German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD vs Malinois?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Blitzkrieg1 
#1 ·
So this video came up on my FB today:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=674779019265854&id=131817526895342

My first thought was it seems a little high impact for puppies (regardless of breed)...but then the comments said that Mals don't need the extra care like GSDs because they don't have the hip problems, is this true?

I always thought low impact was recommended for any medium sized dog and up at least until they are a bit older. Can someone enlighten me?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
These are dogs bred for work. What matters is the perform a job from age 2-6. The guys performing training don't worry to much about potential damage they are doing. Whilst I do think that sort of stuff is extreme I wouldn't risk that with my 8 week old.
We as "pet" owners care about our pup. Dogs bred specifically for a job will risk it.

The mal is more robust than the gsd, it is also lighter and matures at a slower rate. So you can go a little harder on them whilst younger.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
That wasnt high impact, I have seen a lot of that kind of puppy imprinting. Nice obstacle course.
I have seen Mal pups that age sent to swim across a body of water with fire/smoke pots floating in it with a decoy waiting to give them a bite on the other side.

Heard of another euro breeder that has a lot of high end mals that takes her pups out into a lake in a boat and dumps them over the side so they have to swim for shore.

#4 ·
That wasnt high impact, I have seen a lot of that kind of puppy imprinting. Nice obstacle course.
I have seen Mal pups that age sent to swim across a body of water with fire/smoke pots floating in it with a decoy waiting to give them a bite on the other side.

Heard of another euro breeder that has a lot of high end mals that takes her pups out into a lake in a boat and dumps them over the side so they have to swim for shore.
OK, I got to ask this. What does dumping pups over the side of a boat to swim for shore accomplish? Only the strong survive? I can see it maybe as good low impact exercise, but that's all I can think of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.