German Shepherds Forum banner

Malamute bit my 13 mo old daughter in the face

14K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  WiscTiger 
#1 ·
This dog is my mother in law's dog that is 14 yrs old. We are currently living with her until we find our house to buy. We had literally only been home for maybe 10 minutes. My wife let the 3 dogs inside the house and was making Amaylie dinner. I usually keep the Malamute outside because I never do trust him at all. As soon as I said , "I think we need to put him outside especially with food around", he bit her. I jumped up and got him away from Amaylie.. Then my wife picked Amaylie up and said, "we need to go". So after I saw her face I kicked the dog so hard in the ribs he tried biting me too.. He better be getting put down monday, but my mother in law is hiking and won't be home until later today. She doesn't even know it has happend yet.

We are all to blame for this. That was the worst part of watching Amaylie in pain and going through it all. The Malamute has bit my mother in law before we ever lived here...twice.. So she should have had him put down a long time ago.. And then we should have never moved in here.. And then we should have never allowed him inside the house. I feel so bad because I knew better and was just getting ready to get him outside before it happend. Sucks. Well, Amaylie got 4 stitches in her face (two per deep wounds)..

This also sucks to say, but this really makes me feel like having ANY dogs around might not be worth it. I feel like getting rid of all of them right now and that is hard to say. I mean, he almost got her eye. Scares me. Sorry the picture was with my phone. I will post an after pic later today.

See less See more
#77 ·
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliIt doesn't make it okay, I agree. But when you act out in anger stuff happens that you just can't control. Some people can handle their anger well, some can't.
IMO he's shown remorse about his actions and it should pretty much be dropped not poked at with a stick asking "Why?? Why did you kick the dog? Why? Why? How could you?".
Because it would be irresponsible of people, on a public forum that many people can read, that anyone can read, actually, to not point out that it is not the way to go.

Norm setting. It's not the norm here to kick an old dog like that regardless of the situation, after the fact.

Thank goodness.

#79 ·
Sorry OP but what you did to that senior dog was definitely abuse. I think the dog should be checked out by a vet too...you could have done some internal damage. Sounds horrible too...it makes me sick to my stomach to read what you did to him considering this was in no way the dog's fault, but you and your wife's.

Yes I know emotions are running high right now but that is the hard truth. You let your guard down with a dog who has a bite/aggression history. I know I don't have the most popular opinion or response in this thread but this is how I see it. If this was a news story and it was posted here, you and your wife would most certainly be slammed for your irresponsibility especially since the dog and your child have suffered from it.

Also your personal dog is so young too..it worries me to think what could happen to her in the future as she grows and tests her boundaries and her personality changes. Dogs have sharp teeth and do not have the ability to reason, we are the ones with opposable thumbs and the bigger brain. Beating and abusing a dog is not how you earn its respect and trust and is not the right way to discipline. I hope to god your puppy never makes a similar mistake because it is clear how you will react.

As for the earlier comment somewhere about Malamutes as a whole, I do not think it is fair nor right to make a blanket statement about an entire breed and single them out based on a personal experience with one specimen of that breed. I do not want to see any breed on a BSL list and making those kinds of comments is what puts fear into the uneducated public and paints a negative picture of the breed. There are many factors and variables involved as to why a dog of a certain breed may act out aggressively. Bad breeding and environment/training definitely play a big part. That does not mean we should speak negatively of the entire breed as a whole. Don't GSDs have a much higher bite statistic than Mals? I have known and heard of plenty of Shepherds who have "snapped" as well as other breeds. Malamutes are no better or worse. I am sure now that when OP and his wife re-tell the story of what happened to their daughter's face throughout her life, it will make people think negatively of Malamutes.

I have sympathy for the daughter and the dog...and the MIL. I have gone out of town before and came home to a bad situation involving my dogs and it is very difficult to deal with when there was nothing you could do.

#80 ·
Attacking other people or animals out of anger or because of a temper is human nature but that doesn't make it okay! I've been accidently hit in the face by my child - it doesn't make it okay for me to throw him across the room! We, as adults, have to learn to control ourselves when it comes to retributional violence. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

As far as remorse, I have not seen anything but justification for the kick.

there have also been comments like this:
Quote:He is most certainly a "loaded gun" waiting to go off..
From the OP about the dog. I guess my question is - would you leave a loaded gun next to your toddler????

Because given all the facts this sounds to me like human error more than anything else.

#81 ·
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliIt doesn't make it okay, I agree. But when you act out in anger stuff happens that you just can't control. Some people can handle their anger well, some can't.
IMO he's shown remorse about his actions and it should pretty much be dropped not poked at with a stick asking "Why?? Why did you kick the dog? Why? Why? How could you?".
Because it would be irresponsible of people, on a public forum that many people can read, that anyone can read, actually, to not point out that it is not the way to go.

Norm setting. It's not the norm here to kick an old dog like that regardless of the situation, after the fact.

Thank goodness.
You're right, it should be pointed out. I just disagree with the constant attacking.

#83 ·
Originally Posted By: APBTLove
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliThat's why I say some people can handle this, some can't. My BF has a temper, I don't. We're all different.
But you said NOBODY HERE knows what they would do in that situation

Well, I guess not in his specific situation

Really, I'm not saying his actions were okay. It was irresponsible but we're pretty much beating a dead horse.
What bothers me is that he KNOWS it was wrong yet we're attacking anyway. I think we all deserve forgiveness, (not that he has to seek any type of forgiveness from us) when we show regret and remorse.

20/20 Hindsight.

#86 ·
Quote: No, I don't think so. My posts are not aimed at you or ABPT. It's just an in general in response to the posts I've been seeing.
But that's what I'm saying - those of us who are writing to urge care in the decisions about the dog and criticism of his reaction are also writing in general to the posts we've been seeing - especially the OP's, which to my reading do not actually sound particularly remorseful. Sorry that it happened, but a lot of shedding of responsibility for what led up to the event as well as what happened afterwards.

If you think a dog is "a loaded gun waiting to go off" and has a known history of biting, why would you have your toddler next to said dog when he was being fed???

#87 ·
Originally Posted By: MXpro982 I just pray she doesn't get scarred mentally or anything from it.. She will have two scars on her face, but we need to keep her out of the sun the best we can for a year and keep vitamin E on it in hopes of the scars fading.
I'm so sorry for you and your beautiful little girl.

Didn't read all the replies, but chances are good if you follow advice about sun and vitamin E, she will have minimal if any scarring.

My son had an accident about the same edge - nearly slicing the tip of his nose off.

Was told to do the same and that he would need plastic surgery when older... but, today, as an adult, you cannot even see the scar.

hope it's the same for you!

#88 ·
DenaliFofali,

I haven't called the guy a liar and do not think he is one. I have not questioned his statements.

He posted and is acting out of the heat of the moment and the aftermath of an attack. I am trying to provide insight from the MILs view AND provide possible explanations, but mostly, I want for him to step back a bit in order to preserve the extended family.

In the heat of the moment we often say and do things we regret later.

I do not think the dog was let in by mistake, the child's mother who was raised with the dog, let the dogs in. He had reservations and was just thinking about removing that dog, when it happened.

These are semantics I know, but they do show something, the MIL and the wife who have known this dog from a puppy could not see the danger in the dog. Sometimes an outsider can see things that the person in the middle cannot.

#89 ·
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofali
Originally Posted By: APBTLove
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliThat's why I say some people can handle this, some can't. My BF has a temper, I don't. We're all different.
But you said NOBODY HERE knows what they would do in that situation

Well, I guess not in his specific situation

Really, I'm not saying his actions were okay. It was irresponsible but we're pretty much beating a dead horse.
What bothers me is that he KNOWS it was wrong yet we're attacking anyway. I think we all deserve forgiveness, (not that he has to seek any type of forgiveness from us) when we show regret and remorse.

20/20 Hindsight.

His words:

"I am quite angry at myself! I knew better. But I did not make that dog bite my daughter. He bit her on his own! I don't consider my kick "abuse".. If that dog bit another dog like he did, I guarentee you that the other dog would have faught back! That is nature."

That is what bothers me. It still seems like he is trying to justify his actions.

#90 ·
Originally Posted By: selzerDenaliFofali,
I haven't called the guy a liar and do not think he is one. I have not questioned his statements.
Again, not directed at you.

I agree with you 100%. But there are others that I don't agree with so much. It's just my .02.

And:

"So was I. I didn't inspect my daughter prior, I only saw my daughter face down with him over her and my wife, "!" and then I saw blood...That was enough for me... I got up, and went to remove the threat from the situation.. "

#91 ·
How in the world could the dog and toddler be facing the same way when the incisors are near her ear...there's no way. Either the toddler or the dog turned around and I am betting it was the toddler. You already stated that you were in by the computer. And if the dog had still been a threat when u decided to kick it your daughter would have been mauled before you got those 3 feet. I'm sorry but even the OP has no idea what happened in the seconds before or right after the attack and attacking the dog back is not the answer.

As far as none of us knowing what we would do....I know exactly my son was bite by the neighbors GSD and I immediately picked my child up and got him to safety. My husband was there also and neither he or I kicked the dog.

Revenge and anger is why you kicked that poor senior dog and the other poster is right...if this was a news story and you were not a member of this board you would be being flamed bad for being irresponsible and abusive.

I am done here as OP will not have any compassion for the dog or the MIL and even the wife who's childhood dog this is. I feel that in the future this will cause a lot of resentment between the MIL and SIL and possibly even the SIL and wife, but good luck with that.

#92 ·
When I was around 11 or 12 I remember walking my young GSD puppy down the street and one of the neighbor's dogs started barking like crazy when he saw us and he jumped the 4ft chainlink fence and ran at us. I picked up my puppy and held my arms over him and immediately froze as the neighbor's dog jumped up at him (though not viciously at all). My neighbor heard his dog barking and ran outside over to us and grabbed his dog by his neck choking him and dragged him into their yard. To this day I still cringe as I can clearly remember and have a very vivid picture of my neighbor throwing his dog to the ground in their yard and kicking/beating into his ribs extremely hard. This dog was a medium sized mutt..all of probably 40 pounds or so. And mind you these were "good christian people".

I just have no remorse for people who abuse and cause harm to dogs when it is not the dog's fault.

#93 ·
I'm so sorry for what happened to your precious little girl and glad it was no worse than what it is. Medicines today can work wonders and when she's older it will probably be barely visible. I hope she mends quickly and that this does not make her afraid of dogs.

On the other hand I have absolutely no sympathy for you. People like yourself who feel a dog should be put down for being a dog or kicking or otherwise inflicting pain on a dog for something like this. People of this mind-set make me angry and sick to my stomach. The dog has no idea whatsoever why it was kicked! I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd then bitten you ... aggression breeds aggression.

Making a dog pay for the human's mistakes or lack of responsibility is just plain WRONG. When you do something human, say you punch someone out, which is wrong but you've inflicted pain on another human being --- should we put YOU down?

You say you realize that the dog shouldn't have been with your child and you knew it awhile ago. You admit blame but yet you feel the dog should pay the consequences and DIE for YOUR mistake? What is wrong with you? Your child has already taken consequences for you not being responsible in following through with what you say you already knew.

It's entirely possible that at 14yo, this dog isn't seeing or hearing as well as it used to. Your daughter could have inadvertently startled the dog and the dog just reacted.

I'm sorry to sound cruel and harsh but on the other hand that's exactly what you are doing. This is NOT and I repeat NOT the dog's fault. So, grow up, and REALLY accept responsibility don't just say you do. Your words and your "wish" actions are conficting. See to it that you take precautions this never happens again with this or any other dog.

#94 ·
Originally Posted By: lcht2it was at my house i wouldnt have thought twice to put a bullet in his head before i went to the hospital...
Gee, I hope the next time you do something human that results in injury to someone else, that person will think about giving you the same. The HUMAN is to blame here, not the dog. The dog does not deserve to pay the ultimate price for something a human did or didn't do.

I must sound like a real b%^#& and maybe tonight I am. I'm having one of those nights that when I see people making stupid statements like this and wanting or making a dog pay the price for human error it just infuriates me no end. This mentality needs to change all over the place.

We bring dogs into our lives, we EXPECT they understand our ways and what's right or wrong. They DON'T and it's so wrong of humans to expect this of them! They're animals first and foremost and will on occasion revert to animal behaviors. Do we try to understand THEIR language? Not many of us do. Just because they live with us doesn't make them human or any less animal.

After the first bite, there should have been action taken to work on the dog's training and behavior, perhaps more socialization - whatever was needed. Dogs that bite do NOT have to be automitically put down.

Considering how many humans treat dogs, I'm surprised they don't all "pack-up" and "pack up" and go somewhere there aren't any humans, where they are safe from our cruelty, stupidity and lack of willingness to take true responsibility for our own actions.

Also, don't be surprised if one day your Tyson bites someone. Sounds like you are trusting him 100% and that's a huge no-no. One should NEVER trust ANY dog 100%.

#96 ·
Originally Posted By: MXpro982
Like I said before, the MIL has WANTED to get the dog put down for months but can't bring herself to do it.
Has she seen her granddaughter yet? If she truly wanted to put the dog down before...........
Seeing that face I'll bet will tip the scales.
None of us have been spared moments of lack of good judgement, and most of the time we get away with it without something terrible happening. I will not judge you or the dog. That's for Someone far greater than me.
If someone reads this thread and learns something that prevents a similiar situation, that's great. I see that as the point of threads like this, not to bash someone. Of course he's defensive! He's been criticized and judged by people who were not there, did not walk in his shoes, and did not see their beautiful daughter hurt like that.
And again, when you DO put medicine on that area to lessen the appearance of the scars later don't make it clear that's what you're trying to do. Just medicine that she needs, that's all. If you make it into an issue that this is a problem that has to be lessened she will too. And she'll notice it every day and think of it as a flaw.
If the scars are completely gone she won't be able to tell folks she's been in a barfight when she's older

#97 ·
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliIf people on the forum are willing to kick other unleashed dogs that run up to you on walks in order to protect your own dog, how are you different than this parent??
If you are kicking a dog *while* it's attacking, you are protecting you & yours. The dog can understand consequences for it's actions but it must associate the action w/the consequence in order to get the correct idea.

This kick was after the fact out of pure anger and frustration. I'm not convinced the anger and frustration wasn't directed at the OP himself since he knew better and admitted to knowing better. If that's the case he should have been kicking himself and not the dog.

The dog bit and backed off, it was not attacking the child in a vicious rage where Dad's only option was to kick the dog to get it off the child. There is an absolutely huge difference.

#98 ·
I think it's much too easy to say what somebody should have done in a situation. Looking back maybe the OP would have done something differently, maybe not. That's something he will have to decide for himself. It isn't up to any of us.
Having said that, this was a heat of the moment, very charged situation. The OP was not thinking in a 100% purely logical manner, or if he was there's something VERY wrong with him. These situations WILL occur, and the best you can hope for is that things are learned from it.
(which is why I want to thank Shayne for posting it)

#99 ·
Quote:I think we all deserve forgiveness, (not that he has to seek any type of forgiveness from us) when we show regret and remorse. 20/20 Hindsight.
People only deserve our forgiveness when we have proven that we have remorse and are sorry for what we've done. Justification does not = remorse.

#100 ·
Firstly, my comments don't clash. I was with the dog while my wife picked up the baby and I saw the blood dripping down her face! I didn't go up, inspect her, then minutes later kick the dog. I don't regret doing what I did for one second. I love dogs/animals. I love how this thing has turned into a animal abuse case. Cracks me up.

I do not have a temper.. I hardly consider the kick "after the fact".. He was still next to my baby in the kitchen (small area). What did you want me to do? Put my hand down there and direct him out while he bit my hand?? Sorry, first thing was to direct his attention at me but doing so without getting bit was also on my mind. I have used brooms and chairs to try and get him outside and guess what he does to those?? He bites the living crap out of them until he gets outside.

I am not looking to hear if the kick was right or wrong. It was right. Like I said, if he had done this to a dog the dog would have BIT him right back! You all make it sound like I am going to take the dog down myself and have him PTS.. That is not the case. I only said that he was going to be PTS because the owner has wanted to prior to this! And we can't just go out and rent a place, move all of our stuff (again) , and then find a house and re-move again in a month or two. That would be horrible and even harder on our marriage. For now, my MIL is figuring out what to do. But I can tell you that my child and that dog will not be in any form of contact. And I will take my baby and stay with my mom if anyone has a problem with that.

#101 ·
Abuse?? Haha.. This is dumb. The ONLY victim here was my daughter. The dog did was he wanted to do! He wasn't forced into that situation. I seriously feel like not even getting on this boards anymore because I realize how everyone else's opinion means nothing. I have never kicked my dog. But my dog has never bit my baby in the face either. My dog would be gone if that happend. I can always go get another dog, but my baby is the only one Ive got for life. I guess when animal control calls reguarding the bite, I will tell them how I reacted and I guarentee you they won't question my actions.

I am very curious MustLoveGSDs... What would you have done in my shoes??? You look over and see your babies face dripping blood all over and you still have a dog in the kitchen that will bite you if you touch him.. How do you get the threat out in a hurry so you can get to the hospital??!! I thought you b/f was a cop??! Ask him the same question and he will understand why I did what I did. He knows about dealing with the threats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.