German Shepherds Forum banner

Malamute bit my 13 mo old daughter in the face

14K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  WiscTiger 
#1 ·
This dog is my mother in law's dog that is 14 yrs old. We are currently living with her until we find our house to buy. We had literally only been home for maybe 10 minutes. My wife let the 3 dogs inside the house and was making Amaylie dinner. I usually keep the Malamute outside because I never do trust him at all. As soon as I said , "I think we need to put him outside especially with food around", he bit her. I jumped up and got him away from Amaylie.. Then my wife picked Amaylie up and said, "we need to go". So after I saw her face I kicked the dog so hard in the ribs he tried biting me too.. He better be getting put down monday, but my mother in law is hiking and won't be home until later today. She doesn't even know it has happend yet.

We are all to blame for this. That was the worst part of watching Amaylie in pain and going through it all. The Malamute has bit my mother in law before we ever lived here...twice.. So she should have had him put down a long time ago.. And then we should have never moved in here.. And then we should have never allowed him inside the house. I feel so bad because I knew better and was just getting ready to get him outside before it happend. Sucks. Well, Amaylie got 4 stitches in her face (two per deep wounds)..

This also sucks to say, but this really makes me feel like having ANY dogs around might not be worth it. I feel like getting rid of all of them right now and that is hard to say. I mean, he almost got her eye. Scares me. Sorry the picture was with my phone. I will post an after pic later today.

See less See more
#102 ·
Lets put it this way... If I punched someone FOR NO REASON, shouldn't I expect to be punched back??! I promise you that dog knew why he got kicked. You people apparently have yet to figure out how the real world works. Not everything is POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT.

#104 ·
And this isn't the HUMANS fault. Yes, he shouldn't have been inside the house. But we didn't do anything to make him bite her. ANIMAL did that. We presented the situation but he is the one who decided on what to do. He has bitten my MIL while she was trying to GIVE him food in a bowl.. Was that her fault too??

#105 ·
There is no resentment between any of us! Wow. I will no longer be posting on this website. 90% of you are apparently retarded. I am not going to waste my time here. I would bet that if I posted this to the nation, the majority would have done a lot more than kick the dog. A reasonably person would have done what I did. While you are busy picking up your kid, you have done nothing to teach the dog a lesson and he will just bite another kid. Congrats on protecting no one.

#106 ·
Bunch a retards huh??? lol

Kicking the dog served as a release of anger on your part, nothing more, nothing less and now you are once again showing your lack of control...

Ok now that that is outa my system.... sorry about your daughter. It really is a bad situation. I would never let them be alone together again.

#107 ·
Originally Posted By: MXpro982 There is no resentment between any of us! Wow. I will no longer be posting on this website. 90% of you are apparently retarded. I am not going to waste my time here. I would bet that if I posted this to the nation, the majority would have done a lot more than kick the dog. A reasonably person would have done what I did. While you are busy picking up your kid, you have done nothing to teach the dog a lesson and he will just bite another kid. Congrats on protecting no one.
A reasonable, intelligent person would never have left their toddler on the floor with a dog that has a known bite history. You
ed up!! Now your baby and the dog are paying the price!!!

The dog is freaking blind, death, in pain and old...what did you think was going to happen?!?!?

#108 ·
People, people, people! Let's end it right now! It was a sad situation that happened. Learn from it, educate people, not slam each other with "personal" views. There's a lesson to be learned here. Working together to help each other in situations like this. We all have our own views. Don't use them to criticize, use them to help. In Vietnam, I watched a war dog protect it's wounded master with it's body and life. Nobody could get to the man because he protected him. He had to be "SHOT" in order to save the man... Was that right? I don't know, but the soldier would have died without help. I live with that, knowing how much I love GSD's. Sorry if I offended anybody, but teach instead of criticizing means a lot to me... Thank you for hearing me out.

#109 ·
I wanted to clarify one thing. I kicked the dog one time. I think people are picturing me standing above the dog beating it. Never happend. Secondly, I think its hilarious how you guys pretend to be the ones with the "good hearts" and Im the bad guy. How many of you have asked how the baby is doing??

I will love my daughter more than any dog. Maybe you should examine your own lives. Yes, I kicked the dog once in anger and also to deter its mind off of my daughter that he was fixating on.. I think we got passed that 4 pages ago. Get over it. The dog is fine. Thanks to everyone who actually cared about the child- the only victim.

#110 ·
Can we get this post closed out before it gets nastier?

#112 ·
I'm not sure if you're responding to me or just posting in general, but I'm not attacking you in any way.
I believe you reacted in the only way you knew how in the heat of the moment and I don't think it's fair that people are nitpicking it.

I agree with the people that believe this thread should be learned from.

#115 ·
Any dog can get startled and bite. As much as I trust Jax I always have a firm grip on her when she is around little kids. All it would take was one child jumping on her and who knows how she would react in pain...

I don't know what I would do in the OP position. Would I have kicked the dog in anger? Probably not. But I can't say for sure since I wasn't there and don't know what the dog was doing. Would I have left my baby on the floor with a dog that has a known bite history? Not a chance.

I think it could happen again with a different dog if the OP puts all the blame on the dog and takes none upon himself.

I don't even understand why the OP put this post on here. Was he looking for justification to euth. the dog? Sympathy? Warning to others to be careful with dogs?

I think Jaggirl is right...the thread just needs to be closed.

#116 ·
Before this closes.. Read through the posts. MOST here are sending positive thoughts for your little girl... and I'll ask it, how is she now? We might not have asked the question, but our hearts are with her. I guess since it happen so recently nobody thought to ask for an update on her condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.