German Shepherds Forum banner

9 week puppy not understanding me?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pyratemom 
#1 ·
Hello I am a proud new owner of a 9 week old german shepherd pup name walle. I got him on sunday from a friend, what ive noticed today is that he is sleeping alot and eating and drinking and sometimes like to play but i know thats normal for a puppy, but the thing is is that when i picked him up on sunday I noticed the old owner(my friend) was speaking spanish to all the pups. Now my concern is that my family ethnicity is vietnamese, and i was wondering
if we kept speaking to him in our language will he eventually catch on?

#2 ·
Of course he will. Dog's don't understand any of the languages we use and never will. They identify what we are trying to say by the sound of it. So if a dog is brought up in a Spanish-speaking family it does not mean he will not listen to orders in Vietnamese. You just have to consistently give him the orders and show him how to do it so he gets what you mean

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
No it doesn't matter what language she was raised around, she will adapt with patience and consistency in training from you. Remember she’s very young so keep training sessions very short and fun! Build the bond and relationship as you need to become the best thing every in her life :)

My first dog was a rescue at 8 years old and when I got him he was going deaf, within a few months I taught him commands in sign language so when he became completely deaf we were still able to communicate. There's no such thing about being too old or young to learn ;)

#4 ·
Agree!! Dogs don't even speak our language. They go off of are feeling and what they are taught to do, by the sound it makes or by copying your action. They say ,when you are loud or tell your dog to stop barking, they only think you are barking back. Which makes them bark back. Not because they are being disobedient. It's just how they interpret it. You could say the meanest thing to your dog, and do it in a happy/love tone, and they will get all happy. Thinking they did something good. If that makes sense.

Give it a little time. Your pup is still young and Adjusting to the new surroundings with out mom and the litter mates.

#6 ·
Mine was the first English voice Raina heard. She was bred and born in Germany where of course they all spoke German to her, then flown over on Luftansa to Miami where she likely heard only Spanish in the cargo area. I spoke to her in English from the beginning and she had no problem switching over. She was 12 weeks old when I got her. Sometimes, now that she is 6 years old she pretends she doesn't know what I am saying though, like when its time to come in and she just noticed the terrier down the street is coming along on its walk. LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.