German Shepherds Forum banner

I Need Opinions!

28K views 245 replies 55 participants last post by  Jessiewessie99 
#1 ·
Please dont bash me. I dont know what to do and I need some help here.

As most of you know I adopted a GSD/Husky mix about 11 weeks ago. His name is Rogue and he is 1.5 years old and unaltered. He didn't know how to sit when I got him, he was used to being allowed on furniture, he door dashed, he had no impulse control, he hated his crate and he hated car rides. We improved on all of those problems.

He gets along wonderfully with my GSD, they are the best of friends and glued to the hip. He gets along with all 3 of my cats. He can be very sweet.

Here are my problems......

He is aggressive towards other dogs, bares his teeth, he growls and he lunges on his leash. He is toy and food aggressive towards my GSD. They cannot have toys together unless they are supervised (I have to stand between them) because Rogue will go after his face and take the toy away and he will growl if my GSD goes near him when he has a toy. They have to be fed apart ( I have had to physically stop him from going over to my GSD's bowl, he was literally pushing me back to get to the bowl).

He poops in my house ALL OF THE TIME! He gives no warning! When I take them outside he pees, we stay out there for 15-20 minutes and sometimes he will poop and other times he will go to the back door and sit because he wants to go back inside and then 5 minutes later he is pooping on my floor! :mad:

He has an issue with water. The bowl will be completely full and he'll be drinking and my GSD will come over to the bowl to drink some and Rogue will go after his face and then he will stand there and drink the whole entire bowl so that my GSD doesn't get any.

Now the worst part of his behavior, he growls at everyone and bares his teeth at them. I have no doubt in my mind that he would bite. He is very cautious and aware, he is always looking around and always watching people and everything they do. He is unpredictable and I do not feel comfortable taking him places. I did not take him with when I went trick-or-treating with my nephews and niece, I do not trust Rogue especially around children.

Although I dont give him the chance because I take steps to make sure it doesn't happen I am still worried that he will bite someone and I do not want to be sued. Even though he is best friends with my GSD I am still afraid that he might turn on him.

I am having a hard time bonding with him. Is there something wrong with me? I dont know why I cant bond with him, I have done one on one time with him, I have done training with him, I like him. But I do not love him like I know I can. I love all of my animals more than anything else in this world but I cant love him. I dont know if it's because I didn't raise him, I didn't have him as a baby like I have had all of the others, I dont know if it's because he has the "what's in it for me" type attitude where my GSD has the "What can I do for you" attitude. I dont know if it's because I dont like the way he treats my GSD sometimes and I become the protective mother of my GSD. I dont know if it's because I am scared of him sometimes and I am afraid he will hurt others.

What do I do?

See less See more
#146 ·
hi laren, glad to hear rogue is doing better. i hear ya on the seperate walks. i have to always walk two, and it sucks. as others mentioned its really hard to "Train" when walking two of em.

but there are only 24 hours in a day, and I'd feel bad not taking one for a walk. although technically one 1 is my dog, still...we all live together

#151 ·
I am having some issues with my camera, the only picture I have of him at this moment is a picture I took last week of Rogue, Sin and Biff. I took it with my cell phone so it's kinda crappy.

Rogue is closest to my cousin, Sin is on the left and Biff is on the right. I took the picture.

#150 ·
Has he been checked by the vet for urinary problems? I find it weird that he pees all over everything too and I'd be super pissed (haha no pun intended) if I were you.

To be honest with you Lauren, if you are this frustrated with him then maybe it is time for you to give him up. My only advice is, if you can afford it, have a good evaluation with a behaviorist that is used to behavioral issues and if he is truly aggressive, euthanize him.

My only problem with you rehoming him is that you are passing the problems on to someone else. I think it's highly unlikely that you will find someone who wants to or is capable of handling his problems. You may find people who say they can but I'd have a hard time believing them and I think it's unfair for him to bounce around from home to home when he's not stable. It can really take a toll on even the most balanced dog.

