German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Berlin at Sch Club - FINALLY barked!
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Anubis_Star
Elite Member

Default Berlin at Sch Club - FINALLY barked!

Berlin has been doing great. His obedience is really coming together nicely, we've been working on really cleaning up his heel work, positioning, and long downs. Hopefully at our spring trial we'll get our BH! I feel like our training is going a lot slower than it should, but I have to keep reminding myself he is my first ever working line dog and this is my first time doing any kind of canine sport. Can't be too hard on myself

He's an absolute joy to work with, just always happy go lucky

Our biggest obstacle so far though has been NO BARKING! He just doesn't bark. The few times he has barked (out my car window usually) it has scared me half to death. Very loud, deep, intimidating, haha. But at club, with the decoy, NOTHING. He just stands there, staring at him, like "what are you doing? Can I have that pillow already??" My trainer has been saying he thinks the hardest part with Berlin would be that he is TOO calm and stable. Nothing phases him. Decoy jumps out from behind a blind, he says "so what, can I bite that sleeve now?"

We tried posting while the decoy intimidated him behind the blind. Nothing. Then we tried posting him next to an adult female that will just not shut up on the field haha, then alternating between both dogs with the bite pillow on a long line. Nothing. A few whines, one or two short yips, that was it. After several sessions of that, we again tried intimidation with the decoy. This time pushing Berlin a bit harder. He got snarky for sure, snapped and grumbled, but no barks. FINALLY though, last Sunday, The decoy again tried intimidating him while I posted him. Stared him down real good, few good snaps on the whip. Berlin got a little antsy, definitely wondering what was going on.

Suddenly the decoy took off and ran behind the blind. I let Berlin pull me in until about 5 feet outside of the blind. And SUCCESS, that "chase" was enough to bring out a few big deep barks! The club was all cheering, I was smiling like a dam fool. Decoy ran in and out a few times, we got about 6-7 really nice barks, rewarded with the sleeve, and ran off.

Maybe stupid to brag about but I was so proud of the giant doofus. Who would of thought my biggest issue with a german shepherd would be getting him to bark

Here's a few pictures we snapped.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote