German Shepherds Forum banner

BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Chief

37K views 289 replies 79 participants last post by  JakodaCD OA 
#1 ·
Trying to keep my composure here, I cannot believe what just happened..

My boyfriend came home from work about 30 minutes ago. Chief was on the floor and just woke up from sleeping because Todd called him to take him outside. Chief refused and hopped up in bed and curled up behind me as he sometimes does. Normally Todd will say 'Let's go Chief!" again and he will follow him to the door. Well this time Todd reached for his collar to pull him down, not in a mean or rude way or anything, and Chief lunged at him aggressively and bit his face. Todd has a big gash in his cheek and across the bottom of his chin. He straight up with no warning lunged and put gashes in his face!! He just left for the minor emergency clinic to get it cleaned up, it is nasty and he said very painful. Omg I didn't even know what to say or do, I am completely shocked and I feel absolutely horrible. There was so much blood on his face and on the bathroom sink and floor. Now Chief is super attached to me but he has never shown any aggression to Todd. He has started to bond with him really well and would often cuddle with him in the bed and on the couch, something he would never do even with me in the beginning. I cannot believe he did this to Todd. I do not and cannot have this happen again. I love my dog to death but now I don't doubt he would act this way towards ANYone to "protect" me. This deeply concerns since it has hit close to home. I know this is Todd's fault since he is the one that went to move Chief but IMO this should NEVER happen, Chief should not act that way towards him. I am so thankful he did not get his eye. I mean I am just at a loss, this has never happened before? What do I do? Does Chief need to be re-homed, can he be trusted to a new home unless it was a single person? He apparently bonds to one person. He obviously has a pretty serious bite history now and that would be a big liability to put him up for adoption. I am really scared and worried. Todd totally kept his cool and didn't react to Chief but I could tell he was extremely upset, [censored], angry, etc. I am VERY upset about thinking of euthanasia and wonder if that is overreacting but tell me what should I do, I need some insight PLEASE. I know Todd is going to have a very different view of Chief now, and i dont blame him, but now I worry that he will direct his frustrations and anger onto me because of what my dog did and I don't want it to break our relationship apart, we are planning on purchasing a home together in May, he's not just a guy I could easily say goodbye to.

OMG

See less See more
#2 ·
How shocking, must have been so horrible to go thru.

Good news is it sounds like generally you dog's temperament is good, so you can fix this.

Bad news is, it means changing how you manage your dog and I bet you will have BIG troubles with this. You have to change Chief's world and where he thinks his position is in it. Because YOU aren't the Queen in the House. Clearly your boyfriend isn't even a beloved servant.

CHIEF IS KING! He sleeps in the King bed, allows you to share (lucky you) and your boyfriend...................not so much.

No more sleeping on the bed or on the furniture with you for at least the next YEAR or so (not few days, YEAR). It's not his bed to guard (bad news for you, he wasn't being protective of YOU, you weren't in any danger from the boyfriend, he was guarding THE BED).

Easiest thing is to change up bedtime. Hoping he's crate trained cause that always our best management tool. Keep the crate in the bedroom, have a new bedtime routine that is 'treat in crate, dog in crate, close crate door' and EVERYONE goes to sleep.

How many miles of exercise is your dog getting a week. OFF leash and real exercise?

How many dog class sessions have you attended? THis isn't about getting the perfect 'sit'. It's about giving we humans the skills to learn to be the LEADER in our dogs lives so they look to us, get guidance from us, and LISTEN to us. Not just react and bite cause they are comfy and don't want to move when asked to.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT YELLING AND CORRECTIONS AND BEING ALPHA!!!!

I have to repeat that again. For a dog that has learned to up to aggression to get it's own way (and has learned that works) coming down like a load of bricks will NOT teach the smart and consistant LEADERSHIP role we need to have in our dogs lives. A good leader is followed because of respect NOT fear.

Here's some sites to read up on:

http://www.k9aggression.com/Aggression/aggression_main.html

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/1dbaggression.php

This is a good article explaining why the old macho myth of 'Alpha' with our dogs is outdated:

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001/macho.htm

Exercise, training, managing the home, rules rules rules and boundaries!!!

#4 ·
Slow down.... take a deep bretah and let it out again.....

Can understand you being upset and you are right this should not have happened. ANd I have to disagree with you on this - How is Todd at fault? He gave the dog a command, the dog did not heed it, he repeated himself and then went to enforce it. Unless Chief has a loose screw this is fixable. This sounds like a brat teen that did not want to leave his throne.

I would cease allowing Chief in the bed. Provide him a bed of his own next to your bed. Every time he tries to get on the bed or gets on the bed, firmly remind him "off". You can either toss a treat on the floor to lure and reward him getting off or keep a leash on him that you can pick up to guide him off. Do not get into a confrontation that just winds him up and encourages him to protect his space, you will lose. And BTW it ain't his space. Every inch of your home is your space.

I would start learn to earn or NILIF if you are not already. He works for every bit of attention he gets from you and Todd.

Join an obedience class and start going and working at home with him.

Todd needs to hand feed him his meals as well.

I hope Todd is okay and heals quickly. By going to urgent care he has now reported a dog bite. I hope this does not label Chief or put him on the radar as a potential aggressive dog.

#5 ·
Deep breaths.

I think in hindsight you can see that Chief was set up to fail. Most of us do not do this knowingly! We do it and then we go OH CRAP! Should he have reacted that way? No, absolutely not, but we don't know the reason for it.

That is what I try to assess with a dog who has bitten. What is the cause? Are they predictable? If they are predictable, are their triggers known and can they be either removed or dealt with in a safe way?

I am not going to make excuses for Chief but I think you can get through this. You can see a vet to assess pain or any physical issues. You can see a good behaviorist, I bet there are some through the rescue who are trusted and good. Then you can all get into some good, positive based training. You can do NILIF. You can make sure Chief is not on the furniture without your say so. Chief loses a lot of privileges here but can gain some back.

He may be a dog who has to have things in terms of leadership black and white. Not cold and hard, just clear. He may not be a cuddle buddy because that may confuse him. He cannot assume a person is mine, but that is up to you to make clear to him.

He is a German Shepherd. They are wonderfully obedient and intelligent companions. With that comes the idea that we have to be thinkers as well.

I believe once you think this all through you will see that Chief is relying on you to be the people you need to be to have a happy GSD, and that you can do that.

So-
1. Vet, assess pain
2. Behaviorist
3. Training classes for all 3 of you
4. NILIF on-going (Ilsa has been on NILIF for 4.5 years now!)
5. No furniture privileges

Sometimes when dogs do things, they do them because they think that they are allowed to. We would never imagine allowing that, but they think differently than we do.

I am very hopeful that once Chief and you all come to a clear and positive understanding of your relationships together you will be able to put this experience in perspective. Right now, awful and scary, eventually, a learning time.

#6 ·
Maggie,

Honestly I understand the possessive/resource guarding thing but I do not think he was guarding the bed and here is one situation involving my brother's friend that tells me why. I take Chief to my parents house every now and then with me to visit. At times I have left him there to go get some food or go out. One of my brother's friends comes over a lot and has always gotten along famously with Chief and would play with him when I was out. One day I was at their house sitting at the computer and Chief was lying down on the floor not too far from me just relaxing. My brother's friend walked in the house and Chief immediately jumped up and ran barking aggressively up to him and stopped right at his pants, but didn't bite. He just stood there barking in his face. Chief had to be crated anytime I was over there with him after that. He would never do that if I wasn't there. When I say this dog is attached to me, I mean he is attached to me. If he is out of my sight he freaks out and has to sniff every corner and search for me, he gets tunnel vision. I don't think Chief owns me in his eyes, I just think he is HIGHLY protective. I can look him in the eye and he will roll over, I do have control over him. I practice NILIF and all of that. Chief was bonded to his foster mom like he is with me, he glues himself to one person. I posted on here back in the summer when I moved in with my boyfriend on how to get Chief to listen to him and the tips and advice I got really helped, but Chief hasn't bonded to Todd like he has with me, or anyone else for that matter and I don't think he will as long as I'm his owner.

Chief isn't a high active or driven dog. He is an older rescue dog and he mostly just lays around. He is very quiet in the apartment and is never demanding. He is one of the calmest and laid-back dogs I know. A couple walks a day is all he needs, so I know this isn't an exercise issue. I have never attended formal obedience classes with him because he was already trained when I adopted him but I have worked obedience extensively with him when I first adopted him and over time. I used to take him to work with me and would do OB commands with him for a good 30-40 minutes every morning. He is not an out of control dog in the least bit and he listens to me very well.

#7 ·
Agree with all the above and want to share my experience
Hawkeye was a foster I had last year at this time. Not sure of his age, but about 1 yr old. He was neutered a couple weeks before he came to me.
He formed a really strong bond with me, and would bark at my DH and son when they entered the house or when my son came downstairs. We tried to work on it with them throwing treats, etc. I did use NILIF with him. I had him for 9 weeks.
He was allowed in the bedroom, but not on the bed. One night I had just gone to bed, Hawke was on the floor next to me. DH came in and sat on the bed with his back to us, and Hawkeye jumped over the bed and nailed him in the back. Not provocation or warning.
I had to send him back to the former foster the next morning. It was never resolved(he never was re-evaluated) he was adopted out 2 weeks later, everyone at the SPCA thought it was my fault and that he was resource guarding me.
Broke my heart( I really wanted to adopt him, but he didn't like the guys in my house) and I wonder how he is managing in his home that has a DH and 16 yr son. I wasn't able to have contact with the new adopters, either.

I hope Chief and your DH can find a good relationship again.
I'm sure your DH will have some negative feelings for him after this has happened and it will be felt by Chief.

#8 ·
This is why it would be so important to have him seen by vet, behaviorist, trainer.

We can't see him so it is hard for us to say what causes the behavior.

I see the second instance as a potential startle response.

Just because a dog is bonded to one person (I have Chow mixes so totally get that-they just don't act all gooby like a GSD when I am not around
) doesn't mean that the expectations in terms of behavior change. Not in bonding- I know they won't totally because they are one person dogs, but my general expectations are the same, they get it, and they act appropriately (or if they don't/can't/won't I work around it).

Again, not discounting the OMG of this situation at all just saying having real life people looking at it in the next couple of weeks will help you tons.

#9 ·
What a scary situation! I agree that this is a definite resource guard. I skimmed through the thread and saw that NILIF and lifestyle changes were recommended which I second/third/fourth.
I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I would do the following AFTER meeting with a vet/qualified behaviorist:

1) Chief needs to be bumped down to "ensign" and lose ALL access privileges to the bedroom. His paws no longer set foot in the bedroom. Ever. Same with the couch. Any furniture is now completely off-limits. I know it was suggested to just keep him off the bed, but I say it sends a clearer message if there are whole, entire ROOMS of the house where you and Boyfriend have access but Chief and Zelda do not. Put up a baby gate so they can still see you, but they cannot enter. And yes, I think I would treat both dogs the same just to avoid pack dynamic upset amongst them.

2) Nobody touches Chief unless he sits or downs first! If he wants to be petted, make him sit first. If he wants to play, sit first. Wants to go inside or outside, sit first. Put on a leash, sit first. That's hardcore NILIF.

3) Boyfriend should feed Chief's meals as training sessions. This is easier if you do kibble but can be done if you do raw. Basically, BF prepares Chief's meal, then instead of putting down the bowl, he has Chief do basic OB in exchange for small handfuls of food. About halfway through the meal BF can release Chief to the rest of the meal after a very nicely done OB command, but this REALLY helps drill the point down that "Thou shalt not eat without MY graces."

4) If Chief is lying down in the floor in the way (not in a corner or by a wall), make him move, especially BF. Chief no longer has any right to lay anywhere he wants and expect peace. If he is in his own bed or off to the side, that's perfectly fine but sprawled out in the middle of the room, no way. He can move his furry behind because the humans control the movements in the room.

5) What is Chief's favorite game? If he likes to tug, have BF play tug with Chief and work on teaching a solid release command and also downing in between tug sessions. This is fun, bonding, and VERY good obedience/control building. Same thing with fetch- Chief must release the ball on command and perform some obedience before the ball is thrown.

6) Would your BF be willing to go through a basic obedience class with Chief? This can really help strengthen a bond and build a partnership.

Keep us posted. I
Chief so much and am very interesting in how things progress.

#11 ·
I am going to say what no one else here seems to be willing to say. Not only is this not Todd's fault, it's yours. This dog didn't just out of the blue leap up and bite Todd. and when he did, I see you didn't mention that you let the dog know what he did was wrong, which just reinforced to the dog that he was right.

