German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Alpha Female or Dog Aggresive?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
MrWes

Default Alpha Female or Dog Aggresive?

Hello all, I've been visiting this forum for almost a year now. I've gotten a lot of help & training advice from from the posts. Here is a little bit about myself, I'm 24 years old, I have a 3 year old son and my wife. We live in a 2 story town home, so no back yard, but we do have a garage! lol..

Now onto my dogs, I have a almost 5 year old intact 120lbs male GSD he's of DDR bloodline(I have his pedigree). He is the most laid back, lazy dog, and has very little tug/ball drive. He does love to chase cats and small rodents though. I couldn't ask for a better dog. Very high threshold, I trust him entirely. Not very interested in other dogs or people. When we go to the park he just marks his territory and goes on about his business, ignoring everyone else. Although I wouldn't recommend a stranger to ever walk into my house without my there. I've had him since he was 8months old.

So I was looking around to add another GSD to my pack, just so happens I found a very nice looking female, Czech bloodline and 8 months old. The person I got her from was gonna start a a PP program with GSDs', but decided to switch to BM instead. I've had her for a week, she bonded well with my older GSD. We started training right away. She is off leash trained and doing good bite work, I've trained her in Japaneses and English commands. Well recently I've been trying to socialize her at the dog park and trails.

Here is the problem(sorry for rambling so much), she seems to get a long with some males, others she'll try to lay her head on their neck in a dominating way, when I saw this I scolded her and had her sit. 5 minutes later I let her go and she tried it again, at that point we left. Also, she seems to dislike other female dogs with small to moderate aggression. Again I scold her and correct her attention to me.

What kind of behavior is this? Is it due to her doing bite work or is she trying to be Alpha Female? Or is she becoming DA? I'm not sure what to do at this point on stopping this behavior.
MrWes is offline   Reply With Quote