German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Book Rec: "Rabid: A Cultural History..."
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Magwart
Elite Member

Default Book Rec: "Rabid: A Cultural History..."

I recently listed to the Audiobook of Wasik & Murphy's book Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus.

It was an excellent, fascinating book--I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend it to dog lovers -- no matter where you fall in the vax debate, there's a lot of intriguing history here.

Among other things, it connects rabies outbreaks to the emergence of medieval vampire, werewolf, and zombie myths. It traces the hunt for a vaccine and (more recently) a cure, and it works through the long, dark relationship between this virus and humanity. It's less about the science of the virus than the way the virus has imprinted itself on cultural history for thousands of years (though there is plenty of science history recounted too).

It's a good read for a long road trip. Here it is:

Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus: Bill Wasik, Monica Murphy: 9780670023738: Amazon.com: Books Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus: Bill Wasik, Monica Murphy: 9780670023738: Amazon.com: Books
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote