German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - The ALS "ice bucket" challenge and dogs. Sigh
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
selzer
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iIrishSean View Post
Is it really so bad to slowly poured cold water on your dog in this Texas summer heat? I mean i understand throwing a bucket full straight in their face and scaring them, but i poured the remaining ice water from a cooler on my girl the other day and she was waggin and did not seem to have a complaint. I mean I have seen dogs in 3 feet of snow doing just fine so it cant be a temperature issue.
Yes dogs in snow are fine, but they are accustomed to it. If it is 90 to 100 degrees out there and suddenly you have something dousing you that is below 32 degrees, it can be a shock to your system. Humans can do what they like, they can prepare themselves for a cold dousing. In fact people up here go and jump in the lake in February, crazy loons, it is usually around 0 here in February. They call the the polar bear plunge.

But you can't prepare a dog to be suddenly doused with ice on a hot day. I think it is sickening. Can it kill a dog? I don't know. But beating it with a stick isn't likely to kill it either. I think I would rather get a few smacks with a stick than a bucket of ice water poured over me.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote