German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Pup - she's going to be huge! Help
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stonevintage

Default New Pup - she's going to be huge! Help

Hi Everyone! I just joined the site after reading hundreds of great posts. I just got my (not so little) girl from some folks out in the country yesterday. Went to the vet today and got some surprising news.

I this is my 3rd GSD. First 2 were males - one lived to be 13.5 the other 14.5. They were on the small side for males (under 65 lbs). I just received news from my vet that my new girl is likely to top out over 85 pounds. Apparently she is JUMBO SIZED. (other female in litter is the runt - my girl weighed in with the 5 boys at 25 lbs @ 10.5 weeks. First breeding with a 70 lb female and 100 lb male.

Yikes! She is 10.5 weeks old and weighs 25 lbs. I have two burning questions. 1- I am concerned about the size she will be re: the hip issue (should I try to keep her super trim always?. 2- I'm a female too and about to turn 60 years old.... My past GSD's have never pulled on the leash (with my training only) - did I just get lucky or is it possible that this "BIG" girl may pull me down the sidewalk with my legs flapping in the breeze?

Any information would be very helpful. I'm afraid I don't have the $ for a professional trainer or the transportation to get to classes (don't drive) but an online training method may work and be needed. THANKS!
Stonevintage is offline   Reply With Quote