German Shepherds Forum banner

help with fish oil capsules...

4K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  gsdsar 
#1 ·
Hello i have a 3 year old german shepherd, called Alfie. :)
I've heard that you can give your dogs human grade fish oil.. What should/shouldn't you look for when buying them and would you say salmon oil is better? or just omega 3 fish oil?

I've been looking at these two and wondered if these would be ideal? and if so how many would you guys suggest?
Holland & Barrett Omega 3 Fish Oil Concentrate Capsules 1000mg | Holland & Barrett - the UK's Leading Health Retailer

Holland & Barrett Salmon Oil Capsules 1000mg | Holland & Barrett - the UK's Leading Health Retailer

Any advice would be appreciated!
:D

#3 ·
I agree, I don't like when ingredients are vaguely named. From my research salmon, mackeral, and sardines seem to be the 'go to' fish with the most benefits.

#7 ·
I give Happy and Lux one capsule over their food every night of this, should I be giving them more or less? View attachment 254697 View attachment 254705
I've been giving 3000 MG a day per dog, I did almost buy that same supplement at Costco but then noticed it only had 300MG of Omega 3....what the heck is the rest of it? I bought one that was more expensive but said 1000MG Omega 3

#9 ·
I've also been researching fish oil. So far, I've read that there can be "too much? of a good thing on some levels in humans - causing vision problems etc.

Also, with anything "fish" condensed - Mercury is a concern I have. I'm having trouble finding anything really - that addresses either of these two issues with supplementing a dog's diet with fish oil. I can't start giving this on a regular basis until I know there are no long term "more harm than good effects".

#10 ·
Many human brands add in vitamin A and D. Don't use those. The can cause toxicosis.

For cardiac patients we recommend 40mg/kg EPA and 25mg/kg DHA. This is significantly higher than recommended for normal non cardiac use. So a 90lb dog would about 1600mg EPA and 950 DHA. (I did not use a calculator). 3000mg seems very excessive.

Nordic Naturals is an excellent brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.