My Dog Tried To Attack Me. Help Please!!!! :( - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

When you told him to go eat, did you make a hand-montion towards the bowl? Because I bet he tought you were going to hit him, since apparently you have in the past, and that is why he growled and bit your hand. He is getting to stand up for himself, and you created this in fear and anger towards you by your own actions.

You are asking for help in your subject line - I feel that it is your behaviour the problem, so you need to change.

And it is hard to side with someone who gets drunk on a regular basis and hits their dog. Can't see how we can help, unless you are willing to change your actions and behaviours. And your dog is now standing up for himself, as Jane was saying. If you don't think that you can change, maybe the best thing for him is to be in a different environment where people don't drink so much, and treat him fairly.

There is a lot of bad advice on the internet - if you read something odd, like hitting your dog is good way to make sure they know their place (as you can see, it is not!!), you should run it by the forum people here that have tons of experience and see what they say.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

i think people here have misunderstand me. i never hitted my dog as long as he's been in my home. and no , i didnt knock my dog out yesterday and throwed him on the floor and he wasnt able to move, i don't know were people read this. i acted out of protection because he growled at me and instantly bited my hand and i punched in defence altough the dog just went hiding out under the bed. the dog doesn't have any injuries and is fine without any harm.

somebody here said that it was food protection, i highly doubt it since today during eating his dried food he was cudling with me between bites and i was holding his food bowl to eat the last bit altough he is protective when i feed him meat.

2 things were mentioned wich i think one of them is the reason, 1. that i wasn't the pack leader maybe, but he always obeyes me usualy, 2 is that he is maturing because he's about 1year8months old.

im looking forward for more advice, and i would apriciate if you wouldn't take it against me for punching my dog because a german sheperd bited my hand out of agresion, its basic instinct to protect yourself. im normal.
DarkSmoke is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think anyone is saying you aren't normal, just maybe rethink how to react to that sort of situation. Striking you dog because the dog is REACTING to how you have trained it is unfair.
Has this dog been to classes? Socialized? What is the back round?

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
I don't think anyone is saying you aren't normal, just maybe rethink how to react to that sort of situation. Striking you dog because the dog is REACTING to how you have trained it is unfair.
Has this dog been to classes? Socialized? What is the back round?
the dog is very social, he never been to clases. he's always good with people , and always want to play with everyone with his toys and things like that. he plays with other dogs and wants to even play with dogs that are aggressive against him thats why im so surprised he got agresive all of a suden since this dog doesn't even bark or every showed any sign of aggression. i know i did bad, and im not happy with it, but i would never let a dog bite me/hurt me even tough i love him so much that just imposible for me. thats why im asking here for advice to avoid this happening again.

i always gave my dog a good home, and a good life. always took good care of him and i was never cruel/violent to him. thats why im very woried and i don't wish for this to ever happen again.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well there are a lot of really good experienced people here to help...if you do a search for food aggression a few really good posts should come up. I would start there and see if any of it fits what happened to you.

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
i think people here have misunderstand me. i never hitted my dog as long as he's been in my home. and no , i didnt knock my dog out yesterday and throwed him on the floor and he wasnt able to move, i don't know were people read this. i acted out of protection because he growled at me and instantly bited my hand and i punched in defence altough the dog just went hiding out under the bed. the dog doesn't have any injuries and is fine without any harm.

somebody here said that it was food protection, i highly doubt it since today during eating his dried food he was cudling with me between bites and i was holding his food bowl to eat the last bit altough he is protective when i feed him meat.

2 things were mentioned wich i think one of them is the reason, 1. that i wasn't the pack leader maybe, but he always obeyes me usualy, 2 is that he is maturing because he's about 1year8months old.

im looking forward for more advice, and i would apriciate if you wouldn't take it against me for punching my dog because a german sheperd bited my hand out of agresion, its basic instinct to protect yourself. im normal.
here's why people are "misunderstanding"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSmoke View Post
So, Its been so long since i posted.
Yesterday after work i went out to drink and got home drunk.
I was eating some pork chops and gave rex half of the piece of gras on the outside of the chop. then my girlfriend gave him a bowl of dried food because we didnt have meat, usually he eats raw meat but when we don't have we give him some dried food. When I Feed him meat from my hands its ok , but when i feed him meat in his bowl whoever walks near him he growls. Yesterday it was just dried food, and when i told him "Rex go eat" surprisingly he growled at me and gave me a bad look. i shouted at him, and he growled and bited my hand but didnt do any damage. i was so shocked i punched him in the face and droped him on the floor then he woke up he was gonna growl again and when i stood up he ran away hiding under the bed. i Don't know whats gotten into my dog. he doesn't even attack dogs outside that bark at him he just looks at them without even barking. he is even starting to growl at my GF when she tries to take something from him latly altough he never does that to me he usually obeys me. but growling and biting me cause i point my finger at a bowl of dried food? :S

this dog never showed any signs of aggression but i from yesterday im really starting to thinking that the raw meat does get a dog aggressive.
please anybody can give me some help, what happened? what should i do now? i still didnt talk with him he's just lying around and not moving sleeping right now.
from what you typed, you punched him, he dropped to the floor in a manner that required him to later (at some undetermined amount of time) WAKE up.... if you hit him hard enough to cause that, you not only need to reevaluate your relationship with your dog, but also your ability to handle your drinking.

not sure how often you read this forum, but pretty much anybody can ascertain in a relatively short amount of reading that this forum frowns on that. in a major way. please don't get your britches bound up because we don't like the fact you hit your dog, which YOU yourself said you did in your first post of this thread.

punching a dog in the face when you're drunk is not normal. sorry.

Last edited by StellaSquash; 07-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.
StellaSquash is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Then sorry for my english and the way it sounded, LET ME RE-EXPLAIN IT SO I DONT SOUND LIKE A DOG-HITTING-AGGRESSIVE-UNORMAL-ALCOHOLIC.

The dog growled and instantly BITED my hand. as he bited my hand, out of instinct i punched him in the face and he sliped down on the floor with the hit. as SOON AS HE slipped down on the floor he QUICKLY WOKE up and run away hiding under the bed.

i hope i explained carefully and good english now. sorry again for the misunderstanding. the dog never got knocked out unconciously.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Seems the aggravating factor is alcohol.
Stosh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Drunk or not drunk you should never hit anything. Not another human, not an animal. I am not a big drinker, I have been drunk maybe 3 times. During those times I never laid a hand on anyone or anything. I'm sure the way you were acting made your dog feel uncomfortable and he acted out in a way to protect himself.

My dog is not food aggressive and I can pet him while he eats and I know he'd let me stick my hand in his bowl but why would I do that? He's eating, he's clearly hungry, why would I mess with his food, I would not want someone sticking their hand in my food.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are so many things wrong with the original post that I"m just speechless. Please rehome your dog.
Jax08 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.