad from what I understand) but based on the fact that Husky rescues are full to busting with Purebred Huskies.

I would really be working hard - in addition to doing all of the above - in going to obedience clubs, contacting breed clubs, breed and large dog rescues (and making sure that the rescues are more than just brokers with the rescue name).

I contacted a friend who said she will help you via email (sick right now). She is in Malamute rescue. Those are some serious dog people. Please PM me if you would like her info.

She gave me these links
www.siberianrescue.org There are some no-kills here, www.nokillnetwork.org which sometimes a no kill shelter is not good - but you would of course visit and ask questions. She said TLC in Homer Glen is really decent.

#226 · (Edited)
I stopped posting in this thread because I was tired of all the bashing.

I have been talking to several people through PM about Rogue and updating them while I was searching for a new home for him.

I was talking on the phone with a man named Joe about Rogue. My best friend's boyfriend, Scott, is a meter reader for ComEd and he came into contact with Joe while he was checking his meter. Joe has had over 30 years experience with Siberian Huskys, it's his favorite breed. His last dog was a GSD/Husky mix that passed away a couple of months ago and they were looking for another family member. Scott told him about my situation and gave Joe my number. We talked for several days about Rogue and his positive behavior and his negative behavior and I really liked what he had to say so I invited him over to meet Rogue. They met on friday the 3rd and it went well. I told Joe that I wanted him to come over a couple more times so that Rogue got used to him and that I would let him have Rogue after I made a home visit. I had Rogue neutered the next day, saturday the 4th and he gets his stitches out on saturday the 18th. Joe came over that following tuesday and thursday and I brought Rogue to his home on saturday the 11th. Their yard is about the size of half an acre. They have a 6 foot chain link fence and some of the fence is buried under ground, so he wont be able to dig out. It's just Joe and his wife, they are in their early to mid 50's I would say and they have no children or other pets (except for fish). His friend is a professional trainer that he has used before with some of his other dogs, so he has no problem taking Rogue to him.

I offered to take Rogue to the Vet on the 18th and get his stitches removed but Joe said he'd do it because he doesn't want Rogue to get confused with me taking him there and he wants to work on bonding with him. He doesn't want me to visit for a while so that Rogue can get adjusted to his new home, and I agree with him.

We will continue to talk on the phone and I told him that I want Rogue back if there is ever a problem with him.

There you go. Bash if you want. :rolleyes:

I did what was best for Rogue, my other animals and myself.

#227 ·
I know letting Rogue go was hard, but it sounds like it was a good choice for him. It takes a lot of admit you were in over your head, and found help for rogue that you couldn't give. No bashing here. :) I know you struggled over this for a while and i'm sorry it had to come down to rogue finding another home, but sometimes it is all you have left. I just hope the next time to add to your family, you take your time (I know seeing a dog in need and our ability to help makes it hard)

#228 ·
This whole experience definitly opened my eyes. I am going to enjoy my Sinister Boy and wait at least 2 years before adding another puppy to my family. When the time comes, I am not going to settle for anything, I am going to get exactly what I want.

#229 ·
I think you did a good job finding a home for Rogue. It seems like they are a perfect fit for him. Glad to hear about the neutering also. I hope he does well with his new people. You did good.:)

#231 ·
Sounds like it worked out for both of you ... Rogue has a nice place all to himself and you have peace of mind that he has a good home with an experienced owner ... :)
No bashing here, I believe you did what you had to do !

#232 ·
This sounds like a perfect place for Rogue and I'm so glad you were able to find it (or your con ed guy did:)) I hope this will be a happy ending;)))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.