#153 ·
Has he been checked by the vet for urinary problems? I find it weird that he pees all over everything too and I'd be super pissed (haha no pun intended) if I were you.

I was very upset. He didn't have any urinary problems. He has peed in my house maybe 4 times. He used to poop in my house about 2-3 times a week but we haven't had as many poop issues, the last time was last wednesday I believe.

To be honest with you Lauren, if you are this frustrated with him then maybe it is time for you to give him up. My only advice is, if you can afford it, have a good evaluation with a behaviorist that is used to behavioral issues and if he is truly aggressive, euthanize him.

I want to give up. I think that I have become so frustrated with him that I dont think that a bond can happen at this point.

My only problem with you rehoming him is that you are passing the problems on to someone else. I think it's highly unlikely that you will find someone who wants to or is capable of handling his problems. You may find people who say they can but I'd have a hard time believing them and I think it's unfair for him to bounce around from home to home when he's not stable. It can really take a toll on even the most balanced dog.
I know. I dont want to pass on his problems, I really dont, but I dont want to see him get pts either. I will start looking for a home for him, he can stay with me until it happens but this person has to be able to take on his issues. With work he might not have problems anymore. I'm very upset and hurt about his old owner and the fact that she lied to me and that she wont return my calls or texts. I feel like she is laughing at me. I worked on several things with him, he is alot better now then he was when I got him so we have improved on some things.

#152 ·
Yes, he is aggressive towards people. He is also toy/food/dog aggressive.

I dont want him to be pts. If there is a way to rehome him to someone that is a trainer or has worked with aggressive dogs and knows what they are getting into then I would rehome him to that person.
Again, not wanting to hijack the other thread even though you two are discussing it.

Have you started to contact trainers to see if they know someone who would take him? If you are serious about rehoming him... start contacting local obedience clubs, trainers, rescues and vets and see if they know someone who can take him. And please be 150% honest with them about what you have seen/experienced with Rogue. It will be his best shot.

And if you find a "trainer" that will take him, make sure to do some research on them to see what they are really about. I think the worst thing that could happen to Rogue is for him to go to some "trainer" that will confine him to crate or shock him into compliance.

#154 ·
Again, not wanting to hijack the other thread even though you two are discussing it.

Have you started to contact trainers to see if they know someone who would take him? If you are serious about rehoming him... start contacting local obedience clubs, trainers, rescues and vets and see if they know someone who can take him. And please be 150% honest with them about what you have seen/experienced with Rogue. It will be his best shot.

I dont like how his old owner lied to me about him so there is no way that I would lie to someone else about him.

And if you find a "trainer" that will take him, make sure to do some research on them to see what they are really about. I think the worst thing that could happen to Rogue is for him to go to some "trainer" that will confine him to crate or shock him into compliance.
I do have a cousin that trains Rottweilers, I dont know if he would be interested in taking him in or not but I could always ask him. I dont know what kind of training he does but I have heard from my relatives that his dogs are amazing.

#155 ·
Sounds like you are getting a plan together. While obviously, I'd rather see you work with Rogue, if you resent him that much then you aren't doing any of the animals in your house a favor.

No one can fault you for being honest and trying to do the right thing especially if they've never been in your situation.

Start your search for the right home but continue to work with him in the mean time. Getting relaxed with your training now because you've decided that you aren't going to keep him is just going to make things worse until he finds a new home.

#156 ·
Sounds like you are getting a plan together. While obviously, I'd rather see you work with Rogue, if you resent him that much then you aren't doing any of the animals in your house a favor.

I feel like me being stressed is stressing everyone else, my cousin included. I just feel like enough is enough. I know you guys dont really know what I mean because you dont live here but I feel like we both tolerate each other. We are not a team. We are like acquaintances.

No one can fault you for being honest and trying to do the right thing especially if they've never been in your situation.

Start your search for the right home but continue to work with him in the mean time. Getting relaxed with your training now because you've decided that you aren't going to keep him is just going to make things worse until he finds a new home.
I am in no rush. I will look for a home for him. I will have my mom ask around her shop if anyone is interested in him and then I'll talk to them and see how much experience and training they have and decide from there. He has a home for the holidays.

