A Message from the Admins and Mods - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default A Message from the Admins and Mods

Coming soon... stay tuned and keep hitting F5 on your keyboard.
shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

DO NOT post in here until you see my message. I am working on it feverishly.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Test...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Good morning everyone,

Yung here. Hope you're all having somewhat of a good week.

I've been keeping a close eye on a number of threads started in the past few days and rightfully so.

As I said from the very beginning, my role here is to handle the day-to-day ops of this site from a tech standpoint and to lend my experience in keeping the peace here when the situation calls for it. I have zero experience in terms of owning a dog at a level that most of you are on so you have probably never seen me post in any threads related to discussions about dogs. This will come in handy later on.

There has been so much written back and forth in the past 48 hours, much of it voicing dissatisfaction of how things are done here and how people are treated.

I wanted to address that in the best manner I can. Bear with me. This is going to be long. Also, if you can't handle a post that isn't sugarcoated, STOP READING NOW.

RESPECT and Behaviour

I have been around online communities and offline communities (ha) long enough to have learned a few things. Every community has it's own uniqueness and similarities in values, rules, guidelines and what is or is not acceptable.

I think some of the hurt expressed in the past few days stems from a misunderstanding or misconception of how the community operates here.

One thing I have always known is that people will be protective of what they are passionate about. It can be GSDs, it can be photography (for me), it can be food, it can be fitness and health (like me again) -- pretty much anything.

The very reason why many of you congregate here is because you are passionate about animals, dogs and more specifically, German Shepherds. Make no illusions about this -- there will be and are users on this site who are VERY passionate about their GSD and they make no bones about it.

10 years ago, if I came on this site or a site like this, I would have probably had my arse reamed and handed back to me. I would have not liked it and probably cried foul about it to anyone who would hear. Along the way, something called maturity creeped into my life and I began to understand why some people behave in the manner they do -- it is because they are passionate.

My own immaturity blinded me from seeing that and in all honesty, I missed out on many opportunities to connect with people who I could have been life long friends, who could have supported me in bad times and who I could have gained a tremendous wealth of information from (this was in the in photography and health and fitness circles).

My own immaturity would not allow me to see that others were trying to help me with the very honest feedback I was asking for in because of that, I took offense to it and one thing lead to another.

A whole world of difference maturity makes. Some have it. Some don't. All of us need more of it.

At the same time, this does not give passionate users a blank cheque (ha, notice how I spelled "check" the Canadian way?) to ream out users who are not as passionate, experienced or knowledgeable as you are. It really is a two way street.

For me, I've always operated under this premise: If no one asks for my input, I won't give it. But if someone does ask for my input, I'm going to give it and there's no sugarcoating it baby.

So whether you are a new user or a long standing member, I would advise that you refrain from asking questions in the PUBLIC forums IF (and that's a big IF) you can't handle the truth (thank you Jack).

Instead, why not browse around and get a feel for some of the knowledgeable people around here and perhaps, begin a dialogue with said people in PRIVATE (i.e. email or private messages)? I started doing this a while back ago and I still do this now. I think many of you can attest to my preference for keeping things PRIVATE right?

This helps me segue to something else that caught my attention. If you're reading this, please take this with a grain of salt. I'm not calling anyone out and I mean no disrespect at all.

I have rarely (if ever) seen any good come out of a thread created to announce your departure from an online community because of unsettled differences, hurt, anger, bitterness, etc.

The only time I have seen this work favorably is when a user announces they are leaving the community because they have personal matters to deal with (i.e. someone in the family is sick, they got a new job, etc.) Even then, there were a few crows pecking at their feet trying to bring them down.

The reason why I'm saying this is because every time I come across one of these threads, whether it's on this site or any online community I manage or am a part of, I CRINGE. Really, I do.

Here's are some reasons why you shouldn't exit this way.. they are my reasons because I've done this before:

- nobody really cares (sorry, it's the truth)

- you're burning bridges (remember, communities like this one are a huge breeding ground (excuse the pun) for making contacts with people that can help you now AND in the FUTURE)

- nobody really cares (sorry, it's still the truth)

- you potentially end up looking like an arse (imagine down the road, you meet up with people offline who ironically visit this place online quite a bit... now you're faced with how do you get back into this community without people calling you out?)

For me, I would rather users FOR THEIR OWN GOOD not post any kind of "I'm leaving thread" in our community. In fact, this is something I will speak to the mods/admins about adding in as a rule of sorts.

If you are going to leave, do it quietly. If you must bash this site, people on this site, and the admins/mods, do it in a PM.

The admins/mods here are not naive to think that there will be no friction on this site. In any kind of group setting, there always will be. They have and will always do their best to keep the peace around here in an unbiased manner.

Speaking of the admins/mods....
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

test
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Admins and Mods

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you are entitled to."

- A Few Good Men

Firstly, let me say that the admins/mods are all about the truth. Obviously, I'm trying to use a little tongue-and-cheek to defuse the emotions from the past few days here with the memorable quote from a very good movie.

However, there is a lot that applies from that quote to our admins/mods. That is, they do one **** of a job that is both thankless and under-appreciated for the most part.

I think sometimes, as users, we forget that the admins/mods are like us -- humans with emotions. Yes, they are held to a higher standard and they are to lead the community in their behaviour. For 99.9% of the time, they do. There is that rare rare rare occurrence where they've posted something that seems out of the expectations of someone in their position.

However, without jumping to conclusions, I invite you to see the whole picture and put yourself in their shoes for that one instance. I find it laughable a best that some users expect the admins/mods to behave in a manner that they themselves do not think applies to them... it's like we're playing the same game but the rules don't apply to some users.

I have said it again and I will say it again and again till the cows come home or the Leafs win the Cup -- I have ZERO issues with how the mods and admins do things around here. I've mentioned to some of you in private that it's probably for the better that they handle most of the day-to-day activities around here than me because they know you guys better and that helps with how they moderate the community. Me, I'm a black and white kind of guy.

If you're unhappy with something an admin/moderator is doing, I'm one PM away... however, you better have one **** of a case to report. I'm serious about this. If I listened and took action on every complaint about the admins/mods, we wouldn't have any around here. Someone is always going to have an axe to grind with them so if you come to me with a complaint based on some kind of a grudge from years ago, sorry but it's not going to do much good.

Finally, to put things to rest: No we are not going to have a vote on who is part of the admin/mod team. Voting is by far a popularity contest (for all you American Idol fans, you know what I mean). If you know of someone or even yourself who should be considered to be added to the admin/mod team, send anyone of us a PM and state your case. I will tell you this -- anytime a discussion about adding someone to the team has been brought up between us, there is a lot of thought and honesty put into it. They do NOT pick their friends -- they pick the people who are best qualified to keep this place as a good as it is.

That is all. I'm pooped. Sorry for such a long message.

I invite everyone and anyone to express their concerns (IN A RESPECTFUL manner) or provide feedback and ideas on how to improve things around here. Not every idea will be used so please do not be offended if your idea doesn't see the light of day.

Thank you again all

Yung

P.S. if your idea is to replace me or the admins/mods..well, let's just say you might not hear back from me about it for a looooonnnng time.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

thread is open now for replies.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Getting Upset and leaving a community is not doing anything but hurting you. I am on a forum that i think the mods treat the community like children and act like they are god and I don't much appreciate that. On the other hand when I need help (photography) I know I can go there and gets answers very quick by knowledgeable people. If I were to leave that forum it would hurt me (my photography) and would have very little effect on them, so what would I be proving? So when things are said or done that aggravate me I just go to another thread and forget about. Most of the time in a community forums such as this you are replaceable if you don't like leave and keep it to yourself.
fightin14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherds View Post
thread is open now for replies.
......well said and appreciate the issue being addressed.....

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Very nice post, I can see why it took so long to write.

Loki Von Hena-C, Sable GSD DOB 8/8/09
Visit Loki's Dogster page

~*Maya Von Hena-C, Red Sable DOB 3/02, living with my ex*~
~*RIP Hunter Von Hena-C, Black Sable GSD, 10 yrs*~
~*RIP Harley, my 1st GSD, 7 yrs*~
My breeder - Von Hena-C
Nicnivin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.