German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - I Think I Failed; Another Perspective on Giving My GSD the Best Life...
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Adelaide's_Dad

Default I Think I Failed; Another Perspective on Giving My GSD the Best Life...

I don't mean for such a dramatic subject line, but it is what it is. As I approach Adelaide's 4th month (I've had her for about 7 weeks now). I have to ask the question of whether or not she can get a better life with someone else.

I blame myself fully for not researching the particulars of raising a GSD. I should have come to this site BEFORE I got her, not after. I've had nothing but adult sighthounds and we all know how that's a completely different ballgame as they say...

So, here's what it boils down to given the recent change in my household: she can spend most her day in an x-pen and/or crate, with a newly hired dog walker to take her out for 1/2 hour around lunch while I'm at work. I'd probably spend a 1/2 hour with her before I head off to work, and about 2-3 hours when I get back. So that makes about 20 hours of confinement of some degree during weekdays.

I guess the question really is: what is a realistic expectation to get to the point I could leave her home to roam about most of the day like my other hounds? Six months, a year, two years?

My inclination is that this really isn't fair to her, or is that perfectly fine for a GSD for a few months/year? I've really no idea, I just need to do what's best for her before we really start bonding...

For whatever it's worth, we do take her to weekly training classes at PetSmart, and I take her to the dog park mostly every evening to play ball with me and such, and to socialize.

Thank you,

Last edited by Adelaide's_Dad; 08-24-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Adelaide's_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote