German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Scavanging
Thread: Scavanging
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
TEZPUR1976

Default Scavanging

I am thankful to all the members who have been so kind to offer their suggestion
on each and every message i have posted in various forum. Too many to thank each one of the kind souls, one by one. Once again I need suggestions.

I am almost getting nightmares with Duke's (my nearly 5 month old gsd pup) habit of scavenging from kitchen waste bucket and also trying to swallow every rotten stuff he may come across while training out doors.

He has learnt leave it command. In my presence, and with treats, he will behave like a well trained dog ready to participate in obedience trials. For instance he will leave immediately on command, and come for treat.

However the problem starts if i let him roam around a bit on his own. If i am out of sight (say another room) he will go to kitchen and attack the waste
bin or swallow some garbage. This is inspite of feeding him the best food i can afford.

This pains me deeply, as not only it looks so mean but also dangerous. A friend of mine had a doberman with great drives and no control over his greed.
The dog was poised to death by burglar. I fear same consequences given Dukes behavior.

All this positive reward based methods seems to be a game to him. Duke is so smart that as soon as he sees food in my hand he will perform every command in the book. But left alone, even briefly, he is a different dog altogether?

Is this a problem in his pedigree? His father is a very serious good guard dog.

Perhaps a bit too negative because of my frustration.

I look forward to your kind suggestions.

Best regards

Santanu
TEZPUR1976 is online now   Reply With Quote