German Shepherds Forum banner

BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Chief

37K views 289 replies 79 participants last post by  JakodaCD OA 
#1 ·
Trying to keep my composure here, I cannot believe what just happened..

My boyfriend came home from work about 30 minutes ago. Chief was on the floor and just woke up from sleeping because Todd called him to take him outside. Chief refused and hopped up in bed and curled up behind me as he sometimes does. Normally Todd will say 'Let's go Chief!" again and he will follow him to the door. Well this time Todd reached for his collar to pull him down, not in a mean or rude way or anything, and Chief lunged at him aggressively and bit his face. Todd has a big gash in his cheek and across the bottom of his chin. He straight up with no warning lunged and put gashes in his face!! He just left for the minor emergency clinic to get it cleaned up, it is nasty and he said very painful. Omg I didn't even know what to say or do, I am completely shocked and I feel absolutely horrible. There was so much blood on his face and on the bathroom sink and floor. Now Chief is super attached to me but he has never shown any aggression to Todd. He has started to bond with him really well and would often cuddle with him in the bed and on the couch, something he would never do even with me in the beginning. I cannot believe he did this to Todd. I do not and cannot have this happen again. I love my dog to death but now I don't doubt he would act this way towards ANYone to "protect" me. This deeply concerns since it has hit close to home. I know this is Todd's fault since he is the one that went to move Chief but IMO this should NEVER happen, Chief should not act that way towards him. I am so thankful he did not get his eye. I mean I am just at a loss, this has never happened before? What do I do? Does Chief need to be re-homed, can he be trusted to a new home unless it was a single person? He apparently bonds to one person. He obviously has a pretty serious bite history now and that would be a big liability to put him up for adoption. I am really scared and worried. Todd totally kept his cool and didn't react to Chief but I could tell he was extremely upset, [censored], angry, etc. I am VERY upset about thinking of euthanasia and wonder if that is overreacting but tell me what should I do, I need some insight PLEASE. I know Todd is going to have a very different view of Chief now, and i dont blame him, but now I worry that he will direct his frustrations and anger onto me because of what my dog did and I don't want it to break our relationship apart, we are planning on purchasing a home together in May, he's not just a guy I could easily say goodbye to.

OMG

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: BIG problem my boyfriend was bit in face by Ch

I agree with Rosa, it's been a long trying, emotional day. Give it a few days, sit down with Todd and talk about it. Glad to hear Todd is okay, and I do agree, it doesn't sound like a vicious attack, but a warning bite and the face was just, well, there instead of say a hand or arm. Not saying any is appropriate, but a vicious attack would have been much worse.

#53 ·

You just brought into the home a Dobie puppy right? It could be that Chiefs on edge because of the new arrival. I understand the pup was in the crate at the time, but this might really have an emontional impact on Chief.

#54 ·

Im sorry this happened. But people, the dog BIT HIM IN THE FACE. Not on the arm or leg. ON THE FACE.
How can they trust the dog?

If this were my dog he would be going to get tested for everything under the sun.

Biting is NOT an acceptable behavior REGUARDLESS of the situation!
The bite WAS UNPROVOKED.
Im not saying put him down, but he must be seen by a professional so this does not happen again.

When did you get Chief?
They said dogs come out of their "shells" 6 months to 1 year after you get them.

Again, Im sorry to hear this. hope everything works out.

#55 ·

Originally Posted By: Angel RIm sorry this happened. But people, the dog BIT HIM IN THE FACE. Not on the arm or leg. ON THE FACE.

If this were my dog he would be going to get tested for everything under the sun.

The bite WAS UNPROVOKED.
Im not saying put him down, but he must be seen by a professional so this does not happen again.

When did you get Chief?
They said dogs come out of their "shells" 6 months to 1 year after you get them.

Maybe we're not reading the same post, but NO ONE is writing its ok for a dog to bite. Of course, the dog could use a professional assessemnt but what do you expect in the meantime-a beating?

signed,
"people"

#56 ·

Originally Posted By: shilohsmom
Originally Posted By: Angel RIm sorry this happened. But people, the dog BIT HIM IN THE FACE. Not on the arm or leg. ON THE FACE.

The bite WAS UNPROVOKED.

When did you get Chief?

Maybe we're not reading the same post, but NO ONE is writing its ok for a dog to bite. Of course, the dog could use a professional assessemnt but what do you expect in the meantime-a beating?

signed,
"people"

OH YAH A BEATING....... What a STUPID childish thing to write.
Seriously.
Where does such an IGNORANT statement like that come from?
I cant even believe some of the things that people say on this forum.....

#57 ·

they already posted that the dog is going to be evaluated by a professional the rescue referred them to.

agreed that a face bite is a serious thing, but it's not like the dog jumped up from the floor to nail him in the face. Why do most children get bitten in the face? because their face is on the same level as the dog. In this case, the dog was on the bed, putting him at face height with an adult. Therefore, the dog lunged forward and got him in the face.

not excusing the dog's behavior at all, but let's not make it to be more than it is.

#59 ·

It comes from you! You make everything about drama..or should I write DRAMA.. Everyone had already suggested the dog get professional assessments, but all that he bit him IN THE FACE...ON THE FACE...WAS UNPROVOKED...drama, thats what I'm writing about.

#60 ·

I don't think anyone is saying a bite to the face is okay, or that any bite is okay, but it is different than a vicious attack IMHO though. But if it happened to me, I'm sure I'd be just as shook up as she is.

I also wouldn't say unprovoked...something happened to set Chief off, sounds like being removed from the bed/collar touch was the trigger. Was his action right or appropriate? No, but it did provoke a reaction. I am NOT blaming anyone or defending the dog, but there was an action then a reaction. Unprovoked is when no action causes a reaction.

#61 ·

Originally Posted By: Dainerrathey already posted that the dog is going to be evaluated by a professional the rescue referred them to.

agreed that a face bite is a serious thing, but it's not like the dog jumped up from the floor to nail him in the face. Why do most children get bitten in the face? because their face is on the same level as the dog. In this case, the dog was on the bed, putting him at face height with an adult. Therefore, the dog lunged forward and got him in the face.

not excusing the dog's behavior at all, but let's not make it to be more than it is.
Amen.

#62 ·

Originally Posted By: shilohsmomIt comes from you! You make everything about drama..or should I write DRAMA.. Everyone had already suggested the dog get professional assessments, but all that he bit him IN THE FACE...ON THE FACE...WAS UNPROVOKED...drama, thats what I'm writing about.
How is typing in CAPS DRAMA?
LOL you make me laugh.
Seriously. Take a chill pill.
Im not here to offened anyone.
Im writing my outlook on things.
Everyone else gets to.
Noone has to follow my advice.
There is NO WAY you could be offened by my post.
What YOU said was WAY out of line.
The way the OP stated it, her bf went to take the dog by the collar.
Unprovoked bite IMHO
You dont have to agree.
I dont care.

Best of luck to this girl, her dog & her bf.

#63 ·

agree with the "unprovoked" also. The dog had a good reason, in his mind. Someone was trying to force him from his bed when he didn't want to go. A dog can't say "back off" or push someone away. He has teeth and he used them. If it had been an ATTACK he would have done a lot more damage.

Believe me, a dog attacks your face, you don't mop up in the sink and then drive to the clinic.

Edited because I don't know why I wrote "beach" instead of bed lol

#65 ·

Originally Posted By: Dainerra
Edited because I don't know why I wrote "beach" instead of bed lol
Because thats where we'd all rather be? Lying in the sun instead of freezing our butts off! LOL (Whoops! Just saw above post!) I meant "lol".
JK Lisa, trying to lighten up the thread a little?

#66 ·

Originally Posted By: Dainerra A dog can't say "back off"
Yes they can, it's called growling. The OP said the dog didn't growl, he just lunged and bit. In the face, not on the arm attached to the hand that was holding his collar, as I'd expect.

#67 ·

I still can't help but wonder about the role of the new Dobie pup in the household and how this could have stressed out Chief.

I'd also still would like to know if Todd is going to have to have Rabies shots since he didn't describe the dog that bit him?

#68 ·
Following the assessment you and Todd can decide what to do. We all know you've stated your attachment to Chief and we know that Todd is a cop. That being said don't make any hasty decisions about Chief's future.

Being a rescue in the first place means that Chief will need more work than normal. Rescuing is a brave and sometimes foolhardy thing to do. I've looked at your prior post celebrating Chief's Gotcha Day. I know you love him intensely.

Read the other posts. Now is not the time to make a final decision regarding Chief's future. It's emotional and shocking but "rescue work" has the potential to reveal something you never expected. Working through those problems requires a dedication and structure that I'm sure is within both of your capabilities providing that Chief's not evaluated as hopelessly "male aggressive".

#69 ·

Originally Posted By: LisaT
Originally Posted By: Angel RHow is typing in CAPS DRAMA?
Capital letters are the equivalent of shouting, raising the level of discourse, thus more dramatic.
Thank you Lisa, Thats exactly why I can't handle reading her posts and normally skip over them entirely. I guess I'm in a bad mood tonight and it just set me over the edge. I apoligize to the board for my comments

Back to Chief.

#70 ·

Dear Jamie,

MaggieRoseLee, Kathy, Jean, Brightelf, Dainerra, GSD07 have all offered good advice.

Chief is CHIEF, and that is clear to me. He has the rule of the roost in your house.

I don't have anything to add, other than what has been said, so if you want to know what I would say, go back to read the above posters' posts.

I am very sorry about what happened, and I am confident that when you follow the advice above, things will be ok. A basic obedience class for Chief and Todd would be good to strengthen their bond, help Chief trust Todd and see him as a leader. I know that Chief already knows obedience, but it is about the relationship between Chief and Todd.

Also, a vet check would be good. NILIF! NILIF! NILIF!

Please talk to us, as you are in my thoughts.

Sincrely,
Christina

#71 ·
Originally Posted By: LilaFollowing the assessment you and Todd can decide what to do. We all know you've stated your attachment to Chief and we know that Todd is a cop. That being said don't make any hasty decisions about Chief's future.

Being a rescue in the first place means that Chief will need more work than normal. Rescuing is a brave and sometimes foolhardy thing to do. I've looked at your prior post celebrating Chief's Gotcha Day. I know you love him intensely.

Read the other posts. Now is not the time to make a final decision regarding Chief's future. It's emotional and shocking but "rescue work" has the potential to reveal something you never expected. Working through those problems requires a dedication and structure that I'm sure is within both of your capabilities providing that Chief's not evaluated as hopelessly "male aggressive".
What a wonderful post!

#72 ·

Originally Posted By: shilohsmom
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Originally Posted By: Angel RHow is typing in CAPS DRAMA?
Capital letters are the equivalent of shouting, raising the level of discourse, thus more dramatic.
Thank you Lisa, Thats exactly why I can't handle reading her posts and normally skip over them entirely. I guess I'm in a bad mood tonight and it just set me over the edge. I apoligize to the board for my comments

Back to Chief.
Are you serious?
You can talk
about me beating a dog (why ever that even came out of your mouth.)

But I cant type in CAPS?
OH please forgive my typing in capital letters.
No wonder why so many people leave this board.

#74 ·

Please understand that no one is judging you here. I have read the thread in its entirety. I see a lot of people who care and want to help. Please keep us updated, as you are still a very appreciated member of the forum. WE LOVE YOU!

#75 ·

Ok, minus the last few posts, which have nothing to do with the original poster, nor her dog Chief. If anyone has a beef with anyone else, let's do it through PM. I, and many others, would like to try to help the original poster out. She needs the support of other faithful and dedicated GSD owners. Let's stay on topic, PLEASE!

#76 ·

About typing in CAPS, honestly I will do that here and there to emphasize, rather than using bold. I think that was Angel R's intention. I think it's one thing to have a word or two in CAPS and another thing entirely to use CAPS for the whole post....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.