#160 ·
No, he is not worse now. He has always been this way, always. I can not tell you how many times he has pooped in my house, I can not tell you how many times I have stepped in his water vomit because he drinks too much and then he takes a couple steps and spits out water vomit and continues on his way while I step into it. I have been sick of him for quite a while, I started this thread almost a month ago, I wanted to give up then but I listened to all of you and stuck with it. I dont like his personality, I dont like that he's unpredictable, I dont like that I cannot trust him around people, I barely like him at all, I tolerate him. I'm done pleasing others, he should have been gone along time ago. My other pets are suffering because of him, because I am stressed out and I dont want him in my house anymore.

I dont care about the negative things that people are going to say, I am making the best decision for me and my pets. I am making a better decision for Rogue, he deserves a better home.

#169 ·
Ohhh LaRen I'm so sorry this happend I know how happy you was when you got him. I really wish it had worked out for you guys. I don't think any less of you because you can't get along with him. You gave it your best shot and it jus didn't work. Maybe he would like a home were he could pull sleds or carts. Some dogs like to live out side maybe he only wants to be outside and in only to sleep. Good luck in finding the perfect forever home for him :hugs:

#170 ·
Ohhh LaRen I'm so sorry this happend I know how happy you was when you got him. I really wish it had worked out for you guys. I don't think any less of you because you can't get along with him. You gave it your best shot and it jus didn't work. Maybe he would like a home were he could pull sleds or carts. Some dogs like to live out side maybe he only wants to be outside and in only to sleep. Good luck in finding the perfect forever home for him :hugs:
Thank you Christen! :hugs:

#171 ·
Laren, I don't think anyone is going to be mad at you for rehoming Rogue. We all want what is best for our dogs no matter how much you problems they cause. I can see you want whats best for Rogue, you and your other animals. I think its a good decision to rehome him. You tried your best and made some improvement. That is dedication and I very hopeful you will get Rogue into a good home where someone can care for him.

You did what you could for him and are now trying to do whats right for him and you and your other animals. It may seem hard, but it is for the best.

#172 ·
Unaltered?first and foremost a dog with this type of attitude needs to be neutered.many types of defficating and peeing are dominance related and are corrected by snipping what he does not need.not many new owners know that defficating are signs of "i'm the boss" and marking.i mean you are not going to breed with him so cut em.

#173 ·
I am so glad your cyber friends have arrived to turn your sad decision into a congratulations (somehow!).

Tierra Nuestra: Rogue still isn't fixed because she never intended on keeping him, silly!

Your idea of "working with him" is allowing your cousin to bring home a rottie puppy?
A dog pooping in your house and it isn't your problem? Who will take this dog now?

Fine rehome or euthanize the poor dog--just take "I love animals" OFF your page.

I "call it like I see it" and it is my right to give an opinion!

Please tell us how you have no plans on another dog but are in touch with 2 breeders?

BTW: Funny how when reasonable advice is given you call it an attack (i.e. Agile GSD). But hearing what you want to hear---now that is great advice!

Good luck Rogue!

#199 ·
I am so glad your cyber friends have arrived to turn your sad decision into a congratulations (somehow!).

Tierra Nuestra: Rogue still isn't fixed because she never intended on keeping him, silly!

Not true at all actually. He wasn't neutered because I wanted to wait until he turned 2 years old.

Your idea of "working with him" is allowing your cousin to bring home a rottie puppy?

My cousin is almost never home, she takes her dog everywhere with her and she is training her dog.

A dog pooping in your house and it isn't your problem? Who will take this dog now?

I never said him pooping in the house wasn't my problem.

Fine rehome or euthanize the poor dog--just take "I love animals" OFF your page.

Do not tell me what to do. I do love animals. I dont love this animal.

I "call it like I see it" and it is my right to give an opinion!

