German Shepherds Forum banner

Rescue dog acting up

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Las Presitas 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

First off I'd like to thank you guys for your help ahead of time.

I brought home a dog from the pound a week and a half ago, the first week she was with me she was calm fairly obedient. I was able to go out for periods of time without having to worry about her while she wandered my home.

However, this weekend, she has been a complete nightmare. She doesn't act up when I'm gone, she acts up while I'm busy at home. She's gone through 2 pairs of sandals already. She is chewing up everything in her path with the exception of her own toys.

The first week I brought her home, she would walk on leash and not pull, excessively. She'd listen when I tell her to get out of places and would step away and not bother me when I am eating dinner. However these pass couple of days she is getting out of control.

She is not allowed in the kitchen and the first week she understood that, she would stand outside the kitchen and waited for me if I was in there. But now she would slowly get farther and farther in if my back is turned to her. She doesn't listen anymore if I tell her to "Get out", I have to walk towards her to force her back, she used to just back off and lay down. If I'm busy and not paying her any attention she would go chew up things she's not allowed to. Before typing this, I was trying to eat dinner and in that 15 minute period I didn't pay her any attention, she ate up a pair of sandals I just bought an hour ago to replace the pair she chewed up last night. She has 4-5 different chew toys out, one of which is a kong with treats inside, but she ignores her chew toys if I'm not paying her any attention.

I know that she has a lot of energy and needs to run around more, but she is injured and the vet says to hold off on any kind of activity for another week or so. I take her out on walks 3-4 times a day for 15-45 minutes at a time. She chases her balls/bouncy toys around the house.

What would you guys recommend? How do you prevent your dogs from chewing up stuff around the house, the sandals were not the only thing she's chewing up.

See less See more
#2 ·
She's gone through 2 pairs of sandals already.
lol
i am sorry but this is your fault
how i would address it is leash her to you so you can keep an eye on her
crate her when you are busy in the shower
put up a gate and stop scolding her
she is now feeling comfortable in your home

put up things you dont want her to chew
my dogs are assorted ages and i don't trust them to not chew things up!!
dogs will be dogs and if she's young then you are looking at puppy stage until 18 mos to 2yrs or more in some cases!

remove all the non toys inc sandals
and put out all the dog chew things

#3 ·
It seems to me that the first week she was on her best behavior. Now, she is relaxing and settling in and testing the rules. Your post didn't mention her age. Her behavior does seem to be like an adolscent dog about 8 - 12 months. To stop the chewing, I would dog proof the house - don't leave any sandals or anything that is chewable out where she can get it. I would also tether her to me with her leash so I can redirect the behavior with a toy and where I goes, she goes. If I am sitting at the computer, she is on the down/stay with a chew toy by my side and so on. If I can't watch her, I would put her in her crate. I would also play scent games with her - hide a treat and she finds it.

#4 ·
Prevent destruction by removing things she can destroy, and monitoring. No shoes, socks, whatever left out.. and if she's really determined, keep her tethered to you. Also introduce her to crating. A week and a half is still VERY new... chances are she was never taught what was appropriate, and chances are she is feeling a bit of anxiety. She also sounds bored.

What kind of obedience work are you doing? How are YOU interacting with her? What are you doing to work her brain, since her body is in recovery?

This is far, far, far from out of control. Rethink your expectations of a brand new adoptee and your relationship will progress much quicker.

#5 ·
Tire out her brain. Take a cup of kibble and toss it around in the grass. Let her use her nose to find all the pieces. This activity tires out a dog mentally and since her exercise is limited, it's a great way to tire out a dog.

Some times I do it in a quiet part of a park with the dog on a 30 foot lunge line.

My dog expects to play this game everyday. He just loves it:)

#6 ·
Oh, goodness. This is a good example of what not to do with a dog that's fresh from the shelter (FFS)...

She's been living in a cage in a shelter for...a while. She was insecure last week. She's feeling more secure, so all the pent up anxiety, energy, and even play that she couldn't express in the shelter are going to come out. They need to come out so that she can start to settle down. You still don't even know who this dog is--it takes more then two weeks for all the FFS energy to dissipate. Shelters are stress-filled places for most dogs!

No FFS dog should have run of the house when I'm not supervising them. My fosters don't even earn that after a month with me! That's inviting trouble. They don't know you, or know this place, much less have any inkling of your "rules." They might as well have been dropped on Mars and have Martians talking at them--it's all alien to them. Many of them haven't even been inside a house, ever. She has no clue how to distinguish your things from her things right now -- it's not her fault.

The first couple week, you should have NO expectations of training. Let them instead learn to trust you, learn the rhythm of the house, and its sights and smells. To that end, the advice you were given to keep the dog on a leash next to you is spot on! Tie the leash to your belt. I even put a special low hook in my kitchen so that I can have my foster dog leashed close-by when I'm cooking--they can smell, and watch, and experience.

My goal with any FFS dog is to set the dog up to always be in the right place, doing the right thing -- that way they experience lots and lots of positive reinforcement (and there's no need for corrections--if they screw up, it's on me because my job was to set them up to succeed during this critical time).

What happens in the 2 weeks of "leash time" is the dog starts to see you as the source of all things good--esp. companionship. You start bond. They start to trust you and respect you. THEN you have a good foundation for training.

You can't expect a FFS dog to magically not pull on a leash when you go for a walk. Dogs aren't born with leash manners. They're acquired through good training.

Can you sign up for a good obedience course? I think you and the dog would benefit tremendously. You'll learn terrific skills and communication techniques. You'll learn how to show the dog the behaviors you want. It will deepen your bond.

Crates are incredibly important too. Please properly crate train though -- don't just stick a FFS dog in the box. Make it a good, safe place. Feed in the crate. Give lots of treats in the crate with the door open at first. Give the dog a sanctuary, so when you have to leave the dog, or need to take a break from the dog, it won't be traumatic.

#7 ·
I like to hand feed dogs. Not just mine. Amazing how they love u after that. Lol really builds a bond. Especially if it's hamburger.
My puppy ate a few shoes, and all my fault. I left the closet door open. She is over a year now and very well behaved in our home, but if we r both gone for longer than normal, some plastic thing might be chewed. The latest was a little toy soldier I left on the bathroom floor after my nephews visit. Once again my fault.
I tethered her to me as a pup and made it much easier to potty train too. Just keeping her on a leash for a while inside is a great idea. And crating when ur gone,
Work on bonding, the rest will come. Just remember she is not doing it on purpose. She wants to make u happy, just doesn't know what u expect yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.