German Shepherds Forum banner

BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Chief

37K views 289 replies 79 participants last post by  JakodaCD OA 
#1 ·
Trying to keep my composure here, I cannot believe what just happened..

My boyfriend came home from work about 30 minutes ago. Chief was on the floor and just woke up from sleeping because Todd called him to take him outside. Chief refused and hopped up in bed and curled up behind me as he sometimes does. Normally Todd will say 'Let's go Chief!" again and he will follow him to the door. Well this time Todd reached for his collar to pull him down, not in a mean or rude way or anything, and Chief lunged at him aggressively and bit his face. Todd has a big gash in his cheek and across the bottom of his chin. He straight up with no warning lunged and put gashes in his face!! He just left for the minor emergency clinic to get it cleaned up, it is nasty and he said very painful. Omg I didn't even know what to say or do, I am completely shocked and I feel absolutely horrible. There was so much blood on his face and on the bathroom sink and floor. Now Chief is super attached to me but he has never shown any aggression to Todd. He has started to bond with him really well and would often cuddle with him in the bed and on the couch, something he would never do even with me in the beginning. I cannot believe he did this to Todd. I do not and cannot have this happen again. I love my dog to death but now I don't doubt he would act this way towards ANYone to "protect" me. This deeply concerns since it has hit close to home. I know this is Todd's fault since he is the one that went to move Chief but IMO this should NEVER happen, Chief should not act that way towards him. I am so thankful he did not get his eye. I mean I am just at a loss, this has never happened before? What do I do? Does Chief need to be re-homed, can he be trusted to a new home unless it was a single person? He apparently bonds to one person. He obviously has a pretty serious bite history now and that would be a big liability to put him up for adoption. I am really scared and worried. Todd totally kept his cool and didn't react to Chief but I could tell he was extremely upset, [censored], angry, etc. I am VERY upset about thinking of euthanasia and wonder if that is overreacting but tell me what should I do, I need some insight PLEASE. I know Todd is going to have a very different view of Chief now, and i dont blame him, but now I worry that he will direct his frustrations and anger onto me because of what my dog did and I don't want it to break our relationship apart, we are planning on purchasing a home together in May, he's not just a guy I could easily say goodbye to.

OMG

See less See more
#102 ·
Re: BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Ch

I actually think that it's ok to feel bad and even worse because this situation has to be remembered and never repeated again. The dog's life is at stake, nothing to be so cheerful about. I am not sure but I do not believe that rescues adopt out dogs with the history of bites.

It the BF is afraid of big dogs than there should be no such dogs in the house no matter how good the OP is with the dogs. That would mean showing respect to Todd, not getting rid of the dog post factum and even without a vet check or evaluation. On the side note, I don't remember that Todd wanted Chief to leave, he's actually was very nice and protected his dog at the doctor's.

For those who don't have a doubt with what has to be done with the dog, I wonder if you would schedule a trip to the vet to put down your own dogs immediately if a similar situation happened?

#103 ·

How about we wait until Chief has a full medical work up before condemning him to death? There are quite a few dogs on here who have become suddenly aggressive and when their owners had blood work done they found a thyroid or other health problem.

I understand that she has quite a bit of rescue experience and she keeps saying it is completely out of character for Chief as he is a laid back, mellow dog, loves Todd, etc. All of that means something is going on with Chief! Please, everyone (and I realize, OP, that you are trying to get him help), let's not write off this dog without giving him a fair chance!

Something caused this to happen and hopefully the rescue will work to figure out what's going on with Chief. Just b/c he hasn't reacted to fosters in the past doesn't mean this one is bugging him on some level. My example of Chama was that she had had many fosters, temp house guests, etc. but at some point she just had had enough and although she directed no aggression towards the dog in the house she redirected towards other dogs.

#104 ·

wow. I love dogs. I love my dogs more than words, but if Paige bit me in the face I don't know if I would love her THAT much anymore. I never understood how my clients LOOOOVED their dog so much after so many nasty bites. the things I read here sometimes-"it's not that bad" "he could have attacked" are unacceptable. Dogs are not to be liabilities, period. What if that dog bit a beautiful little girl instead of a big strong guy? Frankly "Chief" is lucky to be alive right now. I see that picture and I imagine my daughter's flawless face and what I would have done to Chief if he did that to her. They would probably be a justifiable homocide.

