German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for winter training venues?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Castlemaid
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Default Suggestions for winter training venues?

Maybe I can get some help thinking outside the box - our club is once again looking for an appropriate venue we can book once a week for training. The facility agility that we used to use has hit us with a No Prong Collars Allowed Anywhere on the Property, including the parking lot. And now they are complaining about the barking too.

We're not in a big town, so we are pretty limited in what is available to us. We did a few years ago rent a covered riding arena - NEVER AGAIN! The footing was sand, and it was terrible!!! It got into everything, covered everything. It was not heated, so after a few bites, the tugs, wedges and sleeves froze solid and were no better than doing bite-work with ice-chunks. Some dogs would not bite a sand-covered frozen solid sleeve, even though they were normally sleeve-fiends. Dealing with the cold and the sand just wasn't worth it.

Most places we can think of to rent would be places like gymnasiums or community halls, which have either linoleum type flooring or hardwood flooring that is too hard and slippery to work the dogs. A few other dog-training places with nice rubberized and/or non-slip flooring are very small (classes at those places are set up for 5 or 6 dogs at a time max.).

The one thing I can think of is an indoor heated riding arena with wood chips or hog fuel for footing, if there is such a place in the area. I don't know what the downside of training on such a surface would be - though again, the wood chips could well just cover everything and get into everything.

Warehouses and such would have cement floors, so again, not appropriate for us.

Just hoping from some brainstorming - this winter training problem seems to get bigger every year!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote