Fence charging? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fence charging?

Panzer just recently realized there's a dog next door. The other dog barks all the time and charges the fence. I don't want Panzer to do this, but I have caught him a few times pacing the fence and he suddenly becomes deaf, if the other dog is present! (which isn't all the time) Even when he goes to get his ball, he'll look towards the fence before he comes running back to me.

Sometimes he will run so I can't catch him when he is at the fence. (gets me all irritated). It's only the one dog along that one fence line. It also is our horseshoe pit along that fenceline. Maybe set up a "road block"?

What's a good way to handle this? I hate when dogs do that and I certainly don't want Panzer to become one of those dogs. Also, is this a sign of aggression?

Panzer Vom Valkyre (dob 5/21/09) http://ipanzer.wordpress.com/

Felines: Mulder, Scully, Stinkweed, Rosie and Rascal

At the Bridge:
Bella:09/27/09, Elvis (GSDX):05/17/09, BabyKitty:02/15/09 Brandi (GSD):2008,
cats: Whiskey & Mickie ...and more
rover51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Re: Fence charging?

I am sure the pros will weigh in but my dogs charge the fence all the time. I do not like it so what I finally did was get a plastic bottle from laundry soap, washed it out, put some large rocks in it, and when they are barking like fools at the fence, I give it a shake or two and they stop and come right back to mom Keep in mind tho, this is when they are already doing the crazy, tuned out barking at the fence. Stopping it to start with would have been the wiser thing to do but I didn't know how.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm not an expert, but this is called fence aggression and a couple of my dogs do this. I actually got bit by a foster once trying to 'break them up' not realizing when they are in this state of mind, they can redirect their aggression on someone or another dog on the same side of the fence. I've had a really tough time with it, but have started to make a little headway with some exceptional smelly treats and a loud whistle when there are no dogs on the other side of the fence and gradually getting a couple of them to respond to me and the whistle/treats when the other dogs are there.

Kaspar-10 yr WGSD
Nixie-8 yr GSD
Ayden-9 yr LH GSD
Krinkles
Mr. Greenjeans (at the bridge)
lsoilm1936 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have neighbors that have several dogs that do this.......It has taken a while, but basically. I have taught her..........that fence is mine! She is not 100% yet, but for the most part, stays several feet off the fence now. All I do, when I see her heading that way is give her the leave it command, if she doesnt hear me because she has already zero'd in, I physically block her from the fence and push her back with my body. If you have a long line, use it to keep him about 3 feet off the fence line. Correct him if he crosses the invisible line, (I just use ah-ah) and reward him greatly when he recognizes it! I think it can develop into aggression if not addressed, but I do believe that once he realizes that you have patrol duty of that fence line, and he doesnt......he will go on about his business.

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

StGeorgeK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

At first we were able to keep control of things and he would ignore the other dog, etc. But then I think my mistake was letting him run around while I was either in another part of the yard or in the house where I couldn't see exactly what he was doing. Hopefully we can nip this before it's too late.

Panzer Vom Valkyre (dob 5/21/09) http://ipanzer.wordpress.com/

Felines: Mulder, Scully, Stinkweed, Rosie and Rascal

At the Bridge:
Bella:09/27/09, Elvis (GSDX):05/17/09, BabyKitty:02/15/09 Brandi (GSD):2008,
cats: Whiskey & Mickie ...and more
rover51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

get yourself some empty soda cans, rinse them out, put about 8 marbles in each can, tape the top closed, you`ll need about 5 to 10 cans depending how stubborn your pup is, and everytime the pup charges the fence, throw a can at him, and a stern NO, it wont hurt the dog, he`ll think you lost your mind, I would bet he`ll stop charging after 3 cans, also works for the "no reason to bark", after a while all you`ll have to do is shake the can or mention "I`m gonna get Mr. can" he`ll stop

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a similar situation here except that it's a wall and involves people walking by and people walking their dogs.

As you can see from the picture my property is below street level on that side. The effect when people walk by is that they are above you.

Lila, at her current size, can stick her head above the lowest part of that wall which is 4 feet and located around the corner to the right.

She barks and charges... and jumps. This looks to me to be a very serious issue and I'm also looking for ways to deal with it. When we're in the house and she's outside then the first we know of a passerby is her barking. By then she's at the wall and jumping and probably scaring the pineapple out of some people.

I have used the can with the coins in the past but any other advice beside don't leave her in the yard unattended would be welcome.

Thanks for raising this topic, 5150.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My backyard neighbors used to have a pitbull/great dane puppy - adorable pup but they never told the dog NO don't go stand there barking at those german shepherds. On the few times they did bother, there was much swearing and smacking of their pup.

Morgan stopped barking back after I told her no repeatedly. Otto would listen but I turned my back on him, the other dog would bark at him then he'd go right back over there.

I took a section of cheap coated wire fence and set it back about 18" from my fence. Otto could jump over the fence but he couldn't get nose to nose with the other dog. He'd run back and forth getting frustrated until he eventually learned there was nothing doing so he stopped trying.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

keep using the can, use marbles, they make more noise, but get more of them and keep throwing till she stops, you may need 10 cans or more, she will stop

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Love your dogs' names. They all sound like Lila's pseudonyms.

LOL
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.