He is resouce guarding and you are his resource. You have said how you repeatedly let him get away with inappropriate aggression with your brother's friend and I will bet that Chief has been showing increasing aggression to your boyfriend that you either didn't recognize as aggression or you did and just didn't do anything about it. As you said, he's your dog and you think he's being protective and up to now you probably liked it and unknowingly encouraged it.

I agree with the others that you need to change a lot of things with this dog, but you need to change what you are doing even more.

#12 ·
Re: BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Ch

I will be completely honest here. Elaine I was still pretty much asleep when this all happened. I did immediately make him get off the bed after the incident, I did not verbally correct him though as I was just taken completely off guard, dumbfounded, baffled, shellshocked, etc. By the time I took everything in it would have been too late to correct him. I followed Todd to the bathroom and stood there in silence next to him as he was bleeding in the sink. Chief walked up to him and lightly touched his nose to his hand where there was blood and had the look in his eyes like he knew he did something wrong. Todd left and Chief went into a corner and curled up. His crate is currently being occupied by our new foster dog who I can't leave to just run around freely and to his own devices just yet.

I haven't repeatedly let him get away with aggression to the friend. I stated that when I was not at the house, Chief and my brother's friend played and got along great. It was that one time I happened to be at the house with chief when the friend came over and Chief got protective over me. The next couple times I was over there with Chief when the friend showed up I had Chief crated to avoid that from happening again(and he would bark in the crate at the friend and I would correct him). I don't think it's cool, funny, or cute at all when a dog is protecting me from friends/family who are not threats. Chief has never shown any aggression towards Todd. In fact he loves to give him kisses and will roll over for him. Todd has fed him plenty of times and has worked OB with him. They have formed a good relationship but Chief is definitely my dog.

#14 ·

Also, something you need to be aware of- this may be reported to the Health Dept and Chief may now have an official bite record. Depending on your area, he might need to be registered as a "dangerous dog." I am
that this is not the case, but be aware so you don't get thrown off guard if they lay this on you.

If you don't have enough crates for every dog, given this situation you really need to purchase another crate or maybe even bow out of fostering for now. We only see snippets of your life so no one can make a good recommendation but you might need to dedicate all your resources to your own dogs.

#15 ·
Quote:but I do not think he was guarding the bed
He wasn't guarding at all, as far as a 'protection' thing.

You or the bed.

RESOURCE guarding is different and I'd agree with that. He was telling your boyfriend it was his (the dog's) bed. He didn't want to move from HIS bed. And he certainly wasn't going to allow your boyfriend to be the boss of him and tell him what to do.

This was NOT protection behavior.

This was your dog NOT knowing his role and position in the house. This WAS the dog TELLING your boyfriend to knock it off and let him alone.

IF YOU want your dog to be in charge. And if you WANT your dog to be able to know it's HIS decision where he wants to be, when. Then you can continue to make excuses and blame your boyfriend.

I would read up on those sites I posted to look at aggressions.

The situation at SOMEONE else's home with someone else involved is DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you see being in someone else's home, in a completely different setup, the same as YOUR home and YOUR bed with YOUR boyfriend................then you are NOT going to be able to get a handle on this.

In both, your dog reacted all on his own with no leadership or guidance from YOU.

But your home situation is from your dog thinking they have the lead role in the house and can take charge. The trigger was your boyfriend having the GALL to think he could remove the dog from THE DOGS bed.

Quote:It was that one time I happened to be at the house with chief when the friend came over and Chief got protective over me.
That's not 'real' protection. The friend wasn't doing anything!!!!! And if YOU said it was ok, that should have (if your dog knew you were the leader) assured your dog and had him calm. The only similiarity being that AGAIN he didn't look to YOU for guidance or leadership but just reacted. But it would appear the trigger was from fear (or something else).

EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Walks and exercise are NOT just about fatigue. But about YOU being out and about with your dog and YOU are in a leadership role to guide him thru the walk. So he looks to YOU gets guidance from YOU and learns that you are in charge and he doesn't have to take charge and react if YOU are calm and in control.

Dog classes are the same! Our dogs learn to look to us, learn from us, not have sudden fear reactions cause they know that YOU are in charge and control and will take over. They learn to NOT bark, NOT charge, listen and learn and behave because they don't have to keep the scary away.

