German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Dog Tried To Attack Me. Help Please!!!! :(

37K views 153 replies 53 participants last post by  Castlemaid 
#1 ·
So, Its been so long since i posted.
Yesterday after work i went out to drink and got home drunk.
I was eating some pork chops and gave rex half of the piece of gras on the outside of the chop. then my girlfriend gave him a bowl of dried food because we didnt have meat, usually he eats raw meat but when we don't have we give him some dried food. When I Feed him meat from my hands its ok , but when i feed him meat in his bowl whoever walks near him he growls. Yesterday it was just dried food, and when i told him "Rex go eat" surprisingly he growled at me and gave me a bad look. i shouted at him, and he growled and bited my hand but didnt do any damage. i was so shocked i punched him in the face and droped him on the floor then he woke up he was gonna growl again and when i stood up he ran away hiding under the bed. i Don't know whats gotten into my dog. he doesn't even attack dogs outside that bark at him he just looks at them without even barking. he is even starting to growl at my GF when she tries to take something from him latly altough he never does that to me he usually obeys me. but growling and biting me cause i point my finger at a bowl of dried food? :S

this dog never showed any signs of aggression but i from yesterday im really starting to thinking that the raw meat does get a dog aggressive.
please anybody can give me some help, what happened? what should i do now? i still didnt talk with him he's just lying around and not moving sleeping right now.

See less See more
#109 ·
Well this thread got heated, didn't it? And a bit of topic. Complaints about how some swear words are censored and how others aren't? Really?

I definitely second (or third or fourth, however many) the NILIF training. And I don't think that you scarred your dog for life from the one hit, but if he dropped to the ground and ran, it obviously startled him. You may have gone two steps back, but just do some positive reinforcement training to get back on track.

#110 ·
the dog already drops things from his mouth when i tell him. i also teached him another 2 commands, to sit and to give me his hand. I don't like the idea of clases cause the internet already gives much information on how to teach things to dogs and im short on the money because they are expensive here.

#113 ·
This whole thread is unbelievable. It doesn't matter if he lies, curses, and blatantly insults other members. Please get off your high horse. Rally the wagons! We have to be able to provide constructive advice to someone who won't give straight facts to begin with, and if you're not doing exactly that, your opinion is useless in helping this poor guy and you should be ignored because, by gawd, we don't want him to leave!! Well, here's my positive contribution... he can have my spot. I'm out...

#114 ·
I'd like to add in agreement, classes are GREAT..You may think you get alot of info via the internet, which you can, but there is nothing like going to a good class if there's one available. YOU as well as the dog can learn so much plus it's a good way to socialize

#115 ·
What's really sad to me about this whole situation is you are totally missing out on AWESOME relationship you should be having with your GSD. They are very social and just a great dog-you most likely have ruined this relationship for good.

GSD take ALOT ALOT of time and training-it really does not sound like you have the time.

Yes, your dog most likey shows food agression, but honesly that's the least of your problems.

The dog is the innocent one in this whole situation.

Either rehome the dog or pay for a experienced dog trainer who has experience with GSD.

Poor dog....

#116 ·
Again, you must be able to recognize a good trainer in order to get any benefit from one.

I know how to train a dog. I have trained many, many dogs. I have put titles on 9 separate dogs within a three year span. Some multiple titles. But I STILL take my dogs to classes. Why do I take my dogs to a basic obedience class or CGC class.

Two reasons:

First, the dog is socialized to other dogs and people in this venue, dogs that are under control and people who are usually dog people. I can help others and sometimes I am helped by others.

Second, I can only see the dog, I cannot see the dog in relation to me. I cannot see myself, my body language. Another experienced individual can tell me that I am moving my shoulder a certain way, or can give me advice to get my dogs to do something better. Something that I would fumble and maybe never get.

I know that money is tight. It is tight all over. It is never too tight to go out boozing with the buddies. Yes, I did say that. Because I have been spending my alcohol and cigarrette money on dog classes for years. There are always choices we make. When we take on a dog, we have a responsibility toward them. If money is short, then find it by denying yourself something else. Cable TV, internet, cell phone. If my dog NEEDS something, there are things I do not NEED quite so much.

#120 ·
Again, you must be able to recognize a good trainer in order to get any benefit from one.

I know how to train a dog. I have trained many, many dogs. I have put titles on 9 separate dogs within a three year span. Some multiple titles. But I STILL take my dogs to classes. Why do I take my dogs to a basic obedience class or CGC class.

Two reasons:

First, the dog is socialized to other dogs and people in this venue, dogs that are under control and people who are usually dog people. I can help others and sometimes I am helped by others.

Second, I can only see the dog, I cannot see the dog in relation to me. I cannot see myself, my body language. Another experienced individual can tell me that I am moving my shoulder a certain way, or can give me advice to get my dogs to do something better. Something that I would fumble and maybe never get.

I know that money is tight. It is tight all over. It is never too tight to go out boozing with the buddies. Yes, I did say that. Because I have been spending my alcohol and cigarrette money on dog classes for years. There are always choices we make. When we take on a dog, we have a responsibility toward them. If money is short, then find it by denying yourself something else. Cable TV, internet, cell phone. If my dog NEEDS something, there are things I do not NEED quite so much.
Well said! A dog is a major responsibility! Maybe if you talk to a training club they might be able to give you a discount. Worth a shot!

#122 ·
my last comment :

Your last post shows where your priorities lie and unfortunately it's not to benefit your dog:(

#123 ·
Okay, I felt bad for him at first, now with that comment, I dont, you NEED TO REHOME YOUR DOG! If you wanted the help, you would be truly putting in an effort. My opionion at this point, he is on here to get a laugh on what people are saying. Maybe this is all just a joke. It has to be. No one would come on here asking for help, and then, say that. Good luck to him and I think we all need to just leave it along. Being realistic now........

#133 ·
I really don't think this guy is for real. I think he is making stuff up just to get a reaction from this forum. He has utilized all of the 'hot topic' buttons and then is sitting back and enjoying us disagreeing with each other.

I say lock this thread and let him troll some other forum. I'd suggest finding an AA forum. If in fact he is old enough to drink.

#139 ·
all i said was because someone told me that "i have money to get drunk" , i have money to get drunk on saturday because a bottle of smirnoff costs 9euros here. i don't understand whats wrong explaining to others something. classes last i checked were about 30 euros or more.

#141 ·
I'm going to assume, language aside, you still have enough reading comprehension to know this board is full of DOG LOVERS. what perplexes me is how you think it's no big deal to tell us how you hit your dog (and let's face it, no matter how YOU want to word it, you HIT YOUR DOG in anger) and then you tell us you'd rather pay for alcohol than find a way to pay for dog classes.

how your brain manages to make that ok is beyond me. and looking at US like we are the nutbags for disagreeing??? I really can't wrap my head around that one.

either take the advice given that you found helpful or find a new board. either way, you're not likely to find anyone here to side with you and tell you what you did was ok.

#140 ·
What's worse? 30 euros to take your dog to classes or a hospital visit because he ripped your face off? (Or someone else's?) And the emotional heartbreak because you'd have to have him destroyed. GET THE CLASSES.

#142 ·
Okay. Let's put it this way. There's 52 weeks in a year, that makes 52 weekends. 13 euros multiplied by 52 weekends = 676. That's over 22 classes, if classes cost 30 euros!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.