German Shepherds Forum banner

Best and Worst qualities of your dog(s)

7K views 57 replies 34 participants last post by  jafo220 
#1 ·
Wanted to start a fun and light hearted topic. Please post the best and worst qualities of your dog(s) as far as behavior and personality.

I'll go first.

Captain:

Best: friendly to all

Worst: friendly to all hahah

Your turn!

#2 ·
Best:
Lena- super snuggler
Phoster- always happy
Nix- when he lays his head on my chest and stares up at me.

Worst-
Lena- hyper focusing on the cats
Phoster- obsessed with food
Nix- he acts like a tool to his sisters

Now this is straight personality. If you asked about training and work the answers would differ. But this is them at home, when my bum is on the couch.

#4 ·
Fun thread! These are based on them at home, not working.

Best:

Isen - when he rolls on his back playing innocent
Red - laying his head on my shoulder as if to hug me
Gypsy - snuggler

Worst:

Isen - So darn independent
Red - can be a very dramatic
Gypsy - Incredibly stubborn

#8 ·
My dogs Past and Present:

In order of acquiring:

Gunther (BullMastiff/APBT/Lab)
Best: Loyalty/Devotion and a great roll model for all his furry house mates and loved people!
Discipline under pressure!!
worst: other dogs and him required "management" but it was easily accomplished!

Studdell (White Boxer)
Best: Loved People!! Halloween was her favorite time of year! And company was a good time to be had by all!

Worst:Uh...she loved people and company was a good time yo be had by all!!

Women were uh rather cold shouldered to her (personally I think were jealous of her good looks and girly figure.) But the men...melted, discipline.. out the window!

Go to Bed was "always" met with aww it's OK! And the licking and bouncing and giggling and smiles began! She slept with our guest and sat in the window for hours when folks had to leave!

Rocky (GSD)

Worst: Rank Drive Gunther bore the brunt of my learning curve! :(
People issues...not a fan of company but got that down from growling and a cold hard stare to..."great to see you...when you leaving."
Not a fan of 10 and under!

Best:Loyalty and devotion and safe in public!

#22 ·
Rocky (GSD)

Worst: Rank Drive Gunther bore the brunt of my learning curve! :(
People issues...not a fan of company but got that down from growling and a cold hard stare to..."great to see you...when you leaving."
Not a fan of 10 and under!

Best:Loyalty and devotion and safe in public!
Well my pup isn't finished growing but so far:

Best: He can learn anything within only a few tries, and he jumps halfway on the bed to wake me up every morning with slimy kisses :p

Worst: He is spoiled, rotten. We are working on this.

Don't know how I could forget!! a best quality! Rocky is freaking brilliant! He taught me that I had taught him the on the lawn command!

I also have to be very aware of "not" accidentally teaching him things! Not drinking after meals...means no drinking water!!!!????

Back door is "not" a "threshold" that needs a release command like the front door???

I have to be very "aware" of what I'm doing with him! Oh and tons of "non verbal" communication we understand each other with a look!

#13 ·
I like this topic, very original
Shasta's Best quality:
Shasta has no aggression towards any people what so ever, she is completely trustworthy around anyone and in any situation. She's just a really gentle, nice dog.

her worst quality is that she is extremely anxious/nervous. It's gotten better with old age but she still hardly ever relaxes

#15 ·
Summer's best - smart, loving, extremely happy and fun fulled, loves all people and just melts their hearts with her exuberance that they are alive and walking this earth.

Needs work - excitable, stubborn and she's pushy right now (I mean literally). Shoves past me to go out, always asking for things, drops her toys on the coffee table in front of me, brings her empty bowl to me and puts it on my foot, drops the empty Kong on my foot (hurts, suckers heavy!). 9mo old typical trials.

This however, if why I love the GSD breed, they're thinkers, they interact in our lives in a big way. Not some docile lap dog.:shocked:

#17 ·
Cajun style,love it:)
Samson. best Loyal,cuddly,focused
worst Eats poop,hates strangers

Misty. best Sweet tempered,playful
. .....worst terrible recall, wants to run forever

Devon. best I am his universe
worst likes to torment Samson

#18 ·
Kaiju's Worst: In the morning my head is apparently the comfiest seat in the house and Kaiju's butt must be on it no matter how many times I shove him off the bed. :crazy:

Kaiju's Best: He seems to think I'm the best thing that's ever walked the earth. Even though I know that's not true, I don't think he'll ever stop thinking that way. :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Lucky:
B: ADORED kids more than life and limb
W: Was a nerve bag with any strangers past puberty

Shania:
B: Was not afraid of anything and knew she ruled the universe (but wasn't a tiny tyrant about it) (alpha's don't have to prove anything with aggression)
W: Bonded to my dad more than me; the health problems were pretty crummy too

#21 · (Edited)
Well my pup isn't finished growing but so far:

Best: He can learn anything within only a few tries, and he jumps halfway on the bed to try and wake me up every morning with slimy kisses :p (gross I know but I find it kinda cute)

Worst: He is spoiled, rotten. We are working on this.

#31 ·
This is also my Jade's worst trait. She, too, does the lick, but she also does it if she smells poop that she wants to tackle. My solution is to immediately scoop it up and dispose of it as soon as they go, for both dogs (Orick ignores poop, but I don't want her starting on his, too). Jade is a retired brood bitch, and the breeder who gave her to me says that can easily become a habit with females used to cleaning up after puppies. Regardless, it's something I can't allow because of my sister's immune system (I know Miss Jade eats rabbit poop too, but I'm at least trying to lessen the odds, lol).

As far as nighttime, Jade goes out on a leash then, and if she poops, I go out in the am before I let them out and clean it up. For a while I thought I had broken her habit, but she went back to it, so I guess this is a lifetime routine for her.

Susan

#32 ·
I guess with Jade, her best quality, in a sense, is being able to 'let her hair down' and just be a silly dog, without having to be kenneled and raise puppies, although the breeder does not breed her females a lot. Still, it was rewarding to see her open up and just enjoy herself.

Susan

#33 ·
Fritz - Best, handsome, happy go lucky! Plays ball, no agression with people or dogs, great hips.
Worst, eats poop (sometimes), picky eater, has selective hearing, is a digger, won't stop terrorizing the cats, jumps on the bed but not into the suv..
But I love him:D

#34 ·
Kyleigh

Best - I am her world - there is nothing this dog won't do - if I can figure out how to teach her, she'll do it!

Worst - I never like to compare dogs, but Ky did not fit in with my cat and parrot like my other dog LOL ... so I don't have those happy "let curl up on the couch" moments with the parrot on my should, cat on my lap, and the dog snoozing at my feet! (She's fine with the cat now, but would likely still eat my parrot!)

#38 ·
You can be jealous all you want LMAO ... she is super messy, very demanding, can be rude, and loud and can take the household from dead silence to sounding like a rock concert in about 3 seconds flat!!!

Yes, I love my African Grey, and her safety is paramount!!! It's definitely a huge commitment, but I wanted a pet that wasn't going to die on me after 10-12 years (like most dogs :mad:)

#36 ·
Best: Everything, she's exactly what I'd hoped.

Worst: Labors under the delusion that she is my husband's dog. (But really, given that he was the one she needed to win over because I wanted her more than he did, it is actually great that they are best friends.)

Overall, she's just really a great dog for us, and I couldn't be happier with her. She only gets to be more fun as she gets older.

#37 ·
Reagan
Best: She's extremely devoted to me and loves being next to me. I also love the way she burrows up against me. :)
Worst: Her extreme anxiety causes both of us a lot of stress and frustration. But her medication is starting to help and we're seeing progress!

Didi
Best: She's very tiny and compact for a lab (45 pounds) and she loves everything and everyone!

Worst: She's TOO food motivated. I can't train her without being covered in drool haha

Bandit
Best: He is so happy and very cuddly. He is the type of dog that could run a marathon if you wanted, but is also content to lay in bed with you all day if you choose. Very versatile.

Worst: He has submissively urinated when greeting new people since we adopted him. We were hoping it would go away over time by ignoring it, but I'm still not sure. It has improved some though. It frustrates me because he would be an excellent therapy dog with his temperament if we could get him past the urination thing!

#40 ·
Frankie
Best - sweetheart, happy girl, listens well, loves everyone
Worst - weak nerve, gets a little too excited when people visit

Nox
Best - complete confidence, happy guy, loves everyone
Worst - can be a tool to his sister, harasses the cats, a little full of himself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.