#106 ·

Wow...

Yes, we could send the Doberman to another foster home.

Yes, we could work hardcore NILIF with Chief.

Yes, Todd and Chief could attend an obedience class and we could all start from scratch again with Chief and our relationships with him.

Does that change the fact that Todd has 3 good-sized puncture wounds on his face from a dog he loved and trusted and his emotional scarring from the whole ordeal?

No. If those of you who are apparently very comfortable with keeping a dog that has bitten you on the face, by all means lets arrange a transport and I will gladly re-home Chief to your family. Todd isn't afraid of big dogs, that is such an asinine remark. He is afraid of a dog that sunk his teeth into his face. Hey, I've worked as a bather before and I can tell you I've even been afraid of little 10 lb dogs who wanted to rip my head off and are so bad I couldn't even get a muzzle on them!

#107 ·

I've stayed out of this conversation because i really didn't have anything to add but now I have a couple of questions...

First, I'm not going to judge anyone for rehoming an animal under these circumstances. However, and I'm taking into consideration your experience with dogs, what are you going to change with future dogs to not have this happen again.

You dont' know what a 'velcro' dog is until you've had a doberman. These dogs are bred for personal protection. That is their only job. You have to set the ground rules with this puppy NOW, not later. And it's entirely possible for the puppy to get attached to one person and have another bite incident.

Second, if you rehome Chief how is Todd going to get over his fear? Would it be possible for you both to work with Chief, not only for Todd's sake, but also to help Chief transition into his new home?

Neither of these questions are meant to bash you or question your decision. But it is something for you to think about.

#108 ·

Originally Posted By: MustLoveGSDs... If those of you who are apparently very comfortable with keeping a dog that has bitten you on the face, by all means lets arrange a transport and I will gladly re-home Chief to your family.
If a dog that I raised bit me in my face or anywhere else, I would take full responsibility and certainly would not gladly arrange transport and gladly re-home my dog to a stranger from an internet forum within days after the incident.

I would spend a lot of time and efforts to understand what went wrong and if there is a fix. I would work with my dog to overcome the problem, and after the dog is rehabilitated I may rehome the dog in case me or someone in my family would keep resenting the dog. We do need to take into consideration everyone we live with, animals and humans, and work on finding the best solution possible.

But if after all I would still believe that my dog is unstable and dangerous I would be with my dog when he's put to sleep. I would not want someone else be hurt by my dog by sending him to another home, and I would also not want my dog to die among strangers. Then I would be left with a guilt for failing my dog, and would try very hard not to find myself in that position again.

Because I love my dog, MustLoveGSDs.

#284 ·
If a dog that I raised bit me in my face or anywhere else, I would take full responsibility and certainly would not gladly arrange transport and gladly re-home my dog to a stranger from an internet forum within days after the incident.

I would spend a lot of time and efforts to understand what went wrong and if there is a fix. I would work with my dog to overcome the problem, and after the dog is rehabilitated I may rehome the dog in case me or someone in my family would keep resenting the dog. We do need to take into consideration everyone we live with, animals and humans, and work on finding the best solution possible.

But if after all I would still believe that my dog is unstable and dangerous I would be with my dog when he's put to sleep. I would not want someone else be hurt by my dog by sending him to another home, and I would also not want my dog to die among strangers. Then I would be left with a guilt for failing my dog, and would try very hard not to find myself in that position again.

Because I love my dog, MustLoveGSDs.
How things have changed.

Where I grew up (in Irish countryside) a dog biting a human (especially a family member) was the end of the dog. My dad took one of his favorite (working) dogs out and shot him after he bit his young niece in the face. That was the way it was back then (30 years ago).

#109 ·

Jax, I fully understand what we are getting into with the Doberman. This was not an on the spur decision. Aside from my interaction and volunteer work with Dobes, we have researched and done our homework extensively on the breed. Todd and I have already talked extensively with the trainer who worked with him(she loves, owns, and competes with the breed herself) and if the adoption goes through then we will be taking classes with her. We personally like the velcro trait. We've definitely already gotten many famous nose pokes from the foster dude. What I will be doing differently is never allowing this dog on our furniture, BOTH of us working together to set clear boundaries and both of us handling the dog and working obedience, both doing the feeding everyday(one in am and the other in pm). I feel we've got a better hold on the situation since this dog is brand new to both of us. Right now we are working hardcore on training and rules and he doesn't have many freedoms. He is not allowed any affection/attention from us unless it is on our terms. I understand the importance of setting a good, solid foundation. Even if he does bond more to one of us than the other, we will be working toward equally earning his respect and trust so a bite or any fear of us handling him does not occur.

Todd only has a fear of Chief, not other dogs. Zelda and the foster can give him kisses and it's not like he shys away or anything. I will do what I have to to help Chief get into a new home. I am keeping him out of Todd's way but he is in no way being mistreated. There is a big behind the scenes thing involving this situation that REALLY sucks, has nothing to do with us or Chief but involves the rescue and I can't say it publicly, so lets just say I have my work cut out for me in finding this boy a place to go and a few other fellow rescue friends are trying to help me out and come up with ideas.

#110 ·

Ok GSD0, excuse my tone but do you honestly think I don't give a [censored] where Chief ends up? I was one of the more hardcore people on the adoption committee with the GSD rescue and I motioned to deny a LOT of people because they rubbed me the wrong way. I would never be able to live with myself if Chief ended up with someone who abused him or was neglectful.

I have a good grasp of what went wrong with Chief now and I know there is a fix. 2 behaviorists who were contacted about Chief already said this can be worked through but it would take a lot of effort on Todd's part..however some of the things they mentioned Todd has been doing with Chief for months now and it hasn't changed anything. This is why I did not rush to have him euthanized after it happened. I could work with Chief all day, however without Todd's cooperation I would be getting nowhere because I am not the one he bit. I am not the one he fears with certain things for whatever reason.

Sorry you feel that I do not love my dogs.

#111 ·
Originally Posted By: LilaI'm sorry if you thought I was lecturing.

My understanding and use of the word "foolhardy" is that it's a risky, bold and adventurous thing to do.
Well, that is the definition of "foolhardy" I was thinking of. But, I don't really see being involved in rescue or rescuing a dog in need as being bold, advententurous, and risky thing to do.

But, no harm, no foul.

#112 ·

Quote:I could work with Chief all day, however without Todd's cooperation I would be getting nowhere because I am not the one he bit.
This could not be emphasized enough. Everyone in the household must be on the same page or Chief will continue to push his luck. If you feel that Todd cannot be consistent and you are brutally honest with his abilities and you feel he cannot maintain the level of leadership and training, it may be best to rehome Chief. Please give it a little time and careful thought. Maybe Todd will feel better after a week or so. We all react differently to trauma and remember, once the decision to rehome is made and Chief is gone, it's permanent. It's a scary thing to be bit, especially in the face. I'm sure you are thinking about it every second and please don't let any of us force you into a decision. I think the advice to wait a little bit is very good but besides that, it's ultimately up to you and either decision you make will be difficult for its own reasons.

Quote:Hey, I've worked as a bather before and I can tell you I've even been afraid of little 10 lb dogs who wanted to rip my head off and are so bad I couldn't even get a muzzle on them!
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
I trusted the pits, rotties, sheps, and other "dangerous breeds" over all the small dogs we got!

#113 ·

I just saw the photos and read the posts with that. Yikes. I totally understand Todd's position now! I think very few people can get past a bite like that. Folks, here is yet another reason why littermates should never be separated prior to 8 weeks of age- bite inhibition! Who knows if Chief received those valuable life lessons or missed out...

Have you discussed this with Chief's rescue? The important thing here now is that most rescues will NOT adopt out dogs with bite histories due to liability. What is his rescue's position? I assume they have seen the photos?

#114 ·

Unfortunately, we only respond to the information we can read, and often that information is incomplete. In he post I responded to you stated that you know what needs to be done but you don't want to do it, and you'll gladly ship Chief out of your sight. It rubbed me the wrong way, too. I'm glad that you do care for Chief, thank you for your clarification.

As I said before, he needs to be rehomed, which may take some time, but he does not deserve to die. The decision is yours, and it's not an easy one.

#115 ·

That was sort of a snarky/sarcastic line from me because I am very frustrated right now. Not meant to be taken literal but of course it's hard to tell over the internet so I can't fault you for that.

I never said he deserved to die so I hope you do not think I believe that. In fact I am trying hard to save him right now, again there is a major thing involving the rescue that i cant disclose publicly, but just know that I, along with a handful of other rescuers who know and love chief, are trying hard to figure out what to do and where he can go.

#117 ·

Originally Posted By: GSD07I actually think that it's ok to feel bad and even worse because this situation has to be remembered and never repeated again. The dog's life is at stake, nothing to be so cheerful about. I am not sure but I do not believe that rescues adopt out dogs with the history of bites.
I posted on page one of this thread about the same experience(not face but a bite to the back) and the rescue I was working with did adopt out the dog two weeks after I returned him to his former foster...they blamed me for the bite, and he was never evaluated when I returned him. I still wonder if he is ok, and in his forever home, or did he do the same to his new owners DH?
I quit working with this rescue, they are all about numbers and $.

#118 ·

This is really a bummer.

If the dog is an older dog, and you have had him for a time frame, years?, and this is really unbelieveable, then yes, check out the physical first. If he has something going on and medicine will help, then ok.

I put down my first GSD. I had no one but myself to blame about that. He was a strong working line dog and I was a novice soft owner. He took over. I was a terrible owner, and made every mistake in the book. He DID have a medical problem, an injury that continued to give him pain. He was intact and there was a bitch in heat in the house. There was a second bitch in the house too. The one that was in heat was a new addition, and my Arwen was lost and had just been found.

Anyway, the dog would not let Arwen eat. I was leaving he and Arwen in the lower end of my house, and Mina in the upper end. I had to go to work, and Arwen was starving after her weeks in the wild. So being hurried and frustrated, hearing him snarling at her to get her off the food, I was like "OH NO YOU DON"T!"

I grabbed him and jerked him away from her. He bit my wrist. It did not break the skin, but it was definitely a response to my authority. Again, I said, NO! and grabbed his collar, and he bit my hand, three fingers bear scars from that. But in hindsight, I know know that he was just telling me to back off. He wasn't trying to hurt me.

He was the boss. I put him in a crate and went to work. I came home after getting a tetnus shot and antibiotics. (I get infections easily.) I did some soul searching. I called the shelter, but they would not even consider taking him. This was really a gut reaction. I could not destroy him for two weeks anyway even though he was UTD on shots.

I looked at all the ways his aggression had increased. His injury (shattered long bone in his front leg) made exercise and obedience classes not possible. He was scarey around babies. My sister (who was an adult) always liked him, but he lunged and snapped at her more than once. Every time there was a reason. Every time it scared me though.

I came to the conclusion that the dog was my responsibility and and I put the dog down. I live with that decision. It was, I think, the right decision at the time. Today, I do not think this would happen with a pup I raised, and I think I could manage it if it did. But I am not dealing with a second person here either.

If there is no health issue, the question is, in good faith, can you give this dog back up to the rescue? I understand that you are being up front with them about the bite, but if this dog goes to another family, someone moves, someone dies, and the dog is passed on again, maybe to a family with kids, or a family with people who do not know what they are getting in to. Will the dog bite again?

The rescue will ask these questions, and will probably choose to not adopt this boy out again. I do not know for sure, but most will not adopt out a dog with a bite history.

I think that the choices here are to keep the dog and work with him, or to humanely euthanize the dog, unless you can with complete disclosure find someone from a working venue that is willing to take the dog on.

I feel for you. It is a tough choice. It does not mean you do not love your dog.

#119 ·

What it sounds like is that Chief has a deep seated trigger from a past or many past experiences. Many people grab collars when they are being abusive to dogs or use the collar to drag a dog some place. It also sounds like Chief as lost his warning growl, many people don't understand the purpose of the growl and will repeatedly punish a dog for growling, eventually the dog stops growling and just goes to the next step which is the bite. I am guessing that Chief's trigger is very specific, a certain amount of pressure and possibly a certain angle that blew him out.

Can he be fixed, probably but in order for him to be really fixed Todd has to do it, IMHO. Sending him to another foster home or rescue, it may only be time until the pressure and the angle are correct on the collar and he will blow again. He needs to be worked with Todd and an experienced trainer to get him past the memory reflex.

I will give you my background for this conclusion. I adopted a 4 month old St.Bernard mix from the HS. The story was (I am sure rescues have heard this a zillion times) they were having a baby and didn't trust the big dog, Don't get me started on that one. Any way he was fine with my DH when he met him in the car when I stopped at his work on the way home. But when DH walked in the pup ran to the corner of the bedroom and laid there shaking. That told me a ton, so we went to work on establishing trust with the DH and the Pup. When he was a full grown dog he was up on the couch and I wanted him off, I grabbed his collar to remove him and I got a growl. OK, so I just tapped him on the ribs and said off, Got a bigger growl. So I looked him in the eye and said, OK bud I understand that you have been physically pushed around (abused) as a pup and now you are full grown you aren't taking it any more, but I want you off my couch now. All I had to do was use my voice and give him has hand command and he got off the couch. But if I would have continued to push his trigger I would have been bit.

There are things that are called muscle memory that will trigger responses. So in my case the muscle memory triggered a memory in the dog's brain. See I very seldom use a collar to move dogs, I use my voice, I use my body to get the to understand that I want them to move. But I also get my dogs use to me grabbing their collar just in case I need to but those lessons are full of collar grab and reward.

The trigger has to be dealt with and you need an experienced trainer to help with that.

Val

#120 ·

Hugs To you and Todd. This is hard; having dogs is hard. We give them our hearts and sometimes that's not enough.

It takes a lot of time, work, and sometimes money to deal with an unpredictable dog. The choices that we are forced to make at one time in our lives may be different at another time...it is not for anyone else to judge.

River couldn't stand DH when she first joined us. I have gotten bitten a couple of times(never in the face) by my mistakes in learning how to handle her, and my error in judgement caused my sister to get bitten. It was not a popular decision in my family, that we kep her after that but DH was totally on board with working with her; he was the one who said "let's keep her" (though he doesn't really do any of the work)

We have to assume that she WILL bite. We take actions to protect her and other people when anyone is around. We no longer feel that we have any room for error or lack of judgement. My kids are grown and don't live here. That makes a really big difference in our decisions...I could never have kept her if my kids were young and still at home.

I know that in your love of Chief, you will do what is best for all of you. Please, keep us posted, even if some of us
you off

#121 ·

Once the dog has this kind of bite history, he becomes a huge problem for a "normal" rescue. I know, I know, the rescue always takes the dog back. The question will be is where to put him. A foster home that can handle him, does not have a man living in it or visiting, no kids visiting. There are not many foster homes like that out there. And what if he were to bite the foster? A second bite would be a huge liability suit, which could shut down the rescue or worse. I know that most trainers will not take on the liability to "rehabilitate" a dog with a bite history so that he is adoptable. And, with all the nice animals without bite history out there, why would someone want the risk to adopt a dog with this kind of history?

Often people make it sound as if rescue had magicians volunteering for them that can fix anything. This is not the case. If the rescue is to take him back just to euthanize him (because the contract says that they will take him back), I think it is more humane that the owner euthanizes the animal. At least he won't die among strangers. I know what I am talking about. I took in an 8yo foster with a bite history and he stayed with me until the end of his life five years later because he was impossible to place. Would I do it again? Probably not, I do not need that liability. Very few rescues have volunteers and trainers able and willing to deal with these kinds of situations and dogs.

The sad reality is that a dog without a bite history has many options, and one with a bite history has very little. His best chance is the owner working with the animal. It may sound harsh, but if the people who love the dog and are bonded with him don't want him, why would anyone else, a stranger do it?

It is a very sad situation for everyone involved. I understand it well. I was bitten several times by one foster (pretty badly), realized that he was not adoptable. I considered putting him to sleep but ended up letting him live out his life in my home. It got easier with time.

Wishing you all the best in this difficult situation.

#123 ·

Earlier I wrote that Thor had bitten a neighbor in his knee with no warning.. no hackles, no growl, no nothing, from quiet sit to lunge. I have been working with him ever since. As the behaviorist stated, Thor is fear aggressive and suffers separation anxiety and needs a lot of socialization to make up for that first year of life when he had absolutely none. We have no idea what he went through that first year of his life, the time when should have been learning social skills.

Even though he wears a muzzle everywhere we go, before the muzzle was ordered by Health Dept., Thor's trainer suggested that we bring the neighbor to a training session and she would watch the interaction and see if she could correct anything she saw out of order. By the time we left that day, the neighbor was walking Thor and handing him treats. To this day, a few years later, Thor and neighbor meet frequently and there has never been any further problem. While we can debate what triggered the initial bite, but we'll never really know what was going on in his head.

