German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - 3 mistakes you've made
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Pax8
Elite Member

1. Before I researched dog nutrition, my family fed all our dogs Beneful. I used to think constant itch and loose hair was just part of being a dog. Glad I did research when I got older. My family still feeds crap brands, but all my dogs will be raw fed from here on out.

2. Relationship building was not a thing when I was a kid. I sort of stumbled into building a working relationship with a rottweiler when I trained him to be a herding dog. But all my family's other dogs were basically furry furniture that we fed. I get sad sometimes when I realize they missed out on a lot of what makes a dog/human relationship great. And I missed out on a lot of it.

3. Our dogs all ate all kinds of terrible stuff around the property. My family wasn't exactly dog-smart so if a dog got himself into some rope and got it bound up in his guts, we didn't think to take him to a vet. Dogs typically didn't fare well on our property unless they stayed to themselves. Anything smaller than a collie inevitably was eaten by coyotes and anything larger ended up fatally injuring itself or consuming something fatal.

Overall, I'm glad I've grown so much and learned a mountain's worth of infortmation since that time. It's definitely helped me become a better dog owner. Also glad I've found my passion in dog training. I still think back sometimes though and I'm always disappointed in how little common sense 12 year old me seemed to possess.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome