German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - My Buddy (non-GSD) was attacked...
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
MykieYPR

Exclamation My Buddy (non-GSD) was attacked...

(Apologies in advance for the lengthy thread)

Hi everyone, I'd like for you all to meet Buddy. Although he's not a Shepherd, he is your ideal dog. He's been an angel since day one and to this day has not done one thing wrong...

My Buddy (non-GSD) was attacked...-buddy.jpg

But the sad news is that yesterday on our walk together, he was attacked. A lady was walking her dog on the opposite side of the street and apparently has a history of animal aggression. It started to flail and tug and eventually snapped its leash. It darted across the street and pounced on Buddy. It happened so quickly, I didn't even have time to react. All I could think of to do was grab the other dog. It had Buddy by the skin behind its neck and was shaking him viciously. I lifted the dog in the air by the back of its collar, which choked him enough to let go.

His owner brought him back inside and came out with all of her contact information. I was in tears. Buddy didn't appear to be in the slightest bit of pain... no limp, no whimpering, no blood, no hiding behind me. He plays rough with my aunt's dog a lot, so I figured he wasn't really phased, or didn't know what happened. I checked him 3 times, no injuries.

I called my aunt (she lives down the street) and she came right up and helped call the police for an incident report. After everything, we went to the hospital because during the scuffle, I was attacked in the process while pulling them apart. My skin didn't break, but I was bit on my hand and have contusions (bruises on the bones), a scratch on my arm, and my shoulder is sore. On the drive home, we got a call from my grandparents who I live with and they told me Buddy is now bleeding. I got home and found the he did in fact have a bite mark. It was a small puncture from the dog's tooth, it didn't bleed right away and was in an odd area (behind his shoulder area). So I cleaned him up and now because of the fact that skin had been broken, we had to call the police back so they can contact animal control.

They came, checked Buddy out, chatted for a bit, and told me he should be alright and to take him the vet if he seems sick, in pain, or acting weird in the morning.

Morning came and he was still okay. He was really sluggish acting and only had some dry blood on his fur. I cleaned him up again and went to work (I have a pet care service business - I was dog sitting for the day). Again on my way home, my grandparents called me and told me he's bleeding again. I got home, checked him out... same as yesterday. I was concerned though so I brought him to the vet. They shaved the area down, cleaned him up, and found that he had a little bit of fluid backup in the area. So they gave him an antibiotic shot and prescription meds to take twice a day. They said it's nothing major, and the swelling should go down in the next day or so, and that he'll be okay.

My Buddy (non-GSD) was attacked...-buddyvet.jpg

BUT

What I really want to talk about is this: I can NOT get the picture out of my head... Every time I think about it or explain the incident to someone, I have to close my eyes and cringe at the part where the aggressive dog broke off the leash. Last night I couldn't sleep... I had nightmares of the dog coming around corners while I was walking Buddy. I kept jumping up out of a sound sleep. And all day today, I had the same issue with these flashbacks. I can't get the image out of my mind... my dog being attacked... me screaming "NO! NO! NO!" I just can't shake it. If one of my grandparents had been walking him at the time, they wouldn't have been able to jump in like I did. Buddy could have/would have been killed... I can't stop thinking about it. My heart has not slowed down since yesterday when it happened.

What do you suggest that I do? The owners of the dog are paying for all of my medical and vet bills, and their dog is being evaluated to see whether or not it's stable enough to be trusted not to attack again. I'm just so frustrated and heartbroken. Everything is okay and being handled, but I'm still in very dark place... Does anyone have any suggestions?
MykieYPR is offline   Reply With Quote