I don't think your dog is a disobedient and out of control dog. I do not think that GENERALLY he's blowing you off and taking the leadership role when he's uncertain or wants his own way.

What I do think is that he humors you and generally listens/obeys cause it's easier and why not?

But when the crap hits the fan (in his mind, not reality) you are like an annoying gnat in his ear. I've got it mom, stay behind and shut up cause I will bite/bark/take charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said before. Classes aren't about 'obedience' per say. I've raised/trained 4 dogs and they darn well know their commmands to before I start classes. But when I go to classes (and I always will and BTW have NO dogs that have bit anyone in my house ) they seem to go selectively deaf in a new situation with new dogs/people/places.

Suddenly my perfectly trained dogs lose their minds and don't listen to me at all. UNTIL they learn to in class, in the world, etc.

#16 ·

Sounds to me like a fear issue rather than a dominance/protection issue. The fact that he curled up behind you doesn't sound like he was protecting your or trying to be dominant, sounds like he was hoping you'd protect him.

Definitely go see a behaviorist.

#17 ·

I was thinking about the fear thing too.

NILIF is a big relief to the dogs, but you have to really be the leader all the time. So that the dog looks to you, like said above, for everything before acting. Because they know you will handle it.

Kind of like a teacher. The good teachers have the classrooms where kids thrive, and IF something happens, if they get bopped on the head with a lunchbox, they don't hit the kid back that did it, they look at the teacher, and the teacher steps in. Whew, what a relief for those kids that they don't have a Lord of the Flies classroom.

That's what our dogs want. I dropped out of one obedience class with Bella because it was heading toward Rally. I am not good with left-right, line dance type things and instead of leading her, I was off kilter too, and it was freaking her the heck out!

So it takes a lot of thought of what you are communicating to your dog, and a dog who is afraid needs to be handled with confidence and assurance, and never be given the pressure of being in charge.

Check out the Yahoo shy k9 site. A dog can think they are in charge and still be fearful. Creates a mess!

All those things in the list I mentioned above, what MRL and others are saying, the more I think of it, the more important I think they are.

#19 ·

I have to agree with MaggieRoseLee on this one. Sounds to me like Chief thinks he is large and in charge. I think it is very important to bring him back to reality and that is going to mean some serious world shaking! The advice MRL gave you, IMO is sound. I also think that finding a good behaviorist will also help you with some "hands on" work, advice, and training.

#20 ·

Jean and MaggieRoseLee have given you ideal advice.

Deeeeep breaths! Yes, this is a serious issue. But, this is something that can be worked on.

Please listen to what folks are saying-- Chief was not protective of you in either situation. He was "large and in charge." Time to change his thinking and demote your dog!

Chief needs:

NILIF
Vet check
Behaviorist visit
Obedience classes
WAY more excersise-- even if he is a blob around the house
Zero furniture privilages
Zero praise, treats, eye contact, cuddles-- unless he WORKS for them.

Does that sound harsh? It does. Give him a chance to WORK for those things. Was the sit slow? No cookie/praise/petting for that, let him do it again, and better. Time to raise the bar for this dog. job well done.

You're not his resource to guard. You're going to be more his leader that he's had before-- and he will LOVE it. Not right away, he'll be surprised by the change. But, he can r-e-l-a-x under a calm, assertive, strong leader.

Yup, a CALM leader. This was a wake-up call, but that's okay. You have the resources and tools, both without and within yourself, to rise to become that calm, confident leader who guides him. You can do this for Chief!

#21 ·

Originally Posted By: MustLoveGSDsTodd left and Chief went into a corner and curled up. His crate is currently being occupied by our new foster dog who I can't leave to just run around freely and to his own devices just yet.
Do you think this has anything to do with his aggression? He just got kicked out of his bed, and now didnt want to loose another bed? Just throwing out ideas...............Some really good feedback already and all I had to add was this. Good luck and I know you must be devastated.

#22 ·

Im sooo sorry this happened! Great advise all given above me.
First thing I would go to the vet with him.

How old is Chief?
He must be taught (maybe too late now) that biting to the face is completly unaccepetable.
My dog would mouth my hands but NEVER EVER to put his teeth on my face.
WOW. Im so sorry, hope your bf is ok.