And that's great for you

Please tell us how you have no plans on another dog but are in touch with 2 breeders?

First off, I am not in contact with 2 breeders. I am in contact with one breeder. I have been talking to him for a long time now and I belong to his forum. We are not talking about me getting a puppy. We are friends. I have zero plans on getting a puppy.

BTW: Funny how when reasonable advice is given you call it an attack (i.e. Agile GSD). But hearing what you want to hear---now that is great advice!

Good luck Rogue!
Thanks for your thoughts

#174 ·
I think it's become very clear that no matter how much we do not agree with LaRen's decision in rehoming Rogue that trying to make her feel bad about it isn't going to get us our way. It's obvious that she resents Rogue and that's not going to change no matter what we say and living in a house full of resentment is not good for anyone in that home - four legged or two.

It's a sad situation for all involved and particularly for Rogue but instead of being harsh (which just shuts LaRen off), we can offer some guidance in helping Rogue to find a home that will and can deal with whatever problems he may have.

#176 ·
This is a forum for pet owners to get info/advice on behalf of their GSDs. Turning this situation into a love fest does nothing but convince the OP and others visiting that dog ownership is NOT a lifetime commitment. If your dog doesn't fall right into place in your living situation (that you chose, not him) he can be turned back in.

There was a recent thread in which the OP was given some harsh criticism about the decision of rehoming his dog and he took the advice he rec'd from people to improve the situation. If everyone only said " oh you are good for rehoming the dog" and there were no people saying it like it is, he wouldn't have thought twice.

So if you can't handle the situation that is your deal- but I think it does a disservice to other owners and certainly the dogs to minimize the rehoming/euthanizing decision (and yuck-telling someone good for you?!)

#178 ·
I'm curious. She got Rogue from CL. If I remember correctly, he was ill mannered, and not house trained. If she is working on that with him, and working with him not to be aggressive with humans and other animals. If she is vetting him and taking care of his health issues. And she finds that Rogue doesn't fit within her pack and wants to find him a good home...how far over the line has she crossed from saving a dog from CL and fostering him until she can locate a better home?

#177 ·
Please at least have the decency to go through a rescue, preferably a husky rescue so the same thing that happened to your first husky doesn't happen again. Rogue deserves better then to be passed around from owner to owner until he ends up in a shelter waiting to die.

#181 ·
Most rescues aren't going to take dogs like this.

I am an avid rescuer, but the reality it that those who aren't heavily involved with rescue do not realize that the vast majority of rescues are very selective about dogs they bring into the rescue. They typically don't take the REAL problem dogs like everyone thinks they do. They would tie up all their resources and foster homes into long term fostering and training and likely end up still not being able to adopt the dog out due to liability and no adopters wanting that dog.

Most people that go to rescues want a dog with no serious behavioral issues, and most rescues don't want to or can't deal with the serious problems either.

This dog doesn't stand a chance. That's the reality. If he is as bad as is written, then euthanasia and not rehoming is the mature and appropriate decision. Rehoming him is just passing the buck IMHO. If he's not as bad as written, then finding an appropriate home would be fantastic, but the chances of doing that are slim to none.

#179 ·
11 weeks? You have made progress in other areas. Give yourself some time to continue to make progress in other areas.

#180 ·
My 2 cents for what it's worth..I think you jumped to fast when you got Rogue, but it's over and done with.

While it may not be his fault nor yours, that you can't bond with this dog and he's got loads of problems /stressing out everyone, I do feel bad for him.

I do think in the best interest of Rogue he should be rehomed. However, this may prove difficult, there aren't many who would want to take on this dog, and I don't think a rescue would touch him.

You mentioned your cousin being a dog trainer, I would talk to him asap, see if he's interested in taking him, put some training on him, and adopt him out since you said he does a wonderful job with his own dogs.

I also think IF you can rehome Rogue, you should focus on what you've got and not what you want. You have a lovely dog in Sin, from the way you talk about him, concentrate on him. What will happen when you buy a puppy from a breeder and he/she doesn't turn out the way you hoped?

