spiked collar? good or makes things worse? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default spiked collar? good or makes things worse?

following up on my post last nite, i walk my boy matrix with a spiked collar on? good or makes things worse? when he sees another dog, he goes nuts and he doesnt get intimidated about the spiked collar he just tries to lunge and go bananas lol! should i use something else?
djvectrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Default Re: spiked collar? good or makes things worse?

A spiked collar is for looks, it has no effect on the dog. Unless you're talking about a PRONG collar???

http://www.pitbull-store.com/images/...og-dog_LRG.jpg

Example of a spiked collar ^

Example of a prong collar v

http://www.carealotpets.com/images/items/156Lg.jpg

How old is your dog? If you're using a prong collar is it fitted properly?

leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

I haven't read your other post so I don't know about the situation but no matter what, a collar wont fix your dogs problems. Only training will.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

If it is a prong collar just make sure you are giving a correction with it (quick snap to the side and tell the dog "leave it" or whatever you want to say). Just having it on alone won't do anything.
MXpro982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Go to a pet store with your dog and find one of the clickers.. See if your dog responds well to it.. That is something else you could try. Just redirecting the attention... Didn't really work for me, but it works for some.

And try and not pull backwards on the leash.. That will motivate the dog to pull and lunge and intensify the situation.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are referring to a prong collar, then it's very important that the collar is fitted correctly and that you are using it correctly, like Chance's Mom said.

I've found that many store employees who recommend (and fit) those collars for customers really don't know how to fit them correctly, and many of the dogs I see with prong collars have the collars hanging loosely around the bottom of the neck where they are completely useless.

The link Chance's Mom gave shows you how to put on and fit a prong collar correctly. A lot of people don't have them all the way up behind the ears, but you do want it to sit around the upper part of the dog's neck, not at the bottom.

When you are using a prong collar, it's important that you're not simply letting the dog self-correct (hit the end of the leash to get a correction) but that you are using the collar as a training aid rather than a training substitute.

That said, your problem seems to happen when you come toward another dog. In that case, the prong collar may not be a good solution because it can actually ramp your dog up and make the behavior worse, rather than better. What you want to do is a way of redirecting the dog and/or catching the dog before he reacts to the other dog on walks.

Is your dog at all motivated by food (treats) or toys? If so, you can use that motivation to redirect his attention by having him do a command when you spot another dog (but before your dog spots the other dog). Have your dog do a command such as "focus" (look at you) or "sit" so you have his attention and he is focusing on you and waiting for a reward, rather than focusing on the other dog. You can also try walking in a different direction or doing a turn.

Quote:
Quote:Go to a pet store with your dog and find one of the clickers.. See if your dog responds well to it.. That is something else you could try. Just redirecting the attention...
The clicker is a great training tool when it is used correctly. If you expect the dog to respond to the sound first time he hears it, or using the clicker to redirect the dog's attention, you are not using it correctly.

A clicker is only a marker that marks when the correct behavior occurs and lets the dog know that yes, this is what I want you to do, and a treat is going to follow. Of course, the dog doesn't know that click equals treat until you have "charged" the clicker, meaning you've conditioned the dog to understand that a click will be followed by a treat.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Well then the trainer I paid didn't know what they were doing haha.. It was a waste of my money anyways. Nothing I couldn't have found on youtube. She taught me to say "look" and at that point the dog would see the other dog and that was when I would click (the reward) I suppose. But the dog would get a treat after the click.. So who knows.. Maybe thats why it didn't work for me!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

djvectrex, where are you?

Are you talking about a 'prong' collar? The reason they don't work is because when we just buy them and put them on, we get the wrong size and put them on improperly, use them wrong and can make things worse.

But if we go to dog classes with a good trainer and learn to TEACH our dogs.............then they become the 'amazing rocket scientist' of a dog that they always had in them, but WE don't know how to bring it out until WE are taught properly.

So just do the research to find a good dog trainer you'll be shocked how much better things go. And since I'm raising my 4th dog and still going to dog classes I DO know what I'm talking about!!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:She taught me to say "look" and at that point the dog would see the other dog and that was when I would click (the reward) I suppose. But the dog would get a treat after the click.. So who knows.. Maybe thats why it didn't work for me!
Maybe it was a misunderstanding between you and the trainer or she was not able to communicate with you properly what it is you were supposed to be doing.

The command "look" should get your dog to look at YOU, not the other dog. When the dog focuses ("look") on you, you click to mark the behavior ("yes, I want eye contact from you, good job") and then follow that with the treat (reward).

Of course, that only works if the clicker is "charged" to begin with. Did she have you ever just click-treat-click-treat for awhile so the dog learns to associate the click with the treat? If not, maybe she needs to go back to clicker basics before training people using the clicker.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

It sounds like the Look At That! game by Control Unleashed's Leslie McDevitt, which would be something entirely different than teaching your dog to focus on you. It's actually a great technique for reactive dogs. Rather than telling the dog they are not allowed to look at whatever is worrying and stressing them out, you give them permission by teaching them to look on cue. in this game, you do click when they look at the other dog, and then if you've taught your dog properly that the click means that a reward will follow, the dog looks back at you for the treat. It's also a form of counter-conditioning because you're pairing the presence of a trigger with food.

It's really, really hard to keep a reactive dog's focus on you 100% when they're in the presence of a trigger and it can actually make them MORE stressed out if you don't allow them to check something out and see that it's not a threat. But you also don't want to allow them to stare fixedly at things that will set them off - LAT is a great tool for interrupting and diverting their attention away from the trigger. It's best to only play this game in the presence of a trigger after the dog "gets" it by using a benign object at first, and then working up to something a little more exciting (I play Look At The Cat! around the house) before attempting it out in the real world around serious triggers. By then, the game will be familiar to the dog and give him something to do other than freak out.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thats the one!! ^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.