I debated putting Thor down at that time...in fact, it was considered the logical next step for me to make. But I love Thor and he loves me. He came to me needing all the love he never had. I could never rehome him, as I know what he did was totally wrong and I accept full responsibility for it...but I'd be afraid that someone else could experience the same problem. And, frankly, I would never recover if he had to be put down without me at his side.

Not being someone who had ever owned a dog with "issues", I probably made many errors when he first arrived, spoiling him, loving and cuddling him, not using NILIF (knew nothing about it), and most importantly, not socializing him enough...you name, every thing I probably did was wrong. I'm trying to correct my bad mothering, even if it means he has to wear a muzzle, even if it means I will do whatever I can to get him to a behaviorist when I can. Meanwhile, he'll stay with me. I'll probably still make mistakes but I'm trying. I don't want Thor put down.

But then, I live alone, with only Thor and Freya. I have no Todd in my life so that is a major consideration for you. I know Todd will recover from the physical wounds but he also needs help recovering from the emotional and psychological wounds. I tend to agree with others who have suggested that the two of them work together, at least until Todd has overcome his fears. And Chief needs to see a behaviorist until he too is cleared for what ever triggered his behavior.

But then, what do I know? I've already admitted I knew nothing about dogs with issues. Still, I wish you all the luck in the world, that Todd recovers, that Chief's problems are resolved and doesn't have to be put to sleep. Because I do know one thing....how much one can love a dog, even not a perfect one.

#124 ·

Originally Posted By: GSDElsa
Originally Posted By: LilaI'm sorry if you thought I was lecturing.

My understanding and use of the word "foolhardy" is that it's a risky, bold and adventurous thing to do.
Well, that is the definition of "foolhardy" I was thinking of. But, I don't really see being involved in rescue or rescuing a dog in need as being bold, advententurous, and risky thing to do.

But, no harm, no foul.
Read Rebel's post. It depends on the kind of dogs you take, and sometimes you don't know what you're getting until you have them with you long enough.

So that is bold (I can deal with this strange, unknown background animal no matter what they toss at me), adventurous (I am going to deal with the unknown) and risky (big powerful animal with who knows what triggers).

#125 ·

There are very valid points on both sides of the equation and it makes me so torn. I did bring up the thought of him working with Chief and he gave me a very definite "No." I know we cannot keep him here, but I personally want to fight for his right to live, but then there are the legalities and liabilities involved with re-homing him if another bite were to happen. I remember when I was a ghgsdr volunteer that a family had applied to adopt a very strong male GSD we had. They sounded excellent on paper and passed their references checks and home visit with flying colors. Well they got the dog home and the most irresponsible thing that could have happened, happened. They let the dog outside unleashed in the front yard to play. A neighbor kid came up and he bit the kid because he was being territorial/protective over his yard or family. Fortunately no lawsuits were filed but the owners were threatening to take the dog and have him euthanized. We got him back in our rescue and he was re-homed and has been doing wonderful ever since and there have been no such problems.

Val- About the collar thing, it now seems very clear that Chief has some issues with men handling him. I have grabbed Chief's collar at times and he would never think to put his teeth on me, he allowed me to move and direct him in any which way I pleased. There were many times when Todd leashed him up with no problem and grabbed his collar to make him move, but some of the times Chief would run and find me when Todd tried to handle him. BTW Todd has never been aggressive in his handling with Chief, he has never jerked him around or anything like that. Chief should have zero emotional trauma from Todd, this just has to be something deeply ingrained that happened early in his life.

There is one experienced person in the rescue I am trying to contact. I've seen her work with some pretty hard cases and she also used to train Schutzhund. I heard her last foster just got adopted.

#126 ·

I can understand Todd's reaction and I bet his face is pretty darn sore today. It would be tough for him to say sure dear no problem, I want to put myself in possible harms way again. Maybe give him a few more days.

But I think that some rescues come with some really bad things embedded in them. Some times it doesn't come out because the trigger isn't pushed. Not excusing what Chief did, but he reacted different than you have ever seen him do. Like I said it could have been the pressure or the angle of the pressure that triggered the muscle memory. The only way to deal with muscle memory is to reprogram it so to speak, pull on collar, no reaction HUGE treats and praise. But Todd is part of the trigger so it won't work with you doing it.

Also don't just blow off that their might be something physical going on with him. A good check up, check tyyroid levels, do a tick panel screening, X rays to rule out the physical stuff.

I hope there can be some help for Chief.

Val

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.