New Membership Programs - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherds
It could be a glitch... or it could be that particular user pasted the image of the "premium member". In any case, are smilies working now?
I was the user in question and posted the smiley from the [more] box. The premium member box showed up instead...only happened that one time, but to me it is a warning of things to come. I did not paste the premium member image....

I agree with Chris, why would anyone want to pay for a forum when there are so many others to choose from, they are easier to navigate/less harsh on the eyes?

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #32 (permalink)

Another forum where I've been over 10 years also has paid memberships and I have paid for the past few years. Why do I pay? Because I have many friends there, I know the mods and the owner of the site and understand the costs that were involved. None of the other forums I frequent pale in comparison in terms of the friendships, the moderation, the organization and how visually pleasing the forum is to look at, etc. The forum has no attachment to any company or for-profit venture, it was just one guy who started it probably before I even knew how to use a computer, and over time it grew and grew. I am aware of the costs of running a site like that so the "premium" membership option offered ($12/year) I thought was perfectly fair and a simple way to help offset the cost of a single person maintaining a huge forum/database with over 48,000 members. On that forum (which is also vB but looks WAY better than this one to be honest) Premium membership offered the ability to upload and post photos hosting on the forum (rather than hotlinking, for those that didn't know how or have any other photo account), opened up the PM feature, and the Search feature (that forum has an amazing search function but it's really hard on the server/database if everyone is allowed to search all they want). To me that was easily worth $12/yr. Now that forum has been purchased by a company who has genuinely done a great job of keeping things as they were, but I currently am no longer a paying member because I just don't have the loyalty to a for-profit company that I did to the original owner, plus the Search and PM options have since been opened up to everyone.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

If it comes to the point where I have to pay to just be on here, then I will leave.

But since this has a basic FREE membership, I will stay.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does having a new paid vendor forum have anything to do with the fact that I can't now "close off" sections of the forum. I have closed them a couple of times in the last two days, but when I come back, they are open.

What's up????

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Administrator

Well, the option to become a paid member is there. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade. If you want the extra perks and you feel the costs justify it, by all means go for it. If you're not interested in them, that's fine too.
shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Does having a new paid vendor forum have anything to do with the fact that I can't now "close off" sections of the forum. I have closed them a couple of times in the last two days, but when I come back, they are open.

What's up????
I don't think adding a new forum would effect "closing off" other forums. I could be wrong but I'll look. I've actually never "closed off" forums in all the time I've used vB so this is new to me... hang tight.
shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Last time, when you added the new vendor forum, it opened up all the forums, but then I could close them again.

Later I am going to look in to that particular forum by clicking on it, and see if after that it will allow me to close it, like it did before.

I'm still experimenting

Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope, whatever you guys did when you added the Vendor forum, it messed up being able to close off forums.

I finally find a way to make this board readable, and now that gets messed up

Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lisa what are you having a hard time with? I am rather new to this forum so I'm not sure if maybe they changed something when I joined or I don't get the issue but as far as all of those ads you saw in between each section when I signed up I was able to do an option to ignore all vendor ads. Not sure if that is what you are talking about so they are not in between all the different posts or if you are talking about being able to minimize sections that you have no interest in reading. Like perhaps you only come here for the rescue section so you can minimize all the sections relating to working, agility, herding etc.. so the only thing that shows the different threads is the rescue section. If the latter is what you are trying to do I don't know about that and sorry for butting my nose in if its the first one of the obnoxious ads in between the different posts when I signed up I had to option to never see them and I don't (love that) so possibly you could talk to a moderator or the owner of the site and they can manually do that option for you.
Holmeshx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #40 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Last time, when you added the new vendor forum, it opened up all the forums, but then I could close them again.

Later I am going to look in to that particular forum by clicking on it, and see if after that it will allow me to close it, like it did before.

I'm still experimenting
LisaT, I've never closed off any forums either (but I really only hang out in the 'Quick Links then Todays Posts' )...

Which 'view' do you use all the time? Maybe we can figure it out from there?
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.