German Shepherds Forum banner

I Need Opinions!

28K views 245 replies 55 participants last post by  Jessiewessie99 
#1 ·
Please dont bash me. I dont know what to do and I need some help here.

As most of you know I adopted a GSD/Husky mix about 11 weeks ago. His name is Rogue and he is 1.5 years old and unaltered. He didn't know how to sit when I got him, he was used to being allowed on furniture, he door dashed, he had no impulse control, he hated his crate and he hated car rides. We improved on all of those problems.

He gets along wonderfully with my GSD, they are the best of friends and glued to the hip. He gets along with all 3 of my cats. He can be very sweet.

Here are my problems......

He is aggressive towards other dogs, bares his teeth, he growls and he lunges on his leash. He is toy and food aggressive towards my GSD. They cannot have toys together unless they are supervised (I have to stand between them) because Rogue will go after his face and take the toy away and he will growl if my GSD goes near him when he has a toy. They have to be fed apart ( I have had to physically stop him from going over to my GSD's bowl, he was literally pushing me back to get to the bowl).

He poops in my house ALL OF THE TIME! He gives no warning! When I take them outside he pees, we stay out there for 15-20 minutes and sometimes he will poop and other times he will go to the back door and sit because he wants to go back inside and then 5 minutes later he is pooping on my floor! :mad:

He has an issue with water. The bowl will be completely full and he'll be drinking and my GSD will come over to the bowl to drink some and Rogue will go after his face and then he will stand there and drink the whole entire bowl so that my GSD doesn't get any.

Now the worst part of his behavior, he growls at everyone and bares his teeth at them. I have no doubt in my mind that he would bite. He is very cautious and aware, he is always looking around and always watching people and everything they do. He is unpredictable and I do not feel comfortable taking him places. I did not take him with when I went trick-or-treating with my nephews and niece, I do not trust Rogue especially around children.

Although I dont give him the chance because I take steps to make sure it doesn't happen I am still worried that he will bite someone and I do not want to be sued. Even though he is best friends with my GSD I am still afraid that he might turn on him.

I am having a hard time bonding with him. Is there something wrong with me? I dont know why I cant bond with him, I have done one on one time with him, I have done training with him, I like him. But I do not love him like I know I can. I love all of my animals more than anything else in this world but I cant love him. I dont know if it's because I didn't raise him, I didn't have him as a baby like I have had all of the others, I dont know if it's because he has the "what's in it for me" type attitude where my GSD has the "What can I do for you" attitude. I dont know if it's because I dont like the way he treats my GSD sometimes and I become the protective mother of my GSD. I dont know if it's because I am scared of him sometimes and I am afraid he will hurt others.

What do I do?

See less See more
#52 ·
hi laren,

i know you're a smart girl with the doggies. if you have been putting forth a lot of effort to work with Rogue on his aggression (both toward people and Sin) then you're doing the best you can.

if you're seeing some results, i'd say don't give up on Rogue too soon. if you feel like after all this time and effort he's stubborn and not getting better at all, then you may want to re-home him.

it's a rough decision to make...

#54 ·
I do not have a challenge with multiple dog/cat ownership. I am having a hard time bonding with an adult dog that I adopted that has more serious problems then I can handle and has unpredictable behavior and that the fact that I do not love the dog makes it all worse.

Raising a puppy, starting with a blank slate, molding the puppy into what I want, trying my best to socialize it and train it the way I trained my GSD, bonding with it as a puppy, I can handle. I honestly believe that it is easier to form a bond with a dog that you raised since it was a puppy than an adult dog that you dont know the history of.

#57 ·
I have a question, is the husky getting TONS of exercise? I have always heard they need to walk and walk and walk...then run...like all the time...they have very strong migratory instincts....would some SERIOUS exercise help? Take him jogging/biking???

#58 ·
But Laren if you re-home Rogue that will be 4 dogs that you have done this with in your young lifetime! I am sympathetic to young people making mistakes but please learn from them.

Enjoy the critters you already have and do right by them-you chose them.

I got my Max as an 8 wk old puppy and I still would never leave him alone with my adult cats. Getting a pup does not guarantee things will be easy to manage.

#60 ·
But Laren if you re-home Rogue that will be 4 dogs that you have done this with in your young lifetime! I am sympathetic to young people making mistakes but please learn from them.

Enjoy the critters you already have and do right by them-you chose them.

I got my Max as an 8 wk old puppy and I still would never leave him alone with my adult cats. Getting a pup does not guarantee things will be easy to manage.
I did not rehome my 2 Lab/Chow/Rott/Border Collie puppies, my sister and her family had them for almost a year and then they asked me if they could keep them. While they had them I still trained them, walked them, fed them, paid for all of their stuff and played with them.They fell in love with them and didn't want to part with them. I wanted them back, I loved them and I still do. I see them whenever I want to, I made the decision to let them keep them. When I brought them over to her house I had every intention to get them back. It wasn't supposed to be permanent.

#63 ·
I'm sorry, I though having someone else take your dog into their home was re-homing them.
It wasn't supposed to be that way.

I was living at home with my parents when I had Capone and Kahlua, problems came up at home that I dont expect you to get, my mothers husband put his hands on me and I had to move out immediately. I was 18 almost 19 and I needed to get into a cheap apartment. The apartment I could afford didn't allow dogs so my sister said she would keep them at her place until I got enough money to pay for an apartment that would allow dogs. She had them for almost a year when my Landlord finally agreed to let me keep the dogs in my apartment we settled on more money and I would do the yardwork but it was too late, my sister, her husband and her kids fell in love with them and wanted to keep them. I could have said no and took them back but I couldn't do that to my nephews and niece.

#67 ·
Neutering likely won't help anyway but if you are going to rehome him, you should make sure he is UTD on shots and neutered.

Have you been researching behaviorists in your area? An evaluation would be really helpful in determining if you can work with Rogue.

If you have your mind made up that you won't work with Rogue because you aren't bonded to him, then what options are you looking into for him?

#70 ·
Neutering likely won't help anyway but if you are going to rehome him, you should make sure he is UTD on shots and neutered.

Have you been researching behaviorists in your area? An evaluation would be really helpful in determining if you can work with Rogue.

If you have your mind made up that you won't work with Rogue because you aren't bonded to him, then what options are you looking into for him?
I dont know yet, I think I am going to try to work on his people problems, the whole have someone walk by and throw a treat to him. I am going to work with him a little while longer and see what I can do. If nothing works he can stay with me until I can find a more experienced home that is willing to take him and his challenges on.

#69 ·
And then there's the cat you didn't "bond" with that you talked about rehoming not long ago.
Please love the animals you have and stop looking to add to your pack.
You made a commitment to each one of these pets whether or not they ended up being "easy" to manage.
I am not judging you but pointing out info that you yourself put out there.

#73 ·
I still have Chaos. I have been working with her. We are getting better, she still hates the other animals but we are spending more time together. I am working on it, I love Chaos, I've had her since she was a baby. I also said that I would only let my friend Josh take her. She is very closely bonded with him. He wouldn't be able to take her for at least another year anyways and we are already improving so chances are that she will not be going anywhere.

#72 ·
If you are going to have someone toss a treat to him, you need to have excellent timing. If the treat is tossed while he's reacting then he is being rewarded for acting aggressive.

The best money you could spend right now is on a behaviorist that can evaluate what he is reacting too and to find the cause.

#76 ·
Well I still maintain what I said earlier. Personally I would NOT be working on the fear/people aggression issues with a dog that I did not feel bonded to. You need to take some time to bond with the dog and figure out what makes him tick before you can attempt to change things that may in fact be hardwired. By forcing the issue it will just cause more frustration for him and if you have no bond, what reason is there for him to listen to you and trust you?

Also I would not let other people treat him right now. He's your dog and it sounds like you are already unclear on how to proceed. Take some time to work things out between you and him, then get a game plan together (hopefully with the help of a professional).

#78 ·
I truly believe neutering will help, even if its minimal. I've seen many cases such as yours when I worked for the vets'. And I can honestly say that I have seen many miracle cases in which neutering helps. I wish you would consider it. In the long run, it will be beneficial,if you happen to decide to re-home Rogue if he was neutered. I would think that it would be difficult to place a dog in a new home, with has some issues that was intact. (and on a side note, not only do you and Kane share the same birthday, but also my son :) )

#81 ·
I also would not say that you will bond with a puppy easier than an adult dog..As I said, I have a 10 year male aussie that I got at 12 weeks old, and we do NOT click..
I feel guilty sometimes that I don't care for him as much as all my other dogs, and he can be a very mushy dog, very well behaved but a total brute when it comes to thinking and behaving like he is the "king" around here.

So, saying one can bond to a puppy better, is sometimes not the case:(

I really feel bad that you have found yourself in this situation, and I still think a behaviorist is your best bet, I personally would never rehome this dog I would be to paranoid at what he'd do in another situation, and rescue won't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

#82 ·
I agree with what the others have been saying. Get some professional help and have him evaluated. Talk to other husky owners, husky rescues, and even husky breeders(they may have some experience with dogs in this situation.)

Neutering may help, many not get rid of all of his problems, but probably some. Thats all the advice I can give.

Rogue is a beautiful dog, and I love his name. I wish you two the best, and hope there is a happy ending for both of you.

#83 ·
I don't buy the puppy bond. As much as we like to think we can, temperament is genetic. We can encourage certain traits to be expressed or suppressed, but only to a certain extent.

My heart dog is my unknown mix, adopted as an adult. Nikon I got as a puppy and Pan is now a puppy. Puppies are SO much work. After weeks of inconsistent sleep and constantly running after a puppy and adolescent dog, sometimes it is frustrating and I just want to pull my hair out and pass out from exhaustion. I actually am not much of a puppy person, to me it's just a necessary thing to get what I'm looking for in a dog.

#84 ·
Lies, heehee,,it gets better, honest it does,,doesn't help ya now,,been there done that. I hadn't had a puppy in 10 years, it ws quite a culture shock, not sure I want to do the 2 am potty breaks anymore:)

#85 ·
I don't think a puppy automatically guarantees a bond at all. I adopted my old girl Kiki as an older adult (maybe 4 years old?) and she bonded with us just fine. When we lost her to cancer in 2005 it was heartbreaking. My Pug was also adopted as an adult dog and he has bonded with us just fine in the 4.5 years that we have owned him.

Jackson came to us as a six week old foster puppy, and although he is happy with us, he could just as easily live with some other family and be okay. He is 7 years old now, and is one of those dogs that would fit in and do well just about anywhere.

As I said before, I would have happily given Tanner to the first likely home at any point during the first couple of years I owned him and he came to me as an 11 week old puppy.
Sheilah

#86 ·
I don't agree with the puppy bond either. I had a temporary foster for a week...just one short week. I cried like a baby when I handed him over to the rescue and I still miss him. If we didn't already have 3 dogs, he would have stayed.

We've had both Sierra and Banshee since they were puppies. I like them but I'm not bonded to them.

#87 ·
It is hard to bond with a new dog that is having behavioral issues. When I got Ava she was in survival mode, thinking she should be in charge. She was exhausting because
she was so much smarter than me too. Dammit! Now I don't know what I would do without her. It took time. And me realizing what a great dog I had under all that...baggage!

Things I would do with this dog -
1. Partner up with a Husky rescue for help - behavior, trainers etc. Then you have a relationship with them should you need additional assistance.
2. Neuter.
a. because it may help with behavior
b. nothing shows a dog you are serious like removing body parts ;) (KIDDING!)
3. Treat the dog like a foster - in other words, crate, tether, do happy upbeat obedience 3x a day for 5 minutes or less
4. Get a great positive trainer - one that can evaluate and help him with this behavior (SURVIVAL behavior - our survival behavior is also not pretty, eh Donners?)
Karen Pryor's website may help, if not check out the APDT website.
5. Set him up for success at all times - you seem to know his triggers, so avoid them for now

Bonding can take time - it also takes working together as a team. This may not come as easily to dogs who have never had that kind of relationship with a human,
and those whose team concept may be different than a GSD.

Baggage
Now that I'm home, bathed, settled, and fed,
All nicely tucked into my warm new bed.
I would like to open my baggage Lest I forget,
There is so much to carry - So much to regret.Hmm... Yes there it is, right on the top
Let's unpack Loneliness, Heartache and Loss,
And there by my leash hides Fear and Shame.As I look on these things I tried so hard to leave -
I still have to unpack my baggage called Pain.
I loved them, the others, the ones who left me,
But I wasn't good enough - for they didn't want me.
Will you add to my baggage? Will you help me unpack?
Or will you just look at my things and take me right back?Do you have the time to help me unpack?
To put away my baggage, To never re-pack?
I pray that you do - I'm so tired you see,
But I do come with baggage - Will you still want me?
By Evelyn Colbath

#88 ·
LaRen, so sorry to hear all the troubles with Rogue. I will put my 2 cents in for you here..first of all to comment on not bonding. My 6 year old German Shorthair and I have never quite bonded. I adopted him when he was 1 from a local shelter, he had been dumped there by atleast 2 seperate owners before me. He was AWFUL when I first got him, he destroyed my whole house (including an entire couch) the first day. We taught each other sooo much. I wanted to give up on him so many times I cant tell you but I never did...not necessarily because I loved him but I felt responsible. He has gotten better and our relationship is better but Im not bonded to him like the other dogs. Izaak is my doggie soul mate and Kendra is just something special..cant describe it...but Paul (yes his name is paul lol)..he's a different breed that one. We have even had a few confrontations when he doesn't want to deal with new foster dogs in the house and will suddenly display toy/treat aggression. He has tried to bite me before in the process..dogs are constantly learning how to react in certain situations and they definetly look to you on how to react appropriately. It sounds like no one has ever told him how to behave appropriately and this takes a LOT of time and work..and the breed he is will definetly add some frustrations into that

Im not sure I like the idea of people throwing him treats while walking..good idea in theory but like someone said...what if they throw it at just the wrong time when he is growling..then you are reinforcing that behavior. I think you have a HUGE opportunity here to learn from this dog..he definetly sounds like a challenge but you will come out with a lot of knowledge if you get the help you need. Best bet...TRAINER!! Someone on the outside that doesn't know you or him..they arn't going to care if they hurt your feelings..the only objective is to help the dog and train you. Also..even if we dont think neutering will help..it definetly wont hurt..I would do this ASAP!! I dont think you should re home him..just look at the example of the husky puppy. He has had 4 homes now...he's not getting any better and will probably end up really biting someone bad or doing something to get him in a lot of trouble..I dont think you want this for Rogue either..putting a dog down is HORRIBLE but you have to look at him living his life bouncing from home to home with no help and not getting any better with no structure..what is more fair??? Everyone will have their own opinions on this which is fine but you need to think about that happening because it is a STRONG possibility

I wish you two the best..Im sorry that you have to deal with this at all, please let me know if theres anything I can do to help..I can try and find some trainers in your area that are recommended...

#89 ·
Certain breeds are more "pack driven" than others and Huskies are known for not being that. I wonder if that is why the bond is harder to form when you are use to the biddability of a GSD?
9 pages, there is nothing I can add, you have alot of info to sort thru. I wish you and Rogue luck in what ever choice you make.

#90 ·
We once had a dog...i was not afraid of her, but well:
I had gone to the shelter to have my dogs microchipped- they were having a special deal. While we were standing in the lobby a GSD passed by...and she decided she belonged with us. I had not been considering bring another dog home....in fact we had adopted a real project not even a year before and were working with a behaviorist on his displaced aggression issues. Suddenly I was home with one more (adult) dog than I'd gone in with.... and oh my!!!

Shortly after she moved in we began to see her issues. We had been told her background (seized from a horrible abuse situation- and she had physical scars from it...we only slowly became aware of the mental scars). Once she settled in we began to see some dog aggression...some resource guarding...and she bit..randomly...people on the street with jackets and ball caps....and our neighbor who decided to rub her infected ears (and he was a vet at the ER near our house). She refused to housetrain. Several months into this insanity I found out I was pregnant with my first child. At that point I decided all the training at the local facility, all the extra walks with the dog walker, the doggie daycare time, using the behavior mod program on her as well..... none of it mattered if I didn't really do something about the training on a very basic, back to the start level. I certainly was not bonded...I was stressed...and I just felt responsible for her since she'd had such an awful life. I told her it was "do or die" time- that we either got a handle on her behaviors together or I would have to make a decision to free her from her demons.

I took two weeks off of work and enrolled in an intensive training course. We went 8 hours a day for 14 days straight. I can't say it was some sort of miracle, instant fix...but it sure did make a HUGE difference. It laid a new foundation for us and gave me some invaluable skills. We went back to basics as if she WAS a puppy. We had no more in house accidents after the two week course. We were able to enroll in classes. Her whole life changed and so did mine.

She became the very best dog with whom we EVER shared our house. We took her to all sorts of classes (agility, herding, flyball). She loved it...and even though she continued to be DA we learned to control her and her triggers (flyball was hard for her so we had to drop that activity). She was tender with the cats...and with the kids. When she died we were all devestated.

I say this just to give you hope. Things can change. i second and third all the suggestions for trainers, behaviorists, clicker training...and for treating him like he IS a puppy and needs to learn everything- because really he does. Nothing he has learned has been appropriate- so time to teach him the right way. You might also be surprised at the bonding that happens when you aren't looking

Good luck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.