It isn't fair to you or Rogue to keep him if he's not wanted, if he can't be rehomed, well euthanizing may be something you don't want to do, but it may be your only choice if don't want to live with this dog for the next 10 years or more.

It's a decision only you can make, and only you can move forward with whatever that decision is, no one can do it for you:(

#202 ·
My 2 cents for what it's worth..I think you jumped to fast when you got Rogue, but it's over and done with.

I completely agree with you. I did jump too fast.

While it may not be his fault nor yours, that you can't bond with this dog and he's got loads of problems /stressing out everyone, I do feel bad for him.

Please dont get me wrong, I do feel bad for him, I wish I could have been his forever home but this just isn't working.

I do think in the best interest of Rogue he should be rehomed. However, this may prove difficult, there aren't many who would want to take on this dog, and I don't think a rescue would touch him.

I am in contact with someone in the next town over, I do not know yet if he is the right person for Rogue.

You mentioned your cousin being a dog trainer, I would talk to him asap, see if he's interested in taking him, put some training on him, and adopt him out since you said he does a wonderful job with his own dogs.

Yes, my cousin Ritchie. I emailed him yesterday but I have not heard back from him yet.

I also think IF you can rehome Rogue, you should focus on what you've got and not what you want. You have a lovely dog in Sin, from the way you talk about him, concentrate on him. What will happen when you buy a puppy from a breeder and he/she doesn't turn out the way you hoped?

I am not looking at getting another dog/puppy.

It isn't fair to you or Rogue to keep him if he's not wanted, if he can't be rehomed, well euthanizing may be something you don't want to do, but it may be your only choice if don't want to live with this dog for the next 10 years or more.

It's a decision only you can make, and only you can move forward with whatever that decision is, no one can do it for you:(
Thank you

#182 ·
I have very little to say about this, except that I believe it would be essential and responsible to neuter Rogue before rehoming him. Otherwise, he may end up passing on his temperament issues to a whole 'nother generation.

#183 ·
Euthanization is putting a dog out of its misery because it is suffering.
Anything else is execution.

#197 · (Edited)
So you're saying a dog should only be euthanized if dying of cancer or something along those lines? Not quite sure what you meant by suffering, but I'm guessing you mean something along the lines of terminally ill or some kind of severely debilitating illness.

The Nazi's executed 6 million Jews because of their religion during the holocaust. Is this the same type of "execution" that you were referring to in your above statement?

What if a dog has such bad aggression problems that he's a risk to not only everyone around him, but himself as well, which actually may apply to this situation. Not saying it should be done here without at least neutering and having a behaviorist check him out, but may still apply here once all is said and done.

Or all of the pitbulls in shelters because they were bred and trained to become fighting dogs and they didn't quite make it in the fighting ring? Not all fighting dogs should be euthanized because they can and are eventually rehabilitated. Some aren't quite as lucky. Is it execution to put a dog down who only sees red every single time it sees another dog? Is that fair for that dog or any other dog that this dog comes across to be put in this kind of dangerous situation? I don't think it is.

There are good reasons to humanely euthanize a dog other than if it's on it's death bed. At the very least, look up the the words in a dictionary before making a statement like the one you made in the above post. This way, you'll at least know their definitions before making such a drastic statement.

Oh and I spell checked everything just for you, so I'm pretty sure my spelling should be spot on. Maybe a few grammatical errors, but I did my best, just for you. ;)

#186 · (Edited)
I don't get the impression any money will be going into him to prepare him for adoption.

It blows my mind that he hasn't been neutered. I know there are many here that are anti-spay and neuter but there is no reason that a dog displaying these kinds of problems shouldn't be neutered. I have personally seen it help a NUMBER of dogs. My mother has a 3 yr old that I pulled from a high kill shelter that was HW positive with a minor ACL issue (among other problems). She adopted him after I'd had him for a few months and because it was my mother I let her go ahead and take him while he waited out the rest of his HW treatment. Once he was well and allowed free time in the house more regularly, he began marking everywhere non-stop. I was frustrated with her because she was relaying to me things that I felt were house training issues and lack of training/supervision. However, he would be on lead in the house and mark right there at the end of the lead before she could move. He finally got the all clear from the vet to get neutered and I kid you not he never marked again and it's been over a year now since neutering.

