German Shepherds Forum banner

When do they start to really fill out?

13K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  myshepharley 
#1 ·
Zeus is turning 1 in less than 2 weeks, he is still VERY long and lanky. I keep getting told that he is skinny and I must be starving my boy which IS not the case. He is healthy and lean. But When do they actually become filled out?

#2 ·
I noticed a big difference at 2 years :)

#4 ·
My male filled out 3-4 years. He just turned 6 and this is the first summer that he's blown his coat and still looked like an adult male DOG and not a lanky, naked adolescent.

#6 ·
My GSD intact bitch just turned 2 and I recently noticed she has finally filled out. My neighbor who has watched her grow over the 2 years just stated yesterday that she is filling out as well....

Regardless of when they do...a leaner/lankier dog which is healthy, certainly is better than the converse.

SuperG

#8 ·
GSD's are a lot like horses. Each is different based on breeding, gender, ect. Tell people to mind their own business. I get told the same thing about Arson who is 9 months old and 80lbs. because he's all legs. Reminds me of a yearling colt honestly (Can you tell i'm a horse trainer?)....

#10 ·
OMG if people are telling you guys you're starving your dogs what would they say about mine? He's 10 months old, 50lbs. He can fly though ;)

Arson looks very lively!

#11 ·
My vet told me between 2 and 3. I was very concerned since she looked so scrawny. Indie is 18 months now and is finally looking less and less like a gangly teenager. She was 58 lbs at 13 months and is probably not too more than that now. All muscle as far as I can tell. Her sire and dam were very lean as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.