My Dog Tried To Attack Me. Help Please!!!! :( - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
chicagojosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago
Posts: 1,866
Default

Lauri you're spot on.

DarKsmoke, I drink sometimes too. i bet other members on this board do as well.

in the original post and some of your follow up posts you have painted a very ugly, drunk, uneducated picture of yourself. the way you worded things brought on all the re-homing comments, which honestly may be the right thing. if you really love and care for this dog listen to Lauri's advise. but in general I have to agree it sounds like you do not treat your dog very well. you never said he drew blood, and it sounded like a little nip. then you mention knocking your dog out over it. people will react to that.
__________________
A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
DarkSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Malta
Posts: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojosh View Post
Lauri you're spot on.

DarKsmoke, I drink sometimes too. i bet other members on this board do as well.

in the original post and some of your follow up posts you have painted a very ugly, drunk, uneducated picture of yourself. the way you worded things brought on all the re-homing comments, which honestly may be the right thing. if you really love and care for this dog listen to Lauri's advise. but in general I have to agree it sounds like you do not treat your dog very well. you never said he drew blood, and it sounded like a little nip. then you mention knocking your dog out over it. people will react to that.
really, by saying i got home drunk i painted an ugly drun uneducated picture of myself? then please, and im not joking or being sarcastic, teach me what i should say next time not to be treated as a crackhead , how should i have said in an educated polite way ?
DarkSmoke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Relayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winter Haven, FL USA
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
really, by saying i got home drunk i painted an ugly drun uneducated picture of myself? then please, and im not joking or being sarcastic, teach me what i should say next time not to be treated as a crackhead , how should i have said in an educated polite way ?
Simple, don't ever hit or punch your dog!! If that wasn't the main event in the story, I doubt that anyone would have made a big deal about your drinking. Drinking is very often associated with violent behavior in people... that's a fact and exactly why you got the negative responses. Don't hit your dog.
Relayer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
brew1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: kentucky
Posts: 133
Default

DarkSmoke, it depends on how you want your dog to look at you...do you want him to fear you and always be in fear of what you are going to do next or do you want his respect? If you want his respect you probably want to stop hitting him. And as for this quote,
"either you guys are idiots or you guys live somewere were people are pussies and are scared of someone who drinks a bottle of vodka and owns a german shepherd. its of guys like me that animal cruelty exists?" For the first half, your dog can sense the difference in your persona when you drink, even if you think you're acting normal you may be more irritable and he senses that. The second part....knocking a dog out cold because he snapped at you is pretty extreme. So yeah, animal cruelty starts with swinging on your dog, if your dog tucks his tail when you "give him the look" or yell at him, then you're ruling with fear....I know personally I would rather my dog be excitedto see me than afraid...just my two cents
brew1985 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Lilie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Texas
Posts: 11,268
Default

DarkSmoke - I was serious in the questions I asked earlier in this thread. I'm curious if your dog's behavior changes when your behavior does. I think it would also be helpful to know how bad the bite was. Was it a nip? Did he use the same force he uses when you wrestle and play with him?
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member
 
CaliBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Posts: 568
Default

The same thing that happened to Malta happened to me about five months ago. I have owned two GSD and now have my third. The first two never growled at me or showed even the slightest aggression. The third dog I now have, however, (as I said, about 5 mo. ago) also growled at me and then snapped when I approached his bowl while he was eating meat, as Malta described.

LittleGuy receives meat leftovers when I come back from a restaurant. I live alone, and once in a while some friends invite me to a nice steakhouse, and when I get back I have a huge bag of leftovers for LittleGuy. This one evening, a friend hardly touched his Filet Mignon, and when I returned home that is what LittleGuy got for left overs.

After giving him the pieces of Filet Mignon, I approached again to give him the pieces of my leftover steak. First he quickly growled, and then snapped at my hand. It did not draw blood, but it pinched me and caused pain. I have never gotten drunk. I have never struck LittleGuy--in fact, quite the opposite. He is showered with love and attention.

So, if this has never happened with your GSD, let me assure you it is quite shocking, as you realize very quickly that even when you think you know the GSD temperament, you may still have something new to learn with every new dog. I do not agree with Malta punching his dog. However, I also find it offensive that as a result of this one incident, which would be upsetting and shocking to owners who are inexperienced and asking for advice, some of you are suggesting he is unfit and should find another home for his pet.

Please put your emotions in check and cut people some slack who speak English as a second language and are sincerely calling out for help after having made a mistake which can be explained from intoxication. I also have the impression of people who are too knee-jerk or love to pontificate to other owners on their fitness for owning a dog.

I was blessed to know a fellow owner who said almost word for word what Lauri wrote above. Lauri, your advice was not only sound and non-judgmental, but it works. After leaving LittleGuy alone to finish his food, I call this friend who first joked, "HE GOT FILET MIGNON--heck, I'd growl and bite your hand for some Filet Mignon LOL."

My friend explained that LittleGuy has been so spoiled, especially since I got him so soon after the death of BabyGirl and could never bring myself to correct him when he needed it (because I was in overwhelming grief). I wanted LittleGuy to be such a happy puppy that I abandoned my role, in his eyes, as pack leader and needed to gently reassert it. The part of approaching the bowl carefully in the future with extra pieces of meat did the trick.

LittleGuy is still uncomfortable when anyone approaches him while he is eating meat (kibble is fine), but now the overt aggression is gone. And I simply tell guests who visit that when LittleGuy is having some meat, please do not approach him.

There are other gentle ways to reassert being the pack leader. I am guessing that Malta cares about his GSD and also needs to gently assert himself as the pack leader, especially if like me he has allowed his dog to get away with things and have the run of the ranch, so to speak. Sometimes, if we spoil a GSD and hardly give correction, they do indeed get confused and lose a sense of stability, which can even lead to aggression.
CaliBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
yeah im waiting patiently for an answer , cause im woried. the strike was out of self defence nothing to hurt the dog but in case of aggression i prefer to kill the dog then the dog kills me of course. i never hitted the dog i hate animal violence so don't take me like that on that one.
"nothing to hurt the dog" you say here but above you said you knocked him out????????????????
codmaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
i think people here have misunderstand me. i never hitted my dog as long as he's been in my home. and no , i didnt knock my dog out yesterday and throwed him on the floor and he wasnt able to move, i don't know were people read this. i acted out of protection because he growled at me and instantly bited my hand and i punched in defence altough the dog just went hiding out under the bed. the dog doesn't have any injuries and is fine without any harm.

somebody here said that it was food protection, i highly doubt it since today during eating his dried food he was cudling with me between bites and i was holding his food bowl to eat the last bit altough he is protective when i feed him meat.

2 things were mentioned wich i think one of them is the reason, 1. that i wasn't the pack leader maybe, but he always obeyes me usualy, 2 is that he is maturing because he's about 1year8months old.

im looking forward for more advice, and i would apriciate if you wouldn't take it against me for punching my dog because a german sheperd bited my hand out of agresion, its basic instinct to protect yourself. im normal.
Hey darksmoke,
Above you said this :"i was so shocked i punched him in the face and droped him on the floor then he woke up he was gonna growl again and when i stood up he ran away hiding under the bed."

If you didn't knock him out why would he have to wake up? You really need to get your story straight - if you can what with being so drunk, you might not even really remember what actually happen.
I agree with the folks here who indicate that if you are going to continue to get drunk so much (and of course that is your right) why don't you decide to treat your dog right and find him a better home?
codmaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
The same thing that happened to Malta happened to me about five months ago. I have owned two GSD and now have my third. The first two never growled at me or showed even the slightest aggression. The third dog I now have, however, (as I said, about 5 mo. ago) also growled at me and then snapped when I approached his bowl while he was eating meat, as Malta described.

LittleGuy receives meat leftovers when I come back from a restaurant. I live alone, and once in a while some friends invite me to a nice steakhouse, and when I get back I have a huge bag of leftovers for LittleGuy. This one evening, a friend hardly touched his Filet Mignon, and when I returned home that is what LittleGuy got for left overs.

After giving him the pieces of Filet Mignon, I approached again to give him the pieces of my leftover steak. First he quickly growled, and then snapped at my hand. It did not draw blood, but it pinched me and caused pain. I have never gotten drunk. I have never struck LittleGuy--in fact, quite the opposite. He is showered with love and attention.

So, if this has never happened with your GSD, let me assure you it is quite shocking, as you realize very quickly that even when you think you know the GSD temperament, you may still have something new to learn with every new dog. I do not agree with Malta punching his dog. However, I also find it offensive that as a result of this one incident, which would be upsetting and shocking to owners who are inexperienced and asking for advice, some of you are suggesting he is unfit and should find another home for his pet.

Please put your emotions in check and cut people some slack who speak English as a second language and are sincerely calling out for help after having made a mistake which can be explained from intoxication. I also have the impression of people who are too knee-jerk or love to pontificate to other owners on their fitness for owning a dog.

I was blessed to know a fellow owner who said almost word for word what Lauri wrote above. Lauri, your advice was not only sound and non-judgmental, but it works. After leaving LittleGuy alone to finish his food, I call this friend who first joked, "HE GOT FILET MIGNON--heck, I'd growl and bite your hand for some Filet Mignon LOL."

My friend explained that LittleGuy has been so spoiled, especially since I got him so soon after the death of BabyGirl and could never bring myself to correct him when he needed it (because I was in overwhelming grief). I wanted LittleGuy to be such a happy puppy that I abandoned my role, in his eyes, as pack leader and needed to gently reassert it. The part of approaching the bowl carefully in the future with extra pieces of meat did the trick.

LittleGuy is still uncomfortable when anyone approaches him while he is eating meat (kibble is fine), but now the overt aggression is gone. And I simply tell guests who visit that when LittleGuy is having some meat, please do not approach him.

There are other gentle ways to reassert being the pack leader. I am guessing that Malta cares about his GSD and also needs to gently assert himself as the pack leader, especially if like me he has allowed his dog to get away with things and have the run of the ranch, so to speak. Sometimes, if we spoil a GSD and hardly give correction, they do indeed get confused and lose a sense of stability, which can even lead to aggression.
NO family dog should EVER snap at a family member who happens to come near him while he is eating no matter what the food in the bowl is. Puppies need to be trained from the first meal not to be food possesive. It is actually very easy to train a puppy noot to react to their food being taken away or to someones fingers in it.
codmaster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
chicagojosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago
Posts: 1,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
really, by saying i got home drunk i painted an ugly drun uneducated picture of myself? then please, and im not joking or being sarcastic, teach me what i should say next time not to be treated as a crackhead , how should i have said in an educated polite way ?
telling us all you got home drunk and ended up knocking your dog out cold over a bite that drew no blood will make you seem like an ugly, drunk. YES

the uneducated part came in from how you type. i didnt realize english was a 2nd language, however calling everyone on the thread pussies makes you come off like an inmature person
__________________
A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com