Other fosters with the same results. Difficult, hard headed, marking - neutered and corrected.

At the very least it's worth a shot. He needs to be neutered anyway, so what do you have to lose?

#191 · (Edited)
He needs to be neutered anyway, so what do you have to lose?
I don't think there is much chance of her putting any money into this dog now. If she wasn't willing to pay for professional training help when her intention was to keep him, why would she pay to get this dog vetted prior to placing him?

In rescue work we often hear the "But they promised to neuter him, I offered him for free to offset the neuter expense" excuse. Loosely translated to "I passed the buck to someone else".

The rumor was that the Rottie was actually her dog, recently acquired, and that Rogue was either already gone or would be gone shortly. That was a week ago.
Sheilah

#189 ·
LaRen, he needs to be neutered before you try to rehome him.

Since I don't really know where you live other than Northern Illinois, here is some information for low cost neuter programs that I hope are in your area: Dogs Deserve Freedom: Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics - Illinois

You can PM if you want my help to find more or ones that are closer. At the very least, it will give some assurance that he won't be bred and at best, it will help with some of the behavior issues.

#190 ·
So I just read through this entire thread...I'm extremely disappointed.

Laren you are constantly saying how much you love animals and I've seen you attack people on this board for not living up to your high standards of pet ownership. Yet this thread is almost a month old and you have been given some pretty amazing advice. Why on earth have you not contacted a behaviorist? If you really cared at all that would have been one of your top priorities. So what are you doing?

I don't care how upset you are that his previous owners lied about his behavior, you got a dog off CL for free no less. What did you expect? The perfect dog? You're an adult, get over it. This dog needs you. Whether or not you love him you owe him a chance because you took him into your home. I'm not saying keep the dog forever. If you really don't want him fine, but give him the tools to be a great dog for someone else. Look at all the dogs on CL and at shelters looking for homes because they have "issues." Someone has to step up and help that dog. What chance does Rouge have if YOU don't help him?

What kind of message does that send if you just give up when something is difficult or doesn't go the way you planned? At least try(really try), what have you got to lose?

#192 ·
I am starting to reconsider what I said in an earlier post. People did offer advice(great advice) but you refused to listen unless it was something you liked.

Things like this take time. Bonding with a dog with issues like Rogues take time like a 1 year or longer. I seriously think you didn't even give Rogue enough time to even bond with you and you kept from bonding with him. I don't want to be mean, but what others are saying is true. You decided to take him in, and so therefore he is YOUR responsibility. You didn't even take him to a vet to see if he had any issues or get him neutered. He could have some sort of medical issue and you failed to get him care and will suffer because of it. You failed him. Don't get mad because we got mad at you for rehoming him. You brought this on yourself, no one made you get him.

#193 ·
Like i said before the no neuter thing was a red flag.first thing we did when i took on keeno our pyr/maremma cross(the people got rid of him because he did not bond to sheep or bark) was cut him because he was territorial to a fault,crapped everywhere and was possesive of our other dogs.he strayed the second he knew you weren't looking ect.they told us he was cut but he kept marking so we took him in right away and found out he was partially done.????yes,half.the other testicle had not dropped so only one was removed by whom i do not want to know.we booked him in for surgery to go in after it and voila,i've never seen such a drastic change in a dog.oh,i forgot to mention he had the most foul smelling pee,it reeked it was so strong!after he was done,he was mild,sweet,he even left the other dogs alone after a week or so and has stopped crapping everywhere.his urine is normal.that was almost 5 years ago and he is now almost 10.he was a dog no one wanted and now so many people love him because of his temperment and would never guess how he came to us or in what condition.i would like to post before and after if i can figure it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.