German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD's Do not approve..

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
A few days ago I was walking ty down the road and we were behind a woman doing door to door things, she stopped and looked down at her phone and we continued on by but ty was weirdly staring at her and as the words " come on" were leaving my mouth her thru down a full on hackles up bark fest, it stopped the minute I said no and I did not think to much of it because we have crossed lotsa people since but tonight he pulled the same crap with a man sitting still on his lawn chair and with the hackles up also. This has happened now with 2 people not moving, why is this? Again tonight we passed many of people, even this man that walked behind us for a while. .he was very interested in him and turned around alot to look at the guy but no barks, when I came home we met the paper boy and zip nadda nothing, perfectly happy ty except for his weird episode with the unmoving lawn chair guy.

#3 ·
sometimes i wonder if they sense something we don't... the breeder our GSD is from, for example, won't sell any of her puppies to people that her adult GSDs don't "take" to. if her adult dogs aren't friendly towards the people, she assumes there is *something* off about them. she told me it's only happened twice, but she feels better safe than sorry. (of course we didn't know this when we met her and her pack-- thank goodness they liked us ;) ) who knows!

#4 ·
I wonder too if it's something they sense. Not necessarily that they are a bad person but maybe some sort of illness or mental thing going on... a perfume, cologne, smell of some sort or even if they aren't a good person. I know that Titan has been fine with everyone for the longest time and one day he nipped a man.. for a reason unknown to me. He never did it before and hasn't done it since. We went to a one on one trainer for it afterward and she said she honestly feels like it was something about the guy that set him off because he was absolutely stable and well tempered and that was the concensus of a couple trainers too. *shrugg* IMO sometimes they just sense something.

#5 ·
Ty is weird. I do not think its a vision problem, he sees bunnies from 5 houses away. A few months ago a child grabbed him out if the blue while I was walking him, a full on hug from a strange child, I think myself and the toddlers mom both had moments of heart failure but ty just continued on as if nothing had happened. So toddler hugs is okay but how dare you stop to read a text msg. I guess I just have an odd ball but I was curious if anyone else had a dog that reacted weirdly to movements or lack there off.

#6 ·
Hmm.. Thinking about it like that.. Titan reacts to voices.. if that makes sense. Like our neighbors can be outside doing whatever and he doesn't care, and I know he sees them, there is usually a pause and stare then moving on, but as soon as they say something to eachother, or especially to me, he starts barking.

Chalked it up as a weird quirk or some protection thing. Maybe he just doesn't like them being still, he feels everyone should be moving around! :p

#9 ·
Anything unnatural can/will cause such a reaction.

A person approaching a glass door, hesitating, then backing up will send my older shepherd into a barking fit because that's *weird*. People come through the door, not approach and back up hesitantly.

#10 ·
Watch two dogs that are unsure/unknown to one another. If one of them freezes up during initial greeting it's going one of two ways, intense play or all out fight. A human going dead stop while walking and refusing eye contact or recognition of your presence is a strong signal that it's about to go down.

I run at mine and freeze up last second, hands out in a "grabby" stance. My dogs go ballistic, they know a good rough play session is at hand.

#11 ·
Watch two dogs that are unsure/unknown to one another. If one of them freezes up during initial greeting it's going one of two ways, intense play or all out fight. A human going dead stop while walking and refusing eye contact or recognition of your presence is a strong signal that it's about to go down.

I run at mine and freeze up last second, hands out in a "grabby" stance. My dogs go ballistic, they know a good rough play session is at hand.
Interesting to think about.. I do the same with Titan... run around and all of a sudden stop.. then he freezes too and comes after me (playing). And I now that you mention it, I do remember the few times Titan has not been thrilled with another dog at greeting was when they both froze.. hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.