German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - First Raw Feeding
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
sterlingmaloryarcher

If he's just starting out, he'll need some extra bone until he adjusts. I have a 5 month old and I rotate between chicken quarters, drumsticks, and necks. I follow prey model raw and they suggest to stick with chicken backs for the first 2-3 days. Their getting started guide is excellent. Then after the third day, alternate between chicken backs and leg quarters (I have to cut the quarter in half to feed to my dog). Transitioning dogs will need more bone in the beginning, but monitor his poop to make sure he's not getting constipated from too much bone. I would stay away from any totally boneless meals for a while, and even then, some dogs have to have bone in every meal.

I personally don't worry too much about my dog mouthing me or licking me (although he doesn't do much of either anymore), since a dog's saliva contains lysozyme, which destroys bacteria. And since he doesn't have plaque from the raw feeding, there isn't really a good place for bacteria to live. But my boyfriend doesn't want the dog licking him because of the raw chicken, so it's really whatever is comfortable for you. I personally figure that if I was going to get sick from a dog, it would be from any number of other things that he does/eats/licks outside, and I haven't yet gotten sick from any of my dogs.

I do wipe down the crate after he finishes eating with a lysol wipe, and I wash the bowl between feedings. Generally treat the chicken like you would your prep for regular meals (washing your hands, wiping down counters, etc) and you shouldn't have too many problems.
sterlingmaloryarcher is offline   Reply With Quote