My Dog Tried To Attack Me. Help Please!!!! :( - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Member

If you keep hitting your dog, your dog will continue to growl/bite you. Stop hitting your dog! The more you hit him, the more you deserve to get bit!

Chyanne-GSD-3/22/09
Chantell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Darksmoke- It's me Danielle from the reptile forum- I am not shocked to see this post from you buddy The two of us have gone round for round on reptile issues and it occurs to me in Malta people just handle their dogs different. NEVER yell at or hit a dog- NEVER!!! Okay now search on food aggression because it's not uncommon and there are ways to deal with it. I would also research NILIF training because it will reestablish you as dominant in the house without violence. I hope you do these two things and don't blow the advise off- it will really help you and your dog
Zoeys mom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Darksmoke, you use to wrestle with your dog, now he is showing power and doesn't know it isn't ok anymore. Your dog growls and you yell. You get drunk around your dog.
Your dog gets punched to the point of being knocked out. I think you need to step back and analyze how you treat your dog.
I don't blame the dog for growling, he is trying to protect himself and giving you a warning to please back off.
A dog doesn't show aggression because of the raw meat...

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-20-2010 at 07:47 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I cant believe you punched your dog in the face? Yelling and hitting a dog will only make things worse. He will become more aggressive. Please dont hit him anymore and dont raise your voice at him either. If he growls at you he needs to go take a time out in his crate.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

I agree with Jane ^^ above.

And to reiterate, PEOPLE DO NOT PUNCH THEIR DOGS IN THE FACE AND KNOCK THEM OUT! Sorry I had to yell that.

Your dog is a product of what YOU made him, from the way he acted, it doesn't sound like this is the first time you have yelled, punched/hit him.

I also think, as jane said, you need to step back and analyze how you treat your dog. Maybe he'd be better off in a different home with someone who has more knowledge on how to treat animals.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ba1614

I can't see any advice doing any good if you think punching your dog in the face is considered acceptable punishment, hard enough that you drop him no less.
If you're under attack I can understand doing whatever it takes, but that doesn't sound like the case by reading the OP.

If I could offer 1 piece of advice it would be to re-home this dog and wait until you grow up a bit before you take on this kind of responsibility. Someone's going to get hurt and this dog will be the one to suffer the consequence.
ba1614 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I would also consider the fact that you may have caused some serious physical damage to this dog. You punched him and knocked him out and now he's just laying around, not moving?? I agree with the above posts. Find a good home for this dog and get educated before you get another one.
Lexi (Yorkie)~1/24/03
Lilly (Chi)~8/21/08
Tihannah is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
.....Your dog gets punched to the point of being knocked out. I think you need to step back and analyze how you treat your dog.....
I think his girlfriend needs to step back and analyze how he treats his dog.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

I would instinctively reply that you have not been the pack leader in your home for quite some time and that your dog has decided to step up, since you haven't. Small things can reinstate you as leader, but his trust of you may take quite some time. I understand your point of view, but I do not agree with it. You should never try to touch or pet your dog while they are eating, especially if you did not take the time to touch or pet them while eating before. Dogs require leadership. If you have not read the book, Training Your German Shepherd Dog by Dan Rice, I would suggest that you do so. Never punch your dog or hit your dog. It only causes mistrust and puts the dog on the defensive. You have to prove to your dog that you are in control and that all is right in his world. Being drunk and rowdy around him does not encourage that. As another poster stated, crate him or put him in another room when your buddies come over.
KMSlemons is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I agree with Jane ^^ above.

And to reiterate, PEOPLE DO NOT PUNCH THEIR DOGS IN THE FACE AND KNOCK THEM OUT! Sorry I had to yell that.

Your dog is a product of what YOU made him, from the way he acted, it doesn't sound like this is the first time you have yelled, punched/hit him.

I also think, as jane said, you need to step back and analyze how you treat your dog. Maybe he'd be better off in a different home with someone who has more knowledge on how to treat animals.
I agree with that.

It's confusing to our dogs when we act one way when sober, and another when drunk. Irratic and undependable which is unstable for a dog. So they will already be on edge if that's the situation in the house.

Using aggression (punching your dog in the fact and knocking him down) to prevent aggression (growling and nipping) does NOT work/teach/train. It only ADDS to the confusion, irratic situation and STRESS for the dog. So instead of stopping the problem it pretty much assures it will not only happen again, but escalate.

Not cause of the dogs behavior. But because of YOUR behavior and not teaching.

Don't mess with your dogs food. Put it down and let him eat. If you want to start TEACHING then (whenyou are sober) use tricks and training with food rewards FROM YOUR HAND to teach him your hands are good, not threatening any they GIVE food rather than take it away (or punch).

As is mentioned, a good Alpha Pack Leader isn't good cause of force. They are good cause they are dependable, reliable, consistant and FAIR. Good leaders don't do so with force and fear, but with using good sense (sober sense).
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.