German Shepherds Forum banner

Venting on today's vet visit (weird comment)

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  joneser 
#1 ·
So today I took my 7 month old unaltered male pup to the vet for a recheck on his ear. About a week and a half ago I had taken him because his ear was painful to the touch and the vet (not the normal one we see) diagnosed it as an infection from environmental allergies. Since it was painful he would not let anyone near it and they had to take him in the back and , as the vet put it, have someone sit on him to put the ointment in.
Today ear is much better, they put more in. When we got there initially I noticed my pup acted nervous, whining, I am sure stemming from what happened at the last visit. Vet said last time and this time that my pup has a great temperment, and our usual vet had said this as well. he asked me if we were looking to neuter, I said no, explained I was looking to get him titled in Schutzhund and was advised not to(this vet didnt know what Schutzhund was.) I also have decided for the well being of my dog down the road not to neuter but wasnt getting into it with this vet. I also told him IF we get him titled and he proves himself there is a SLIM chance we MIGHT consider breeding him. Vet then stated that he thought neutering him now would be a good time before he becomes a territorial shepherd(?) and then asked me how he was at home because he seemed nervous to him ( what did he expect after what he had been through) and to consider his "nervous temperment" if I was going to ever breed him. I know personally that once you have a bad experience from a dr that it sticks with you, I just thought this was a off the wall comment considering. Sorry so long...thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Dogs with sound nerves bounce back remarkably from pain and bad experiences; Delgado was licking the vet's face while being restrained for blood work and never flinched. He jumped on a patio table once and when he jumped off got his toe stuck between the glass and the frame, I came running when he cried and found him hanging by that toe. Later on that day he was sitting back up on the table again. He was neutered at the vet and still wagging his tail and accepting hugs from the staff as we were leaving, despite the fact he knew that something happened to him there

If you feel that the experience was bad then go out of your way to make the next ones wonderful. Stop by randomly, get him weighed and have the staff give him treats if they have time. Show him that good things happen there and build up that confidence and trust in them. Both you, the dog, and the staff will be better off for it

#3 ·
I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.

#4 ·
My only thought to threads like this is...

Why let it bother you?

If you live with the dog and you know the dog, then what's the problem?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.

#6 ·
I wouldn't sweat it, but if it bothers you, change vets. I go to the vet for diagnosis of medical problems and administering medical care. I don't care what they think about how I train, whether I neuter or breed, etc.

#11 ·
One vet wrote "caution!!" On my males record for no reason. Also strongly pushed for neutering. Vets can be like that. Current vet said he is his favorite dog, doesn't push for neutering, understands that a strong dominant dog has a place in the world and all dogs aren't meant to be everyone's indiscriminate friend

Switch vets. Let the current one know why

#12 ·
I don't trust all vets, but it says something about the breed if all the vets I've dealt with have something to say about the decline if quality GSD's out there. Across the board they all agree on that if nothing else.

#13 ·
You ask a great question and I believe the only way you will receive the (best) answer you are looking for is to go talk to the vet who said these things and got you thinking.

Simply ask for clarification of their comments. You paid them for their services and "advice"...so go to the source and make him/her explain the rationale behind their comments and observations.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.