#23 ·

how is your boyfriend this morning?

a couple things that no one else touched on yet.
when Chief came into the bathroom while you were there with your BF, he wasn't knowing he did something wrong. He was a dominate dog coming to tell his subjects "buck up, I didn't hurt you"

Definitely this was NOT your boyfriend's fault. Any person who lives in the house should have no problem making the dog move. The fact that Chief is confident enough in his ranking to hand out discipline speaks volumes about how he views your BF.

So, do what everyone says. Vet Check ASAP, and NILF NILF NILF. Chief isn't going to like it, especially if he is a naturally dominant dog. I wonder if you are unknowingly sending out vibes that Chief outranks your BF? just something that popped into my mind since you blame him for what happened rather than the dog?

#24 ·

You got an excellent advice. I'll add my view on this and I may be off, of course, since I can only speculate based on what you said now and in your previous posts.

Originally Posted By: MustLoveGSDsChief isn't a high active or driven dog. He is an older rescue dog and he mostly just lays around. He is very quiet in the apartment and is never demanding. He is one of the calmest and laid-back dogs I know. A couple walks a day is all he needs, so I know this isn't an exercise issue.
This is your mistake right here in assessing your dog. Your dog does have drive, just not a prey drive, and his calmness in the apartment is not a lack of drive or no need for a good run but an off switch. He does need an exercise and a couple walks don't do it for him.

The moment I saw a picture of Chief I told myself that he looked like a copy of my dog. After you mentioned lack of drive I told myself, yeah, it's a DDR probably. Then I saw him on the beds and couches and thought again 'well, this dog definitely has a different temperament if they allow him to do that'. It turns out he doesn't have a different temperament, his drives are not prey but defense and fight, and his personality is strong. He was underestimated.

I do not see any fear in him. I see a confident dog that corrected your husband. You do need to channel his drives into the right activity and teach him rules. Love doesn't mean respect and Chief only demands respect at this moment, and he doesn't respect you.

#25 ·

Great advice above! I just want to add something in regards to this.

Quote:Chief walked up to him and lightly touched his nose to his hand where there was blood and had the look in his eyes like he knew he did something wrong.
Once upon a time, I took in a rescue who'd been abused by a woman. My DH fell in love with this dog and we decided to keep him.

HE hadn't been with us long the first time he bit me. He was taking a nap under the kitchen table. I walked in the room, when he came out from under the table, I said hi to him and offered both my hands to him sniff (and so he would see I didn't have anything to beat him with). I didn't go over to him, he came to me, I didn't touch him. He bit me square on both thumbs. I screamed, Bobby came in and the dog did the same thing Chief did, seemed to understand he did something wrong and acted sorry. The second time he bit me was a very similar situation... so don't let Chief fool you that he's sorry about biting your BF.

#26 ·

Im not sure what to tell you except I have been there done that. My GSD, now deceased:( nailed my husband, always on the hand 3X. The first time, I was sleeping in the bedroom with the door closed, hubby said it was like he was guarding me. He came out of the bathroom and S jumped up and grabbed him by the hand HARD NO STITCHES but it hurt. I really cant remember the 2 other times. I think it was so painful to me that my dog would do this and now that he died, Ive kind of put it out of my mind. My DH hadnt always lived here, in fact he lived in another State for 2 yrs......I refuse to play dog psychologist anymore, some are just quirky. After the first bite, I told hubby he would be feeding him from now on, etc had his Thyroidchecked *normal* and it still happened twice again.
Im just not sure what to tell you. It was a quirky thing. One thing my DH learned, he would not reach for Sash and I told him: do not ever corner him, he gets weird. But he really did seem to be a one person dog. I never could figure it out. He also seemed jealous of my grown son. He growled at him one night and I really let him have it. (we were just standing at the stove looking at something I was cooking) I DO think dogs get jealous so, try the NILF, he does need to rethink his role in the house but it isnt easy.
Otherwise, to me he was the perfect dog, he had so many good qualities and like your GSD wasnt demanding. He was happy to lay around on sofa during the day and go out back and chase his tennis balls until he was ready to drop. lol There were only 2 options for me: euthanasia or keep him. I kept him til the end.
I know of a dog right now in a rescue who also bonds closely to only one owner....they are trying to find a special home for him.
Good luck, I know how upsetting this is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.