German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - how I spent my summer
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
carmspack
Crowned Member

Default how I spent my summer

since it's Sept and back to school kids start off with the classic essay "how I spent my summer" .

feel free to join in .

As told to me -- one lazy Aug day , a kids' day camp was treated to a visit from a local zoo. The handlers and the animals are experienced in doing school visitations -- enjoyed by all . Routine . Except this time !
One of the animals escaped and went on the run .
Two and a half hours after frantic attempts to find and corral this beast , help was called in.
That help was a dog named Badger .
Badger had been used a while back to track and locate a pet dog that had gone missing. The track included miles along a spring-sloppy busy road way, across fields and farm yards, standing water , paved road , stone road - you name it - plus the dog was a moving target that went around in circles and doubled back -- but a good 10 miles later the dog was found and returned to his owner.

So Badger arrives at the day camp . The handlers let him sniff the carrying crate with bedding . He sniffs, he sneezes a few times , then spins on his heels and instantly goes into a strong focused track .

After 28 minutes -- the escapee is located and the handler is happily reunited , the animal popped into the crate .

All happy.

By coincidence I happened to visit Badger's owner within the hour of his returning to his home. Much excitement. The cell phone and texts were constant , retelling the tale . Word spreads fast .

Badger's brother -- Blast -- also a super tracker - ( Blast has just earned his Tracking Champion title after passing his UTDX Oct.21/12 at just 3 years of age! Blast earned his UTD, TDX and UTDX all in 2012, quite a feat! ) so a family trait .

So what beast was Badger tracking ?
A Fennec Fox . A tiny dessert fox with huge ears .
LA Zoo Delivers Your Fennec Fox Fix - ZooBorns

I had no idea that they were popular pets , lots of breeders of Fennec foxes in the United Kingdom .
Seems like the best of the dog and the best of the cat rolled into one . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHXZaAuafI

So Badger finds the Fox . http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...rmspack-badger

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote